Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Michae » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:57:42


Friends of mine tell me you can run through this injury. I haven't tried
and I can't imagine it. What do Ya'll think?

Michael

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Todd » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:22:46


Quote:
> Friends of mine tell me you can run through this injury. I haven't tried
> and I can't imagine it. What do Ya'll think?

> Michael

Michael,

I've run through it.  It got worse.  Eventually it ruptured (I usually say
"snapped" because that's what it felt like).  Then it got better.

Some comments on running through it:

1.  Don't.
2.  Most other means of treating it are successful.
3.  Don't complain about the pain because it won't help to complain.
4.  It'll wake you in the middle of the night and keep you from getting a
decent night's sleep.
5.  You may be able to run with it, but don't expect to walk.  Practice your
limp.
6.  If it ruptures, the pain will eventually go away.
7.  If it ruptures, expect residual weakness in the arch.
8.  I had it both feet.  For 2.5 years.  One foot was cured when I bought
new shoes for work.
9.  Don't run through it.

Todd

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Jenn e f » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:54:00

<< Subject: Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Date: Mon, Oct 30, 2000 8:57 PM
Message-id:  >>

<< Friends of mine tell me you can run through this injury. I haven't tried
and I can't imagine it. What do Ya'll think? >>

Contrary to the subsequent post, I've run through it and continue to run
through it.  It's been a persistent injury, seriously painful at times for
almost 7 years.

I believe the key to "running through it" is to practice the proven therapies
often.  (and they've been repeated here in rec.running often if you search
recent posts.)

My Podiatrist never suggested to me to stop running after he diagnosed the
injury, but strongly recommended stretching *often*, running on uneven surfaces
*often*, night splint *often* and motrin as needed.

------------
Jennifer - and it's spelled "y'all"

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Jeff » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:55:16

As with any other injury, it all depends on the severity whether or not you
can run through it.  Try running easy for a couple of days if you can manage
it and see if it gets any better.  If not, take it extremely easy for a
while or even cross-train for a few days.

I ran through it for a couple months over the summer, but I found that I was
pretty much ok if I warmed up thoroughly.  Also, experiment with adding arch
supports to your shoes.  It might just help.

-jeff


Quote:
> Friends of mine tell me you can run through this injury. I haven't tried
> and I can't imagine it. What do Ya'll think?

> Michael

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Wpacarro » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:57:08

I had severe pain on the bottom of my heels in the morning. Walking was hard.
It got better once I warmed/woke up. After seeing my podiatrist, getting some
arch supports, then installing some over the counter orthotics (hard plastic
but shapeable in hot water), my pain disappeared instantly. The orthotics keep
my plantar fascia from stretching too much and inflaming that area. Definitely
worth a try. Good luck and God bless.

b

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Todd » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:42:06



Quote:
> << Subject: Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

> Date: Mon, Oct 30, 2000 8:57 PM
> Message-id:  >>

> << Friends of mine tell me you can run through this injury. I haven't
tried
> and I can't imagine it. What do Ya'll think? >>

> Contrary to the subsequent post, I've run through it and continue to run
> through it.  It's been a persistent injury, seriously painful at times for
> almost 7 years.

> I believe the key to "running through it" is to practice the proven
therapies
> often.  (and they've been repeated here in rec.running often if you search
> recent posts.)

> My Podiatrist never suggested to me to stop running after he diagnosed the
> injury, but strongly recommended stretching *often*, running on uneven
surfaces
> *often*, night splint *often* and motrin as needed.

My Podiatrist suggested I stop running, which I did, for 5 months.  The PF
became worse.  He also gave me orthotics, which aggravated it and after
about 6 months, I threw those away.

I know of at least a dozen other people who have never had to run through it
and got rid of it by just taking a little time off and treating it with
stretching, using a ball on the bottom of the foot, orthotics, and
cortisone.  I know of one person that had the night splints and had the
surgery but never got rid of the pain.  Some people seem unable to run
through it and others adjust.

Good luck to anyone that has it.  T'ain't fun.

Todd

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Mike Conw » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:14:08

Quote:
>Some people seem unable to run
>through it and others adjust.

I'm sure it depends on the severity...I have run through two bouts of it, but
both were maddening and frustrating experiences.  The first occurrence was just
before a surgery on one of my ankles.  I basically couldn't run for six weeks,
and the first day I did run...the pain was still there!  At that point, I just
said "f**k it", and I ran through it.  After doing all the exercises and
stretches, it finally went away after about two months.

