You will thouroughly enjoy yourself....except of course for the
immense pain & exhausting physical effort!
MCM was my first in 1998 and I haven't run one since. But, I am
training for 2000. It really is a great marathon. Here is some
1. Don't touch the leaves at the starting line area, they will be
wet, and I don't mean from the dew!
2. Use the bathroom before you leave the hotel room or right when you
get to the starting area, those port a johns get ***, quickly.
3. If you want to see yourself in the starting picture they send you,
wear a flourescent green hat with a 2 foot brim the first mile. If it
has a three foot balloon attached to it, it would help.
4. When you cross the big red, white and blue timing mat before the
Linclon Memorial, don't look down and try to read what it says,
because that is where they take your individual picture.
5. When you are at that point, don't let yourself get behind an
overweight, big busted women because that is where they take your
6. If you go to the pasta supper at the Hyatt, fill your plate up as
high as you can get it, because they will run out of pasta.
7. On the morning of the race, if you take the Metro from the Hyatt to
the starting line, don't. Pay 5 or 6 bucks and get with a group and
take a cab. The scene at the station to board the train was horrible.
They actually had to pull the emergency switch on the escalators
because the boarding area was so packed, people could not get off of
the escalators when they were at the bottom.
8. Drink several scotches the night before the race.
9. Don't worry if you see people passed out on the side of the course
around the 14th street bridge, mile 23 or so, most of them will live.
They just had scotches the night before the race.
10. At mile 25, when I could barely put weight on my right knee
without buckling, I saw a t-shirt in front of me that seems almost
surreal now. It said "Always,....no, wait, it said, "Never......wait
that's not right either....oh yeah, I remember. It said,
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever."
And, believe me, it is.
Banner Elk, NC
>BTW, MCM 2K will be my first marathon.
>Potomac Falls, VA