Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by A.J. Howe » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Seems like Nike has gone over board.  I play chess, do you think I should
buy a special pair of shoes for that ?  Or can I get a cross trainer for
running and chess ?  It all seems blown way out of proportion that you need
a different shoe for every thing.  I know a little about shoes, and from
what I know you only really ned two pairs.  One for forward motion(running,
jumping, etc.) and one for side to side motion (tennis, racquetball, etc.)
Yes, there are some sports that require some special shoes, but I would
think only on an olympic level, and maybe not to the degree they have.
Equipment can help, but it is the desire/hunger and toughness that really
get you places.
 
 
 

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by Phil Margolie » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Seems like Nike has gone over board.  I play chess, do you think I should
> buy a special pair of shoes for that ?  Or can I get a cross trainer for
> running and chess ?

Cross trainers are OK, but if you're serious about chess, I suggest the Nike
Air Kasparov. :-)

Quote:
>  It all seems blown way out of proportion that you need
> a different shoe for every thing.  I know a little about shoes, and from
> what I know you only really ned two pairs.  One for forward motion(running,
> jumping, etc.) and one for side to side motion (tennis, racquetball, etc.)
> Yes, there are some sports that require some special shoes, but I would
> think only on an olympic level, and maybe not to the degree they have.
> Equipment can help, but it is the desire/hunger and toughness that really
> get you places.

True, but why let your shoes hold you back?

   -Phil

 
 
 

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by Andrew He » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>Seems like Nike has gone over board.  I play chess, do you think I
should
>buy a special pair of shoes for that ?  Or can I get a cross trainer
for
>running and chess ?  It all seems blown way out of proportion that you
need
>a different shoe for every thing.  I know a little about shoes, and
from
>what I know you only really ned two pairs.  One for forward
motion(running,
>jumping, etc.) and one for side to side motion (tennis, racquetball,
etc.)
>Yes, there are some sports that require some special shoes, but I
would
>think only on an olympic level, and maybe not to the degree they have.
>Equipment can help, but it is the desire/hunger and toughness that
really
>get you places.

IT WAS A JOKE! DID YOU READ THE HEADER OR THE LAST LINE?

Andy

 
 
 

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by A.J. Howe » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, I missed it.  i still do not see it.  I thought he meant Nike is a
joke.  I am little slow.  Please forgive me.
 
 
 

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by Dirk » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Sorry, I missed it.  i still do not see it.  I thought he meant Nike is a
> joke.  I am little slow.  Please forgive me.

I think the key to getting this one is the implausibility that Nike would
expect their target market to get a reference as obscure as Thomas Paine's
seminal pamphlet Common Sense (which IIRC had one of the great leads of all
time, "These are the times that try men's souls.")

Then again, Nike once broadcast a spot that featured people barfing to Iggy
and the Stooges' "Search and Destroy," so who's to say what they might try
next?

 
 
 

Nike 2000 (*running joke*)

Post by A.J. Howe » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Thank you for taking the time to explain that.  I see how it is funny, I
guess.
Quote:


>> Sorry, I missed it.  i still do not see it.  I thought he meant Nike is a
>> joke.  I am little slow.  Please forgive me.

>I think the key to getting this one is the implausibility that Nike would
>expect their target market to get a reference as obscure as Thomas Paine's
>seminal pamphlet Common Sense (which IIRC had one of the great leads of all
>time, "These are the times that try men's souls.")

>Then again, Nike once broadcast a spot that featured people barfing to Iggy
>and the Stooges' "Search and Destroy," so who's to say what they might try
>next?