The next bout was relatively minor, lasted again about two months, and the
biggest adjustment I made was to run as much off-road as possible.  Worked for
me, anyway.  

Nowadays, I religiously stretch and do strengthening exercises for my feet and
step it up (pun intended) whenever the first sign of any pain begins.

Mike C

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Conal Guan-Yow H » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:43:14



Quote:
> I'm sure it depends on the severity...I have run through two bouts of it, but
> both were maddening and frustrating experiences.  The first occurrence was
> just
> before a surgery on one of my ankles.  I basically couldn't run for six weeks,
> and the first day I did run...the pain was still there!  At that point, I just
> said "f**k it", and I ran through it.  After doing all the exercises and
> stretches, it finally went away after about two months.

What kind of exercises do you do for plantar fasciitis? My understanding is
that plantar fasciitis comes about due to tight calf muscles (which
incidentally also can cause tibial stress).

Thanks,
C

___________________________________
Graduate Student
337 Social Sciences 1
Dept. of Anthropology
University of California-Santa Cruz

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Todd » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:01:21


Quote:
> >Some people seem unable to run
> >through it and others adjust.

> I'm sure it depends on the severity...I have run through two bouts of it,
but
> both were maddening and frustrating experiences.  The first occurrence was
just
> before a surgery on one of my ankles.  I basically couldn't run for six
weeks,
> and the first day I did run...the pain was still there!  At that point, I
just
> said "f**k it", and I ran through it.  After doing all the exercises and
> stretches, it finally went away after about two months.

> The next bout was relatively minor, lasted again about two months, and the
> biggest adjustment I made was to run as much off-road as possible.  Worked
for
> me, anyway.

> Nowadays, I religiously stretch and do strengthening exercises for my feet
and
> step it up (pun intended) whenever the first sign of any pain begins.

> Mike C

Mike,

I ran through a pretty severe bout of PF.  It ruptured while on a run.  I
can't begin to describe what that felt like.  It scared me when it happened.
I slowed down.  It didn't hurt any worse after the rupture than before, but
it did feel different.  So I ran the remaining 6 miles home.

I don't know of anyone else that ran until it ruptured, although I'm sure
there are others.  I don't recommend it.  The pain was constant, 24/7.
Worse in the mornings or when standing after sitting, but never leaving.  I
can't tell you what your pain was like, nor how bad the PF was.  Jennifer's
7 years is amazing.  But she is the exception.  I've known people with what
appeared to an onlooker to be pretty mild cases of PF that felt they were
disabled from it and wouldn't run, or hardly anything else.  We each react
to pain differently.  I would never presume that anyone else should do as I
did, or for that matter, what Jennifer is still doing.

The question was, can it be done.  The answer is yes, no matter how severe
the PF.  The unasked question is, should it be done.  The answer to that is
very personal for each individual.

Todd

BTW, I haven't had PF since then.

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Mike Conw » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:55:22

Quote:
>What kind of exercises do you do for plantar fasciitis? My understanding is
>that plantar fasciitis comes about due to tight calf muscles (which
>incidentally also can cause tibial stress).

Conal:

The types of exercises I do involve the basic "scrunching of the toes"...either
with a towel (imagine trying to pick the towel up using the "scrunching" action
of your toes), or other objects (golf balls, marbles, even a pencil or pen in a
pinch) that can be picked up using the same motion.  I remember reading about
it somewhere, and it has worked very well for me.

I would probably agree with you that the stretching is more important, but for
me, after suffering the two separate bouts of PF, I do as much as I can....hope
this makes sense!

Mike C

 
 
 

Ever run thru Plantar Faciitis?

Post by Michae » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:11:19

Thank you everyone who posted. I am taking all the replies seriously and
have decided not to run but to be patient. I haven't done or had time to
do much in the way of stretching ..... yet. Starting today I will and
hopefully I'll be on the road again in December.
This NG continues to amaze me. What a great  bunch of people, so willing
to help and share their knowledge and experiences, but I guess I
shouldn't be surprised. After all we're runners.

Thanks ....... "Y'all"

Mike  (did I get it right Jen?)

Quote:

> I had severe pain on the bottom of my heels in the morning. Walking was hard.
> It got better once I warmed/woke up. After seeing my podiatrist, getting some
> arch supports, then installing some over the counter orthotics (hard plastic
> but shapeable in hot water), my pain disappeared instantly. The orthotics keep
> my plantar fascia from stretching too much and inflaming that area. Definitely
> worth a try. Good luck and God bless.

> b