Timex GPS weirdness

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Tim Downi » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:29:35


Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and distance
watches losing the satellites and powering down even when the battery
indicator is OK?

I suspect I've just got a duff unit but it occurs to me the with the present
war situation, it's remotely possible that the satellite signal is being
mucked about with.

Any feedback appreciated.

Tim

--
It's only Usenet.  Nobody dies.

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Globaldi » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:07:11

Tim, sorry to have to inform you most of that stuff is half baked, you're the
beta my friend.  With this line, Timex is all screwed up....

no kidding...the problems are pervasive....and timex has even rolled back the
hopeful date of  release of the much anticipated Bodylink System 2.   They're
now claiming "maybe" for Christmas.....no kidding.  

Sure...they trot it out a trade shows...they press release it....but you can't
buy it as they know it's far too buggy.  And even when it's released....it will
be bugs galore!

For those not familiar...check this out...it's very cool...but it's basically
"vapor"...

andrew..

http://pr.timex.com/press_releases/pressrel_bodylink.jsp

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Tim Gros » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:19:17

Well this Bodylink system seems to be an excellent concept. I might hold
back on getting a Timex GPS or Nike speedo as have been waiting for a device
than has PC HRM download facility as well. Have you been wronged by Timex in
a former life Andrew?

As for Tim's original question, not sure but I did hear one passing comment
from a military commander the other day that the GPS in their bombs was much
more accurate the ones in people's cars. This I find a little odd as the GPS
in my car in fact correctly tells me I am outside my house when I am. I
thought the selective availability thingy which deliberately introduced
random error into public GPS systems was turned off (or maybe just reduced?)
a few years ago when Clinton was still running the show.

There's some speculation on this topic at
http://www.impossibilities.com/blog/entry_blog-96.html but no hard evidence.
As I haven't driven my car for a few days can't comment and whether I might
now get lost again...

Cheers
Tim


Quote:
> Tim, sorry to have to inform you most of that stuff is half baked, you're
the
> beta my friend.  With this line, Timex is all screwed up....

> no kidding...the problems are pervasive....and timex has even rolled back
the
> hopeful date of  release of the much anticipated Bodylink System 2.
They're
> now claiming "maybe" for Christmas.....no kidding.

> Sure...they trot it out a trade shows...they press release it....but you
can't
> buy it as they know it's far too buggy.  And even when it's released....it
will
> be bugs galore!

> For those not familiar...check this out...it's very cool...but it's
basically
> "vapor"...

> andrew..

> http://pr.timex.com/press_releases/pressrel_bodylink.jsp


 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Dot » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:08:23

Quote:

> As for Tim's original question, not sure but I did hear one passing comment
> from a military commander the other day that the GPS in their bombs was much
> more accurate the ones in people's cars. This I find a little odd as the GPS
> in my car in fact correctly tells me I am outside my house when I am. I
> thought the selective availability thingy which deliberately introduced
> random error into public GPS systems was turned off (or maybe just reduced?)
> a few years ago when Clinton was still running the show.

There's more than one kind of adjustment that takes place with those
signals, and I can't keep them straight. Some is discussed in these
links. It sounds like they might be more likely to use selective signal
jamming within the theater, or something.

http://gge.unb.ca/Resources/Iraq_and_GPS.html
http://www.msnbc.com/news/887551.asp?0sl=-22

I'm not sure what you've got in your car, but many handhelds
(consumer-grade) were getting precisions recently in the vicinity of
3-7m or 10-20+ ft (it jumps around a lot) (haven't used mine since Sun).
Before SA was switched, I think I used to get about 20m or closer to 60
ft or more. I believe resource-grade resolution is somewhere around a
meter, and survey-grade is about 1 cm.

However, there is also WAAS that can help you get better readings, but
it's too low on the horizon to help us here in AK.
And there's a correction procedure (differential GPS) if you've got a
base station, iirc.

What I was surprised about last night, I *thought* the reporter said
something like the GPS was accurate to about 20ft. I'm hoping either I
heard wrong or he was misinformed or said it wrong, since that's about
the same resolution as my handheld. I'm pretty certain the military can
do better than that. I was just googling to see if I could find anything
on that but couldn't.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by NoRac » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:14:06

Quote:

> Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and distance
> watches losing the satellites and powering down even when the battery
> indicator is OK?

> I suspect I've just got a duff unit but it occurs to me the with the present
> war situation, it's remotely possible that the satellite signal is being
> mucked about with.

> Any feedback appreciated.

> Tim

Even before the Timex Iroman 100 SDM, there was the Timex 100 Ironman
HRM. Guess what? Same problem. Anytime you change modes, the blasted
thing's display seems to blank out, and then, it searches for the HRM
chest strap (or, in your case, the GPS unit), and in some instances,
after the chrono's search "times out", the thing does a "master
reset", returning the chrono to "cold start" defaults.

I've returned one watch, to Timex, with this problem, only to get
another with the same exact problem.

It would be far wiser, for Timex (Timex are you reading this?), to let
the user initiate the "search for sensor", then letting the chrono go
into the search automatically. This, most likely, -won't- solve the
blank display/"master reset" problem, though. That needs to be
addressed, in software/firmware, by doing more robust bench and system
testing before releasing the instructions to production.

