weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by julye » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Hello!
Im 23 years old. I started running this
week. I havent exercised deeply for 5
years. I used to run 5 days
a week, 4 km a day, but that was a
long time ago. But now I'm on the road
again and I'm really happy for this
decision.
Here is my little question:
Since my ankles have always been
weak, do you think I should use an
ankle sock to get an adequate support
while running?
Thank you very much.

Julieta

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Carr » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I don't think an ankle sock is going to help at all.  A sock provides
very very very very little support if any.   You have "weak ankles"  do
you mean that you're prone to spraining it?  Do ankle circles for
exercise to try to strengthen the muscles responsible for supporting
the ankle joint.   Foot circles... whatever they're called - you know
what I mean.  Also watch out for uneven surfaces - that's why I like my
treadmill - no rocks!

- Carra



Quote:
> Hello!
> Im 23 years old. I started running this
> week. I havent exercised deeply for 5
> years. I used to run 5 days
> a week, 4 km a day, but that was a
> long time ago. But now I'm on the road
> again and I'm really happy for this
> decision.
> Here is my little question:
> Since my ankles have always been
> weak, do you think I should use an
> ankle sock to get an adequate support
> while running?
> Thank you very much.

> Julieta

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

--
http://fullspeed.to/mypicture - be warned!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Palme » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Also watch out for uneven surfaces - that's why I like my

Quote:
> treadmill - no rocks!

> - Carra

I have a treadmill but find running on trails helps make ankles stronger.
Just be careful and walk when your legs are tired, before you hurt your
ankles.

Palmer

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Carr » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Good point.  But also keep in mind that people with "weak" ankles need
to improve their flexibility.  This would prevent some sprains if you
do lose your footing.

- Carra



Quote:



> Also watch out for uneven surfaces - that's why I like my
> > treadmill - no rocks!

> > - Carra

> I have a treadmill but find running on trails helps make ankles
stronger.
> Just be careful and walk when your legs are tired, before you hurt
your
> ankles.

> Palmer

--
http://fullspeed.to/mypicture - be warned!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by jeff » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Not unless your ankles are already hurting - and even then I question the
usefulness of an ankle sock.

Be sure to stretch the ankle before running and strengthen (either by doing
the suggested exercise or trail running).

-jeff


Quote:
> Hello!
> I'm 23 years old. I started running this
> week. I haven't exercised deeply for 5
> years. I used to run 5 days
> a week, 4 km a day, but that was a
> long time ago. But now I'm on the road
> again and I'm really happy for this
> decision.
> Here is my little question:
> Since my ankles have always been
> weak, do you think I should use an
> ankle sock to get an adequate support
> while running?
> Thank you very much.

> Julieta

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Ruger » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Here's a good exercise not only for strengthening your ankles, but also
helps with overpronation:

Balance standing on one foot (barefoot), with your hands on your hips,
and put your other leg up behind you bent at the knee, as if you were in
"freeze frame" while running with your hands on your hips. Hold this
balance for 30 seconds, then do the same thing with the other leg. I do
these every day.

I hope the explanation wasn't too confusing!
Good luck,
Eric



Quote:
> Hello!
> Im 23 years old. I started running this
> week. I havent exercised deeply for 5
> years. I used to run 5 days
> a week, 4 km a day, but that was a
> long time ago. But now I'm on the road
> again and I'm really happy for this
> decision.
> Here is my little question:
> Since my ankles have always been
> weak, do you think I should use an
> ankle sock to get an adequate support
> while running?
> Thank you very much.

> Julieta

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

--
Ruger9
(formerly EricTheRed)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Conal Guan-Yow H » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00


on 2000-07-27 11:25 am:

Quote:
> Hello!
> Im 23 years old. I started running this
> week. I havent exercised deeply for 5
> years. I used to run 5 days
> a week, 4 km a day, but that was a
> long time ago. But now I'm on the road
> again and I'm really happy for this
> decision.
> Here is my little question:
> Since my ankles have always been
> weak, do you think I should use an
> ankle sock to get an adequate support
> while running?
> Thank you very much.

> Julieta

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Socks do not give you support of any kind, whether they're anklets, calf
length or no socks. You should train the muscles around your foot and lower
leg to strengthen your ankles.

C

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by Conal Guan-Yow H » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00


wrote on 2000-07-27 11:31 am:

Quote:
> I don't think an ankle sock is going to help at all.  A sock provides
> very very very very little support if any.   You have "weak ankles"  do
> you mean that you're prone to spraining it?  Do ankle circles for
> exercise to try to strengthen the muscles responsible for supporting
> the ankle joint.   Foot circles... whatever they're called - you know
> what I mean.  Also watch out for uneven surfaces - that's why I like my
> treadmill - no rocks!

> - Carra

Well, I guess that could work (i.e., running on the treadmill) but that's
not solving the issue of weak ankles. Believe it or not, trail running is
actually going to help strengthen the ankles. But you do want to be careful
if you already have a sprained ankle or are prone to spraining your ankle.
You might want to go do the strengthening exercises previous posts suggested
and then start trail running.

C

 
 
 

weak ankles... should I use ankle sock?

Post by julye » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thank you everybody for your advices.
Julieta

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.