Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Walter A » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00


I just found out that K2, having bought out Ride/Device, has taken the
Device step-in bindings off the market. They didn't spin off the company,
they didn't incorporate their design into K2 products, and they didn't
continue to sell Device bindings with the K2 label --- they just made them
disappear. Device bindings don't exist any more, and most of the great
people who designed and manufactured their bindings are now out of work.

Device was the first company to introduce external highback step-in bindings
over six years ago, and they were still regarded as one of the best, most
trouble-free bindings on the market. Now they're gone, because they made a
product that was way better than K2 and cheaper as well.

If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large, foreign
corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BY K2.

K2 SUCKS.

This concludes my rant. Thanks for listening.

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Arvin Chan » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
> disappear. Device bindings don't exist any more, and most of the great
> people who designed and manufactured their bindings are now out of work.

they have probably been reassigned to some other project... live clicker
hb or something.

Quote:

> Device was the first company to introduce external highback step-in bindings
> over six years ago, and they were still regarded as one of the best, most
> trouble-free bindings on the market. Now they're gone, because they made a
> product that was way better than K2 and cheaper as well.

I'm having trouble following you logic. If Device/Ride was so successful
in selling a great product, why does K2's clickers have a stronger
market share? And what is you reasoing behind linking Device's "success"
with their eventually downfall. This makes no sense to me. If it were
profitable, K2 would have kept the line going. It can't be that it was
stealing business from clickers because now they own both lines. Or are
you saying that K2 was so stupid that it ended a profitable product line
out of jealousy and short sightedness?

Quote:
> If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large, foreign
> corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
> smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BY K2.

YES! Power to you. DOWN with large corporations who outsource production
overseas factory. DOWN with INTEL! down with all RAM manufacturers... I
think you should lead our revolt by refusing to use all electronic
equipment using parts made by foreign industries that have monopolies on
the market... i.e. computers, cellphones, cars, etc...

Okay, I was being sarcastic and a bit excessive. My point is that this
is nothing new. Every computer, be it a Dell, Compaq, or iMac uses
components made by a foreign manufacturer. To give you a simple picture
of the consolidated monopoly these manufacturers had... when Taiwan had
an earthquake a few monthes ago, the price of all RAM chips nearly
doubled...

In conclusion, I have no problem with people not buying products because
they don't like the companies that sell them. I just have a problem with
people who believe themselves to be righteous in some way and try to
convince others of their m***convictions.

A more convincing argument might be the fact that K2 is closing many of
its factories in the the US and moving them to China as this brings into
question the continued quality of the product. This of course assumes
that K2 products were good to begin with... anyway, that's another topic
for another time.

That's the end of my rant

Arvin

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by drop » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> I just found out that K2, having bought out Ride/Device, has taken the
> Device step-in bindings off the market. They didn't spin off the
company,
> they didn't incorporate their design into K2 products, and they didn't
> continue to sell Device bindings with the K2 label --- they just made
them
> disappear. Device bindings don't exist any more, and most of the great
> people who designed and manufactured their bindings are now out of
work.

> Device was the first company to introduce external highback step-in
bindings
> over six years ago, and they were still regarded as one of the best,
most
> trouble-free bindings on the market. Now they're gone, because they
made a
> product that was way better than K2 and cheaper as well.

> If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large,
foreign
> corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
> smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING
BY K2.

> K2 SUCKS.

> This concludes my rant. Thanks for listening.

a little history folks.... K2 built its name through acquisitions. not
too many years ago K2 was a tiny little company. then it bought its way
into skis, inline skates, snowboards, mountaineering/biking and now
surfing (i am sure there are a bunch more that i am missing). if them
buying ride bothers you, you are a little late... this is how many
businesses build themselves. K2 still makes some dope equipment. that
is too bad about device, but that is how business works.

by the way, they are not a foreign company.
-drop

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Walter A » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> > disappear. Device bindings don't exist any more, and most of the great
> > people who designed and manufactured their bindings are now out of work.

> they have probably been reassigned to some other project... live clicker
> hb or something.

Uh, no. I called Ride and got into a conversation about the whole K2 buyout
and was told that the Device design team was let go. So much for your
cheery, naive assumption.

Quote:
> > Device was the first company to introduce external highback step-in
bindings
> > over six years ago, and they were still regarded as one of the best,
most
> > trouble-free bindings on the market. Now they're gone, because they made
a
> > product that was way better than K2 and cheaper as well.