--
NoRacer
http://train.fitsense.com/processing.asp?DataShare={3132EA82-2A64-4A68-A4D5-D9299C2883DF}&UserID=3703

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Robert Kar » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:03:49

Quote:

>Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and distance
>watches losing the satellites and powering down even when the battery
>indicator is OK?

Tim, yes, I noticed this with mine earlier this week.  I didn't think
much about it until I saw your post.  It was just a couple of
momentary lapses and it didn't seem to affect the overall distance or
split information.
 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Roger Hunte » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:12:30


Quote:
> Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and distance
> watches losing the satellites and powering down even when the battery
> indicator is OK?

As we speak, an off-course Tomahawk is winging it's way towards you, homing
onto your Timex toy with "To Tim, love from Globaldisc" emblazoned on its
side.

And you thought the Yankees has no sense of humour...

Roger.

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Globaldi » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:34:22

As we speak, an off-course Tomahawk is winging it's way towards you, homing
onto your Timex toy with "To Tim, love from Globaldisc" emblazoned on its
side.
Roger.
_______

Roger, I give you 2 points on humor....but the truth is I am sure you're a nice
and very decent guy....i'd even go as far to say you're a better guy than
most...and I salute you for that Roger.  Yup....you're a nice guy in ***'s
clothing...

andrew....

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Bill-always hard-Rodger » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:10:53

Quote:
>Roger, I give you 2 points on humor....but the truth is I am sure you're a
>nice
>and very decent guy....i'd even go as far to say you're a better guy than
>most...and I salute you for that Roger.

Nevermind the other post, I'd rather YOU sent me some of what you've been
smoking.

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_v_)  
O o    

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Tim Downi » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:19:11

Quote:



>> Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and
>> distance watches losing the satellites and powering down even when
>> the battery indicator is OK?

> As we speak, an off-course Tomahawk is winging it's way towards you,
> homing onto your Timex toy with "To Tim, love from Globaldisc"
> emblazoned on its side.

> And you thought the Yankees has no sense of humour...

Since starting this thread, I've tried out my Timex with some *fully
charged* batteries.  Strangely, it seems to be working just fine now.  Oops.
;-)

Tim
--
It's only Usenet.  Nobody dies.

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Bill-always hard-Rodger » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:31:08

Quote:
>Strangely, it seems to be working just fine now.  Oops.

***in' moron! LOL Only on RR would you get a 200 post thread that ends with
"Oops! Batteries were dead" LOL

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_v_)  
O o    

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Sam » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:47:39


Quote:


> > As for Tim's original question, not sure but I did hear one passing
comment
> > from a military commander the other day that the GPS in their bombs was
much
> > more accurate the ones in people's cars. This I find a little odd as the
GPS
> > in my car in fact correctly tells me I am outside my house when I am. I
> > thought the selective availability thingy which deliberately introduced
> > random error into public GPS systems was turned off (or maybe just
reduced?)
> > a few years ago when Clinton was still running the show.

> There's more than one kind of adjustment that takes place with those
> signals, and I can't keep them straight. Some is discussed in these
> links. It sounds like they might be more likely to use selective signal
> jamming within the theater, or something.

> http://gge.unb.ca/Resources/Iraq_and_GPS.html
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/887551.asp?0sl=-22

> I'm not sure what you've got in your car, but many handhelds
> (consumer-grade) were getting precisions recently in the vicinity of
> 3-7m or 10-20+ ft (it jumps around a lot) (haven't used mine since Sun).
> Before SA was switched, I think I used to get about 20m or closer to 60
> ft or more. I believe resource-grade resolution is somewhere around a
> meter, and survey-grade is about 1 cm.

> However, there is also WAAS that can help you get better readings, but
> it's too low on the horizon to help us here in AK.
> And there's a correction procedure (differential GPS) if you've got a
> base station, iirc.

> What I was surprised about last night, I *thought* the reporter said
> something like the GPS was accurate to about 20ft. I'm hoping either I
> heard wrong or he was misinformed or said it wrong, since that's about
> the same resolution as my handheld. I'm pretty certain the military can
> do better than that. I was just googling to see if I could find anything
> on that but couldn't.

            I thought the military precision was under 1 meter.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> Dot

> --
> "Success is different things to different people"
> -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Dave B » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 00:05:08

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:29:35 -0000, "Tim Downie"

Quote:

>Has anyone else had trouble recently with their Timex speed and distance
>watches losing the satellites and powering down even when the battery
>indicator is OK?

I used mine today and over a well known portion of my route it was
right on.  
 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Tim Downi » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 05:36:00



Quote:
> >Strangely, it seems to be working just fine now.  Oops.

> ***in' moron! LOL Only on RR would you get a 200 post thread that ends
with
> "Oops! Batteries were dead" LOL

In my defence, I would say that the problem occured because the GPS module
takes 3 batteries and my charger takes 2 or 4.  This means that when I
charge the batteries, I'm always charging 3 flat and one near full battery.
This seems to confuse the charge indicator.  When I ignored the indicator
and left the batteries overnight, my problem disappeared.

Tim

Quote:

> Bill R.

> =============> - -- - (_v_)
> O o

 
 
 

Timex GPS weirdness

Post by Bill-always hard-Rodger » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:04:23

Quote:
>In my defence,

I didn't mean to be so *** you Tim (unless you bend over in front of me) it
WAS pretty funny.

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_v_)  
O o