Running in the snow.

Running in the snow.

Post by Doug Frees » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:17:11



Quote:

> Trig:

> # It depends on my level of fitness. Currently, I run 15 miles a week.

> I run 3 to 5 times a week. Earlier this year, I was running over 20

> miles a week with a bicycle in the mix as well.

> Well advice over the internet ... you know you get what you pay

> for ...

> First thought is weight is not bad 187 for 6 foot seems like 175ish or

> 170ish would be somewhat better.

#I agree on the weight. In fact I like to go to 165.

I was 165 on a 6 foot frame and I did not run any faster  or further and
often queried by friends if my cancer was under control. I hang a 170-175
all year and feel fine.

Quote:
> For a runner 15 to 20 miles a week is a pretty low base weekly mileage

> but again varies somewhat by age and how your feet/knees etc tolerate

> mileage.

#I am trying not to over do it. I'll reach 20 miles when
#I am in better shape.

DFo ityn slow bugty don't doo all with speed.

Quote:

> Get off the pavement/asphalt/concrete as much as you can and onto

> trails with softer footing soft dirt / hard dirt / even gravel and

> rocks are better on lower body than man made materials!

#***ized track, gravel, lawn, and some pavement in
# that order.
#I suspect one of the faults of track of any form and
#pavement is that the steps tend to all the same.

Roads or track do not work all the foot, ankle tendons, muscles.  Varying
the surface to something other than flat track, road, like uneven trails is
better for you feet and injury prevention.  if the happen to have some
undulation, even better.

-D

 
 
 

Running in the snow.

Post by jerry9 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:27:08

I never got chance to run in snow However if i will get chance i will
not take it. I try to avoid cold as it effects me badly i get sick.
Still don"t know how it feels to run in snow. Hope the people who have
one that have wonderful time.

--
jerry99

 
 
 

Running in the snow.

Post by Nun Give » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:31:49

Quote:

> I never got chance to run in snow However if i will get chance i will

> not take it. I try to avoid cold as it effects me badly i get sick.

> Still don"t know how it feels to run in snow. Hope the people who have

> one that have wonderful time.

> --

> jerry99

In fresh snow, its ok; in deep snow it is hard; in packed
snow it can get to be somewhat dangerous, YMMV.

The snow is gone, today but I ran yesterday. I lost track of
the laps and failed to bring a stopwatch; therefore, I ran
until I stopped.

Weather is cooling, imagine that as it is winter.........Trig

 
 
 

Running in the snow.

Post by Doug Frees » Sat, 12 Jan 2013 21:36:57


Quote:
> The snow is gone, today but I ran yesterday. I lost track of

the laps and failed to bring a stopwatch; therefore, I ran
until I stopped. >

FWIW, unless I'm specifically doing a speed workout where timing must be
exact, I leave my watch home.  Once you  watch(pun intended) your time while
you run, and/or record your times after your run, you will stay a pace geek.
Try leaving the watch at home and just count the laps if you prefer  gerbil
loops. If you forget to count good unless you run end up abusively long. I
have various courses with predetermined miles and enjoy many  carefree runs.

-D

 
 
 

Running in the snow.

Post by Nun Give » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:25:54

Quote:



> > The snow is gone, today but I ran yesterday. I lost track of

> the laps and failed to bring a stopwatch; therefore, I ran

> until I stopped. >

> FWIW, unless I'm specifically doing a speed workout where timing must be

> exact, I leave my watch home.  Once you  watch(pun intended) your time while

> you run, and/or record your times after your run, you will stay a pace geek.

> Try leaving the watch at home and just count the laps if you prefer  gerbil

> loops. If you forget to count good unless you run end up abusively long. I

> have various courses with predetermined miles and enjoy many  carefree runs.

> -D

There is some truth in what you say. Gerbil loops but at least not coyote
bait or cougar dining. I have been an object to be buzzed by
certain birds in town so ........In town I am amazed how few people
actually stay outside anytime other than going to the automobile.

And yes I've run in the country................Trig