why high schools runners don't run fast

why high schools runners don't run fast

Post by DANRUNNE » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00


i am a 17 year old high school runner who can run the 1600m in the mid
4:30.
the reson most high school runners don't run fast is because we don't get
any support it is really fun to win a race and see two people in the
stands. the kenyans are supported in there running from a very young age
so they have people to fall back on for m***suport. when the general
public starts to actually payatention to us running in general and high
school running you will see high school runners times droping because its
no fun to win if know one knows you won.

 
 
 

why high schools runners don't run fast

Post by Eric Buckle » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> i am a 17 year old high school runner who can run the 1600m in the mid
> 4:30.
> the reson most high school runners don't run fast is because we don't get
> any support it is really fun to win a race and see two people in the
> stands. the kenyans are supported in there running from a very young age
> so they have people to fall back on for m***suport. when the general
> public starts to actually payatention to us running in general and high
> school running you will see high school runners times droping because its
> no fun to win if know one knows you won.

Now let's talk about why high schoolers can't punctuate. (Don't feel too
bad; I got a grammar flame not too long ago.)

To your point, however: I think fan support counts, but is overrated. I
raced bicycles for 15 years and only at the national level meets were
there any big crowds. Attendance at high school meets (yes, there *are*
high school cycling meets) was usually somewhere around zero. But that
didn't stop the US from producing several Olympic and World champions
over the last 20 years. In cross country skiing, there is even less fan
interest, but Koch won the world cup. High school swim meets are
generally attended only by parents and friends, but the US brings home a
boat load of medals from each Olympics.

There is obviously something else at work in the development of athletes
in these other sports. I really don't know what it is, but fan support
it ain't.
________________________
Eric Buckley
Comsys Millenium Services
eMail: remove NoSpam from above
Standard disclaimer - I speak for myself and nobody else.

 
 
 

why high schools runners don't run fast

Post by Charles Tuto » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> the reson most high school runners don't run fast is because we don't get
> any support.
> school running you will see high school runners times droping because its
> no fun to win if know one knows you won.

I'm not sure about high school runners running fast because they don't get
any m***support, but I do agree that runners do not get any
acknowledment.  My freshman year in high school we were the national
champions, won the state meet for a second time in a row, and were the CIF
and league champions.  There was maybe 10 people in the school who knew
about it!  

Also, out college team is fairly good.  However, our school doesn't give us
the support we need to take a full team to the meets.  We have a van that
seats 14 people.  We need to take a mens and womens team (14 people right
there) plus the coach and a trainer.  In past years this wasn't a problem
because the team didn't usually have a full team 14 members.  This year was
different and Coach sacrificed the trainer (not really good when we had
injuries) to take an extra runner.  There was 2 meets when we (the team)
were given a bus to take our full team of 20+ runners.  Our football team
has won 3 games in about 4-5 years.  They got all new equipment this year
and are getting new uniforms next year.  Our team had to have a fund raiser
just to raise money for uniforms because ours are about 10 years old.  This
is hardly fair.  Runners deserve equal treatment!  

 
 
 

why high schools runners don't run fast

Post by Trione » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The "no support" and "no interest" situation with highschool
track is nothing new. When I was in HS in the late 70's we
had a stable of really great runners at my highschool
including, provincial and national champions in both
cross-country and track. Despite the success, the last
place football team would have hundreds of people out
for the games and individual players a significant amount
of exposure and recognition at the school. In the end after
4 years of wins and championships there was a bit of
redemption, my good friend who was a provincial
champion in the 1500 and 3000 and in cross-country
and was also a member of the national junior
cross-country team that competed at the IAAF World
Cross Country Championships was elected as the school's
"athlete of the year" - the first runner/track athelete
to recieve the honour.  

Steve Fleck

 
 
 

why high schools runners don't run fast

Post by Gerry Krain » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:


> > the reson most high school runners don't run fast is because we don't get
> > any support.
> > school running you will see high school runners times droping because its
> > no fun to win if know one knows you won.

> I'm not sure about high school runners running fast because they don't get
> any m***support, but I do agree that runners do not get any
> acknowledment.  My freshman year in high school we were the national
> champions, won the state meet for a second time in a row, and were the CIF
> and league champions.  There was maybe 10 people in the school who knew
> about it!  

> Also, out college team is fairly good.  However, our school doesn't give us
> the support we need to take a full team to the meets.  We have a van that
> seats 14 people.  We need to take a mens and womens team (14 people right
> there) plus the coach and a trainer.  In past years this wasn't a problem
> because the team didn't usually have a full team 14 members.  This year was
> different and Coach sacrificed the trainer (not really good when we had
> injuries) to take an extra runner.  There was 2 meets when we (the team)
> were given a bus to take our full team of 20+ runners.  Our football team
> has won 3 games in about 4-5 years.  They got all new equipment this year
> and are getting new uniforms next year.  Our team had to have a fund raiser
> just to raise money for uniforms because ours are about 10 years old.  This
> is hardly fair.  Runners deserve equal treatment!  


Why not post your victories on the web!
Good luck,

Gerry Krainik

- Show quoted text -