I am, I'm going to, I am, really

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Jule » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:52:42


I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour. Oh
WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?
 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Jarno Hellstr » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:32:46


Quote:

> I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour. Oh
> WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

Its human.

It shouldn't be a habbit, but the way of life instead.

Good run!

Jarno

--
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.  - Robert Frost

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Roger 2 » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:36:07

Quote:

>I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour. Oh
>WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

I'll tell you what helped me get going again after "an enforced break."

To see a 2nd place trophy lost by only 21 seconds when I know I had more
before.  Yep, been running every day since that happened, but I don't plan
on making the same mistake I did earlier this year.

Thanks,
        Roger

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by SwStudi » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:49:11


Quote:
> I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour. Oh
> WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

If it were easy, there would be no pride in being a runner.

--
David (in Hamilton, Ont)
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
                                        Gen. George Patton
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

-

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Charlie Wyke » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:42:28


Quote:


> > I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour.
Oh
> > WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

> If it were easy, there would be no pride in being a runner.

> --
> David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
>                                         Gen. George Patton
> http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

Good answer David - one to keep to get me motivated.

Jules, I hope you got out for a while (it's a nice day for a run here in the
SE of England) - you've had an enforced break so don't beat yourself up
about the time it took or how far you went. The trick is to make that first
run mentally and physically fun - then you'll be all set for another....

charlie (just run a pretty good 6.5 miles except for the squashed squirrel i
stepped in by accident - eeuughh!)

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Thotful5 » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:40:58

Jules,
you aren't anywhere NEAR where charlie is, are you? if you are, look for the
squirrel with the footprint IN IT! eeewwww.
I wonder if he told his wife *what* he was washing off his shoes!!

Really Jules, it isn't easy to get back out there after a break of any length.
I know , I've been there too!

But just imagine all the good bits; the fresh air, the knowledge that you *can*
do it, the fact that after this first run your next one will be easier...and
your long term goal...to stay fit and healthy.( in that you are well ahead of
most of your peers)

just do what ever you feel up to, and next time do more!

One trick for me was mental. I chose my route, or loop, and decided on a time
in advance. I even wrote it down ahead of time.
 Sort of like keeping ANY other appointment...you'd do it for a friend or
colleague, right??
Do *this* one for yourself.
Cheers,
Teresa

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Oliver Boar » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:45:52

Hi Charlie,

I seem to recall you're from Luton. Will you by any chance be at the
marathon on Sunday? I've entered, but as part of a relay team (3 legs of
8.7miles).

Maybe see you there.

Oliver.


Quote:





> > > I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an
hour.
> Oh
> > > WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

> > If it were easy, there would be no pride in being a runner.

> > --
> > David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> > "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
> >                                         Gen. George Patton
> > http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

> Good answer David - one to keep to get me motivated.

> Jules, I hope you got out for a while (it's a nice day for a run here in
the
> SE of England) - you've had an enforced break so don't beat yourself up
> about the time it took or how far you went. The trick is to make that
first
> run mentally and physically fun - then you'll be all set for another....

> charlie (just run a pretty good 6.5 miles except for the squashed squirrel
i
> stepped in by accident - eeuughh!)

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Jule » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:29:48

Ooh - I've missed you lot! The fresh air is a little nippy and I'm VERY wary
of hurting myself, but I'm back!
And Theresa - what on earth did Charlie do? I must have missed that post.
I'm not that far from him, but not close enough to see a damaged
squirrel...(wish him luck for the Luton marathon relay by the way)

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Charlie Wyke » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:02:52

I'll be there as part of a team too. There are three teams based around
parents from my kids school having a go. And one more of 'us', Chris Read
(occasional poster here) running the whole thing. I'll be running a 2nd or
third leg, wearing blue shorts and a lime green 'view from' shirt (unless
it's very cold in which case I'll be unmissable in yellow tights).

Good luck Oliver :-)

charlie

Quote:
> Hi Charlie,

> I seem to recall you're from Luton. Will you by any chance be at the
> marathon on Sunday? I've entered, but as part of a relay team (3 legs of
> 8.7miles).

> Maybe see you there.

> Oliver.







