long overdue update

long overdue update

Post by Michell » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 04:31:04


When I left the group, I sorta promised to provide any updates that were
appropriate.  There weren't any until today.  I participated (I can't say
competed in all honesty) in the Iron Girl 5K this morning.  Here is my
report:

This was my first event since last year's Iron Girl. It was in Fountain
Hills, AZ, and is a vast improvement from last year's Scottsdale venue.
However, in the six years since I started doing the Iron Girl, there
definitely has been some shortfalls, especially in the after-race meals.
The first few years I participated, there were efficient lines and real
food: hot dogs, watermelon, bagels, chocolate milk, juices, etc. Last
year, the lines were so long that many of us didn't bother to partake.
This year, each finisher got a box of "food" at the finish line. It had
humus, some sort of baked chips, dried edamame, a nuts and dried fruit mix,
a power bar, and a square of chocolate. The only beverages available were
the bottles of water each finisher got at the finish line.

This was my first year in the 70-74 age group, being fif*** days after my
70th birthday. As with last year, I walked it. My time was 47:40, for a
pace a fraction under 15:23, which was about 23 seconds per mile off my
goal pace. I came in 2nd of three finishers in my age group, 2:17 faster
than 3rd place (536 of 734 overall); I know there were at least two other
starters in the age group, though. Even if I had been able to run it, I
would still have come in 2nd in AG because the first place time of 31:45
was faster than my fastest 5K. The person who set that time has competed
in the Kona Ironman six times, so there's no shame in her being faster than
I could ever be.

I didn't train as much as I should have or wanted to, but I'm content with
what I did. Next year, I'll try to make sure I train better, and maybe,
just maybe, I'll be able to run it.

-- Michelle

 
 
 

long overdue update

Post by rms » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:55:58

When I left the group, I sorta promised to provide any updates that were
appropriate.

    And a great one it is, yay!  I like that idea of a food box; pretty
high-class for a 1/2hr event :)

rms

 
 
 

long overdue update

Post by Michell » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:55:25


Quote:

> And a great one it is, yay!

Thanks.  Even though I walked it, it felt really good to be back in an
event.  I'm not calling it a race or a competition, because for me it was
neither because I walked it.

Quote:
> I like that idea of a food box; pretty high-class for a 1/2hr event :)

There was also a ten-mile race there; they got the same food box.  There
were 360 finishers in that race, in addition to the 734 in the 5K.

Two things I forgot to include in my original report:

1.  Although when registering, we had to indicate whether we were going to
walk or run the 5K, there weren't separate run and walk 5K events or
awards.  I don't understand why they made that distinction in the
registration.

2.  The organizers cleverly created the 5K route so it was downhill both at
the start and at the finish.  (Of course that means there were uphills
somewhere in the middle of the course.)  The first few hundred feet and the
last 1.1 miles were all downhill.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.

 
 
 

long overdue update

Post by Doug Frees » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:13:56



Great to see you back.   Chin up and keep moving  forward!!!  :)

Quote:
> 1.  Although when registering, we had to indicate whether we were going to

walk or run the 5K, there weren't separate run and walk 5K events or
awards.  I don't understand why they made that distinction in the
registration. >

I get this at times with the races that I direct especially with awards.  As
for walking awards, you really cant offer them unless you have race
officials along the entire course to verify that a "walker" did not run some
of the race. This opens Pandora's box and lots of strife.   Then there is
walker A accusing walker B of some illegal form and requesting someone to be
DQ'ed.  To avoid this quagmire you don't do it.  If anyone thinks the honor
policy works, well, it doesn't  in competition.

Why  they allow you designate bat registration, I can only guess. They may
provide a separate list  of times for walkers or possibly add a W
designation to denote a walker and list all the 5k finishers.

Hope this helps.

-D

 
 
 

long overdue update

Post by Ken » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 00:47:37



Quote:





>Great to see you back.   Chin up and keep moving  forward!!!  :)

>> 1.  Although when registering, we had to indicate whether we were going to
>walk or run the 5K, there weren't separate run and walk 5K events or
>awards.  I don't understand why they made that distinction in the
>registration. >

>I get this at times with the races that I direct especially with
>awards.  As for walking awards, you really cant offer them unless
>you have race officials along the entire course to verify that a
>"walker" did not run some of the race. This opens Pandora's box and
>lots of strife.   Then there is walker A accusing walker B of some
>illegal form and requesting someone to be DQ'ed.  To avoid this
>quagmire you don't do it.  If anyone thinks the honor policy works,
>well, it doesn't  in competition.

>Why  they allow you designate bat registration, I can only guess. They
>may provide a separate list  of times for walkers or possibly add a W
>designation to denote a walker and list all the 5k finishers.

>Hope this helps.

>-D

I've known events that have two separate results sheets. One is time
sequenced for runners, and the other, for walkers, is alphabetical.

If walkers are  doing the event as a non-competitive personal challenge,
it may be considered  against the ethos to give position based awards.
--
Ken