> I'm having trouble following you logic. If Device/Ride was so successful
> in selling a great product, why does K2's clickers have a stronger
> market share? And what is you reasoing behind linking Device's "success"
> with their eventually downfall. This makes no sense to me. If it were
> profitable, K2 would have kept the line going. It can't be that it was
> stealing business from clickers because now they own both lines. Or are
> you saying that K2 was so stupid that it ended a profitable product line
> out of jealousy and short sightedness?

K2 has greater market share for the same reason McDonalds does, money and
marketing power. If you put up glossy ads in every magazine and wine and
dine shops to sell and push your product, then you're going to get a lot of
market share. Just look at AOL. AOL sucks donkey***, but it's the most
popular and successful ISP in the country because they've got the bucks to
shove those annoying free CDs everywhere you can think of, as well as
bombarding you with every sort of advertising imaginable. Do you really
think that the most popular brands and products are always the best?

Device was selling a great product at a low price and K2 wanted to take that
chunk of market share so they simply bought them out. Why waste money on two
seperate development and manufacturing companies, right? Device was probably
selling their bindings at a lower profit than K2 is accustomed to so they
just made Device disappear so they'd have one less competitor to worry
about -- one less company to be compared with. Why waste money improving
your product when you can just eliminate the competition?

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> > If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large,
foreign
> > corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
> > smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BY
K2.

> YES! Power to you. DOWN with large corporations who outsource production
> overseas factory. DOWN with INTEL! down with all RAM manufacturers... I
> think you should lead our revolt by refusing to use all electronic
> equipment using parts made by foreign industries that have monopolies on
> the market... i.e. computers, cellphones, cars, etc...

> Okay, I was being sarcastic and a bit excessive. My point is that this
> is nothing new. Every computer, be it a Dell, Compaq, or iMac uses
> components made by a foreign manufacturer. To give you a simple picture
> of the consolidated monopoly these manufacturers had... when Taiwan had
> an earthquake a few monthes ago, the price of all RAM chips nearly
> doubled...

I was emphasizing the greedy corporate thing, not the foreign thing.
Normally I couldn't care less where these things are made. But the fact that
the company doing this *** little deed happens to be foreign just adds
insult to injury. I would feel the same if it were an American company
putting a small but popular Japanese company out of business.

Quote:
> In conclusion, I have no problem with people not buying products because
> they don't like the companies that sell them. I just have a problem with
> people who believe themselves to be righteous in some way and try to
> convince others of their m***convictions.

> A more convincing argument might be the fact that K2 is closing many of
> its factories in the the US and moving them to China as this brings into
> question the continued quality of the product. This of course assumes
> that K2 products were good to begin with... anyway, that's another topic
> for another time.

If you can't see the sad reality of a big company swallowing up and
destroying a very popular and successful smaller company who sold a better,
cheaper product to a loyal customer base, then that's your problem. I guess
you wouldn't mind if K2 bought out Burton and took their products off the
market as well. You're probably a huge Nike fan too. How generic can you
get? I just love big corporate cheerleaders.
 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Kevin Ka » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

True and not true,

Device stuff will be around next year, although it won't be k2s flagship
step it.  It will be packaged with Liquid and 5150 boards to be sold at
sporting goods stores and the like.

kev
manager
berkeley boardsports

--
Kevin Kan

http://www.kan.org/kevin

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Richard » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
> If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large, foreign
> corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
> smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BY
K2.

Ever stopped to think that a lot of people on this NG are "foreign"? I'm
tempted to write something anti-American (which ain't too hard) but I'll
refrain...
 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Walter A » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Quote:


> > I just found out that K2, having bought out Ride/Device, has taken the
> > Device step-in bindings off the market. They didn't spin off the
> company,
> > they didn't incorporate their design into K2 products, and they didn't
> > continue to sell Device bindings with the K2 label --- they just made
> them
> > disappear. Device bindings don't exist any more, and most of the great
> > people who designed and manufactured their bindings are now out of
> work.

> > Device was the first company to introduce external highback step-in
> bindings
> > over six years ago, and they were still regarded as one of the best,
> most
> > trouble-free bindings on the market. Now they're gone, because they
> made a
> > product that was way better than K2 and cheaper as well.

> > If any of you have an ounce of self respect or disdain for large,
> foreign
> > corporations ramming their products down your throat while wiping out
> > smaller companies making quality products, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING
> BY K2.

> > K2 SUCKS.