> > > > I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an
> hour.
> > Oh
> > > > WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced
break?!?!?

> > > If it were easy, there would be no pride in being a runner.

> > > --
> > > David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> > > "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
> > >                                         Gen. George Patton
> > > http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

> > Good answer David - one to keep to get me motivated.

> > Jules, I hope you got out for a while (it's a nice day for a run here in
> the
> > SE of England) - you've had an enforced break so don't beat yourself up
> > about the time it took or how far you went. The trick is to make that
> first
> > run mentally and physically fun - then you'll be all set for another....

> > charlie (just run a pretty good 6.5 miles except for the squashed
squirrel
> i
> > stepped in by accident - eeuughh!)

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Oliver Boar » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:30:10

Thanks! Good luck to you too. We're team # 821, so say hi if you see me. Not
sure which leg I'll be running, but I'm the one who is not in his 40s
(that's Anu) and is not female (that's Meg). I'll most likely be wearing
navy blue shorts and white singlet with Nike shoes.

Hope to see you on Sunday.

With best wishes, Oliver.


Quote:
> I'll be there as part of a team too. There are three teams based around
> parents from my kids school having a go. And one more of 'us', Chris Read
> (occasional poster here) running the whole thing. I'll be running a 2nd or
> third leg, wearing blue shorts and a lime green 'view from' shirt (unless
> it's very cold in which case I'll be unmissable in yellow tights).

> Good luck Oliver :-)

> charlie

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Alan Goldstei » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:45:54

Jules, Bill Phillips of "Body for Life" says to think of your workout (run)
as something you are going to do, instead of something you hope you will do.
In other words, here are things you are GOING to do....NO DOUBT, they are a
part of your life - get out of bed in the morning, eat food during the day,
drink water during the day, go to work, come home, talk to your children,
run, talk with your wife, go to bed.You schedule a time (often unconciously)
for the GOING to do things.
There are other things you HOPE to do , but understand that you might not
get to them, running is NOT in that category.
It's just a mindset, but it helped me.

Quote:

> Ooh - I've missed you lot! The fresh air is a little nippy and I'm VERY
wary
> of hurting myself, but I'm back!
> And Theresa - what on earth did Charlie do? I must have missed that post.
> I'm not that far from him, but not close enough to see a damaged
> squirrel...(wish him luck for the Luton marathon relay by the way)

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by Layne Wallac » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:56:26

Hi, Jules,

Quote:

>I am going to go out today. I'm going to see how I go for half an hour. Oh
>WHY is it so easy to get out of the habit after an enforced break?!?!?

I know you weren't necessarily looking for suggestions but, ... :-) I was
working at the computer today after not running for two days (too much work)
and suddenly jumped up, put on the togs, and took off. Scared me. I guess
that sometimes we have to force the run and sometimes the run takes over.

Good luck and good running,
Layne

 
 
 

I am, I'm going to, I am, really

Post by pa.. » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:57:20

Just get dressed and, well, do it!  I got out of the habit for about 2 years now,
sporadically running a day here and there.  But now I'm back into it.  

The trick I discovered was to not obsess over it... have fun like running on the
beach when you're on vacation.  No watch.  No worrying about how long I'm out.  I
just go.  Once I'm dressed I'm pretty much committed.

I discovered a great dirt/gravel road that runs back to the golf course maintenance
shack.  It's really, really short and is a hill, but I LOVE it.  I will run from
the house to the access road (about 5 minutes) and then spend the rest of the time
on the "trail."  I will run up and down it several times and then head on back to
the house.  I tell myself that I'll just head up to my trail and go up and down
once and back home.  Usually I will do at least 3 up and down circuits unless it is
getting dark.  This seems to work for me.  I am ready to bolt out the door and get
to my gravel road.  I don't get totally pounded by the pavement and people's dogs
don't chase me.

Lose the worrying about not being fit anymore and just get started.  Walk as much
as you have to at first.  Eventually your body will get back in the grove.  And
lose the watch and any mileage plans.

This has got me going at least 4 days/week for the past month.  

Oh yeah... buy some new shoes or tights or something!  I got a pair of Montrail
Vitesse (for my BIG trail run, eh?) and they've made all the difference.

PG