POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Pierre Bellavan » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Help me please. I have just purchased Dynastar Speed SX skis, with
Salomon SP-850 bindings. The dealer made a small error, installing the
bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
mark on my ski boots.

I have read in magazine reviews that these skis are "best skied
forward in the driver's seat" and that "all it takes to start a turn
is centered, soft pressure".

Should this error be corrected? If yes, how? I want to know before I
call him if I will have to ask for new skis or if the holes can be
plugged and the bindings reinstalled by the dealer.

Thanks

Pierre

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by terry mor » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Help me please. I have just purchased Dynastar Speed SX skis, with
> Salomon SP-850 bindings. The dealer made a small error, installing the
> bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
> mark on my ski boots.

2 mm? That's 0.1% the length of a typical ski, way too small to worry about.

terry

--
Palo Alto, CA
Park City, UT
http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Taff » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>The dealer made a small error, installing the
>bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
>mark on my ski boots.
>Should this error be corrected? If yes, how? I want to know before I
>call him if I will have to ask for new skis or if the holes can be
>plugged and the bindings reinstalled by the dealer.

2 mm will make no difference at all Pierre, don't worry about it. You can
affect the way your ski handles by mounting the binding fore or aft of the
boot centre mark, but you won't notice 2 mm.

The bindings can be remounted, but probably don't need to be. If you remount
these ones, they will have to go fore or aft of the existing holes,
obviously this defeats the object of remounting them! An alternative would
be to use a binding with a different drill pattern, you can remount over
boot centre without drilling too close to the original holes.

Taff

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Aaron Danie » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

First, find me a PAIR of skis that are mounted within 2 mm of each other
without using a self-centering jig (rare) and Jesus mounted them.

Second, how do we know they are 2mm from ski center? Ski measurement, or
graphic in topskin.

Third, who can tell the difference in 2mm? Maybe Hermann Meier? Maybe?

Come on. There's perfect and then there's right. 2mm is right and darn close
to perfect.

Aar

Quote:

>>The dealer should mount the bindings on NEW skis and put the mismounted
ones
>>on his demo program.  While skis can be remounted if the old holes are
>>plugged appropriately, no way you should pay for new skis and get
remounted
>>ones.

>Pierre - I would agree with the above.  There is another option.  Talk to
the
>dealer and suggest that you ski on the skis and if you like them, then
would he
>give you a $75 store credit to cover his mistake.  If you don't like them,
then
>he should give you another pair, or re-mount them and give you the $75.
Most
>dealers that I know would gladly give you the $75 store credit.  BUT, they
>should do something!

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by SPORTS L » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>The dealer should mount the bindings on NEW skis and put the mismounted ones
>on his demo program.  While skis can be remounted if the old holes are
>plugged appropriately, no way you should pay for new skis and get remounted
>ones.

Pierre - I would agree with the above.  There is another option.  Talk to the
dealer and suggest that you ski on the skis and if you like them, then would he
give you a $75 store credit to cover his mistake.  If you don't like them, then
he should give you another pair, or re-mount them and give you the $75.  Most
dealers that I know would gladly give you the $75 store credit.  BUT, they
should do something!  
 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by SPORTS L » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Most all ski shops do use a self centering jig   Also on many skis the 2 cm
difference on mounting points would be equal to a total of one size in boot
size.  If possible try any "good" ski with a moveable ESS or Atomic binding and
move the toe piece one position and see what the difference is.  Maybe it is
noticeable to you,  and maybe not, but the fact is that 2 cm is a mistake, and
the customer should not be expected to accept it.  We have made these mistakes
and I hate it, but we do make it right when it happens.  S--- does happen, but
it should be cleaned up !
 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Alex Hen » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>Most all ski shops do use a self centering jig   Also on many skis the 2 cm
>difference on mounting points would be equal to a total of one size in boot
>size.  If possible try any "good" ski with a moveable ESS or Atomic binding and
>move the toe piece one position and see what the difference is.  Maybe it is
>noticeable to you,  and maybe not, but the fact is that 2 cm is a mistake, and
>the customer should not be expected to accept it.  We have made these mistakes
>and I hate it, but we do make it right when it happens.  S--- does happen, but
>it should be cleaned up !

He didn't say 2cm, he said 2mm. That is hardly enough to be able to
see.

If he meant centimetres, then you would be right, but if he meant
millimetres,as he said, I cannot believe it makes a difference.

--

Alex Heney, global villager

Please remove NO and SPAM from above
address if replying by email.

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Pierre Bellavan » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Most all ski shops do use a self centering jig   Also on many skis the 2 cm
>difference on mounting points would be equal to a total of one size in boot
>size.

It was 2 mm. (or 0.2 cm.) not 2 cm.

Pierre

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Hugh Griers » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Help me please. I have just purchased Dynastar Speed SX skis, with
>Salomon SP-850 bindings. The dealer made a small error, installing the
>bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
>mark on my ski boots.

2cm would matter.  2mm is nothing.  Go skiing.
 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Taff » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

There is a big difference between 2 cm and 2 mm ;>)

Quote:

>Most all ski shops do use a self centering jig   Also on many skis the 2 cm
>difference on mounting points would be equal to a total of one size in boot
>size.  If possible try any "good" ski with a moveable ESS or Atomic binding
and
>move the toe piece one position and see what the difference is.  Maybe it
is
>noticeable to you,  and maybe not, but the fact is that 2 cm is a mistake,
and
>the customer should not be expected to accept it.  We have made these
mistakes
>and I hate it, but we do make it right when it happens.  S--- does happen,
but
>it should be cleaned up !

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Cras » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Help me please. I have just purchased Dynastar Speed SX skis, with
> Salomon SP-850 bindings. The dealer made a small error, installing the
> bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
> mark on my ski boots.

<>

If it is in fact 2mm, lean forward an extra 1/8 inch. If it is 2cm then
lean forward an extra inch. If it is 2m you are screwed. I want to know
how you even MEASURED the difference?
--
                 \--*  )) That's my opinion stated as fact

                 /--*//   Deal with it [wk]
Vail - it only matters with cigarettes

 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Tony2tu » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
> The dealer made a small error, installing the
>> bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
>> mark on my ski boots.

If you tilt your head one way or the other, it can give you more than 2 mm
difference. I had a boot in a jig(the tool used to center the holes) two weeks
ago, and just happened to notice the center mark on the jig and the center
marks on the boot did not line up and were at least 2 mm off. This should not
be, unless those marks are not that accurate to begin with. Granted , moving
the binding fore and aft does make a difference in the performance of the ski,
but I wouldn't worry about only 2 mm.
-2turn
 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by SPORTS L » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I earlier answered that the 2mm would make a difference.  I must have been in a
fog - 2mm. won't make any difference.  4mm will. That is the amount of the ESS
position changes which can be felt.  
 
 
 

POSITIONING BINDINGS ON SKIS.

Post by Anthe » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> installing the
> bindings 2 mm. behind the centering mark on the skis relative to the
> mark on my ski boots.

Just don't clip your toenails so often. They'll provide the extra
forward weighting you need to compensate for that 2mm.

--
Ant!                               -=DUH#18=- (Y2)
Skitrips:
Canada: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1298/
Utah: http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/cobb/188/