> > This concludes my rant. Thanks for listening.

> a little history folks.... K2 built its name through acquisitions. not
> too many years ago K2 was a tiny little company. then it bought its way
> into skis, inline skates, snowboards, mountaineering/biking and now
> surfing (i am sure there are a bunch more that i am missing). if them
> buying ride bothers you, you are a little late... this is how many
> businesses build themselves. K2 still makes some dope equipment. that
> is too bad about device, but that is how business works.

Well, I have nothing against acquisitions per se, but there's a big
difference between buying out a company so you can sell their products or
incorporate their features into your own, and buying out a company just so
you can eliminate their competing product from the market.

Quote:

> by the way, they are not a foreign company.
> -drop

I believe Clickers are made by Shimano, which sounds Japanese to me.
 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by og » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Happens all the time.  That's business.  GE paid $150 milion dollars for the
old Financial News Network
just to take them off the air.   Usually when a buyout like that occurs the
target company will have a "no
compete" agreement for several years but after that period of time they can
start up with a new idea.
Williams Telecommunications did this.   Fact is the Device people CHOSE to
be bought out.   They were
probobly losing money.

steve

Quote:
> Well, I have nothing against acquisitions per se, but there's a big
> difference between buying out a company so you can sell their products or
> incorporate their features into your own, and buying out a company just so
> you can eliminate their competing product from the market.

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by B » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> by the way, they are not a foreign company.
> -drop

Doesn't that depend on where you live???

B.

 
 
 

Don't Buy K2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Arvin Chan » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
> K2 has greater market share for the same reason McDonalds does, money and
> marketing power. If you put up glossy ads in every magazine and wine and

Which means they are the more sucessful company, despite having a
inferior product... ok, still means K2 is a smart company in the
corporate sense.

Quote:
> Device was selling a great product at a low price and K2 wanted to take that
> chunk of market share so they simply bought them out. Why waste money on two
> seperate development and manufacturing companies, right? Device was probably

That doesn't make sense (the second part)... if K2 wants to keep
Device's market share, they would keep the line running. Otherwise,
discontinuing the line makes all former Devices users look for something
new... and while K2 does have a strong market share, why leave things up
to chance.

Quote:
> selling their bindings at a lower profit than K2 is accustomed to so they
> just made Device disappear so they'd have one less competitor to worry
> about -- one less company to be compared with. Why waste money improving
> your product when you can just eliminate the competition?

Again, once their own Device... it is no longer a "competitor." All the
money goes to K2 now. Unless you are suggesting that there are some
internal struggles going on within K2 (between clicker and device teams)
I don't see how you can say that K2 considers one of its own products to
be a competitor with another one of its products since that would
technically be true for all of its products (clickers vs. clicker hb vs.
straps).

Another thing, I think I also don't agree with your comment about the
Device line not making enough profit... If the Device line was making
any profit at all, I believe the K2 would have kept it. I believe that
the Device line was probably losing money and so they axed it. That's a
smart thing for any company to do, regardless of how technically sound
the product was.

Quote:
> I was emphasizing the greedy corporate thing, not the foreign thing.
> Normally I couldn't care less where these things are made. But the fact that
> the company doing this *** little deed happens to be foreign just adds
> insult to injury. I would feel the same if it were an American company
> putting a small but popular Japanese company out of business.

While you say you were emphasizing the "greedy corporate thing, not the
foreign thing." You nevertheless believe that two are related in some
way don't you? When you say that
since "company doing this *** little deed happens to be foreign just
adds
insult to injury." implies that it is some how worst to be a foreign
company... less why would it be more insulting than if a fellow America
company did it.

Quote:
> If you can't see the sad reality of a big company swallowing up and
> destroying a very popular and successful smaller company who sold a better,
> cheaper product to a loyal customer base, then that's your problem. I guess

Again I find that it is funny that you don't equate "popular" with
market share. You say that it is very popular, but admit that it has a
smaller market share. How is it that Device can be more popular than K2
and have less people buying their product? Are the opinions of the
Device users some how more important?

Again, if a small company becomes successful it would a) have a big
market share b) become a big company...

How are you judging popularity and success?

Quote:
> you wouldn't mind if K2 bought out Burton and took their products off the
> market as well.

It's funny that you mention Burton. Are you saying that you don't think
Burton is forcing out smaller companies (either intentionally or
unintentionally) with its dominate position in the market? Isn't Burton
a big corporation? How is Burton different from K2?

Arvin