Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Steve Freide » Mon, 21 May 2001 23:08:47


I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
assuming I keep taking it daily.

It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

Thanks in advance.

--
Steve Freides

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by SwStudi » Tue, 22 May 2001 00:47:48

You are lucky. Claratin dehydrates me and gives me
severe 'cotton-mouth' because of that. Even if I'm just
sitting around I must constantly drink. Unfortunately,
there's nothing I can do for the painful desert-like
conditions that get created in my sinus cavities, other
than crank up the humidifier and breathe directly
from it ;-)

...like I said, you are lucky none of this happens to you,
because Claratin sure works, I can't deny it! It just works
"too good" for me. And yes, I've tried reducing the dosage.
This just results in the same thing, but less. I just deal with
it.

--
David (in Hamilton, Ont)
"Why should I practice running slow? I already
know how to run slow. I must learn to run fast."
                                                   Emil Zatopek
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

-


Quote:
> I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
> Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
> running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
> yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
> assuming I keep taking it daily.

> It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
> runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
> notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Steve Freides


 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Michele Simar » Tue, 22 May 2001 00:53:51

I've been using Flonase and it has helped my nasal allergies quite a
bit. I use an inhaler for asthma too but I've found that the nebulizer
works better than the inhaler so I use that before running.
Quote:

> You are lucky. Claratin dehydrates me and gives me
> severe 'cotton-mouth' because of that. Even if I'm just
> sitting around I must constantly drink. Unfortunately,
> there's nothing I can do for the painful desert-like
> conditions that get created in my sinus cavities, other
> than crank up the humidifier and breathe directly
> from it ;-)

> ...like I said, you are lucky none of this happens to you,
> because Claratin sure works, I can't deny it! It just works
> "too good" for me. And yes, I've tried reducing the dosage.
> This just results in the same thing, but less. I just deal with
> it.

> --
> David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> "Why should I practice running slow? I already
> know how to run slow. I must learn to run fast."
>                                                    Emil Zatopek
> http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

> -



> > I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
> > Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
> > running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
> > yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
> > assuming I keep taking it daily.

> > It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
> > runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
> > notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Steve Freides


 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by CHRIS ANDERSO » Tue, 22 May 2001 02:59:35

I battle with hayfever in summer; beconaese nose spray is a big help as is
claratyn. I battle with breathlessness for a few weeks, so I have to
restrict my intensity a bit.
I have had excellent results controlling my allergy with food selection. I
limit my dairy intake and food/drink with yeast (beer, processed cheese
etc), cut out coffee and take a spoonful of local honey (homeopathic
suggestion as it exposes you to the pollens in low doses) once a day.
Sunglasses are essential too for itchy eyes
Good luck
-Chris


Quote:
> I've been using Flonase and it has helped my nasal allergies quite a
> bit. I use an inhaler for asthma too but I've found that the nebulizer
> works better than the inhaler so I use that before running.


> > You are lucky. Claratin dehydrates me and gives me
> > severe 'cotton-mouth' because of that. Even if I'm just
> > sitting around I must constantly drink. Unfortunately,
> > there's nothing I can do for the painful desert-like
> > conditions that get created in my sinus cavities, other
> > than crank up the humidifier and breathe directly
> > from it ;-)

> > ...like I said, you are lucky none of this happens to you,
> > because Claratin sure works, I can't deny it! It just works
> > "too good" for me. And yes, I've tried reducing the dosage.
> > This just results in the same thing, but less. I just deal with
> > it.

> > --
> > David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> > "Why should I practice running slow? I already
> > know how to run slow. I must learn to run fast."
> >                                                    Emil Zatopek
> > http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

> > -



> > > I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the
results.
> > > Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
> > > running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was
after
> > > yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the
influence"
> > > assuming I keep taking it daily.

> > > It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be
all
> > > runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise
didn't
> > > notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > --
> > > Steve Freides

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Ruge » Tue, 22 May 2001 03:47:06



Quote:
>I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
>Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
>running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
>yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
>assuming I keep taking it daily.

>It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
>runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
>notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

>Thanks in advance.

Claritin is the magic bullet for me. No drowsiness, no dry mouth, just
NO ALLERGIES! I take it ALOT less often these last few years, since
I've started taking vitamin supplements. I know there's no study
citing vitamin supplements helping allergies, but I have no other
reason why they would have been bad for years, then mysteriously
gotten better...at the same time I started supplements.

Eric

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Steve Freide » Tue, 22 May 2001 05:28:16

Do you use an inhaler?  I use one only before hard efforts and I'm wondering
if Claritin use might make me need my inhaler less or even at all.

-S-

Quote:



> >I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
> >Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
> >running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
> >yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
> >assuming I keep taking it daily.

> >It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
> >runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
> >notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

> >Thanks in advance.

> Claritin is the magic bullet for me. No drowsiness, no dry mouth, just
> NO ALLERGIES! I take it ALOT less often these last few years, since
> I've started taking vitamin supplements. I know there's no study
> citing vitamin supplements helping allergies, but I have no other
> reason why they would have been bad for years, then mysteriously
> gotten better...at the same time I started supplements.

> Eric

--
Steve Freides
 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Ruge » Tue, 22 May 2001 05:59:31



Quote:
>Do you use an inhaler?  I use one only before hard efforts and I'm wondering
>if Claritin use might make me need my inhaler less or even at all.

>-S-

My allergies do not cause anything like asthma symptoms/attacks. My
symptoms consist of severely itchy, red, watery eyes (to the point of
thinking I had conjuctivitus), sneezing, stuffy nose. No lung
distress, so I don't use an inhaler. I've never heard of using
Claritin for lung-distress-type symptoms.

Eric

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by tmac.. » Tue, 22 May 2001 05:00:28

I take Zyrtec and use "NasalCrom" (cromolyn sodium) inhaler.  Last week,
I was really tired, during the end of the week.  It was probably the
running.  This week, I didn't need Zyrtec and I felt good the whole
week.  I was still using the inhaler.  My grass pollen allergies start
in about a week.  I will have no choice, but to take Zyrtec, when grass
pollen starts.  In prior years, I hadn't noticed any problems, with
Zyrtec or Claritin.  I take the Zyrtec, because I get it really cheap,
but I think the the Claritin worked better. I've read, both may be soon
available, without a prescription.  That would be nice!  I also use some
kind of steroid eye drops, because that's my biggest problem, during
grass pollen season.  These drops make my vision blurry!
My allergies are hell for maybe 3 weeks, but It's a miserable three
weeks!

Troy    

Quote:

> (Steve?Freides)
>I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very
> pleased with the results. Anyone else who
> suffers from allergies and asthma have an
> comments on running while under the
> influence of this stuff? My first one was after
> yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my
> first run "under the influence" assuming I keep
> taking it daily.
>It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike
> Saturday afternoon and not be all runny eyed
> and drippy nosed. I was tired from my race
> but otherwise didn't notice anything effect I
> could attribute to the drug.
>Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Tom Osbor » Wed, 23 May 2001 10:26:34

I used to have hayfever and colds (passed to me by young offspring),
and at one stage an uninterrupted series of colds for 3 months.
I got asthma symptoms and an inhaler to use for a couple of
months. After than (months later) Sydney City to Surf time had
gone from somewhere in the 70s to 92:30.

I've been taking Claratyne (Aussie spelling) for five months without
any allergy/hay fever or colds (at all) - while there have been others
affected around me. Times are getting back where they should be.
[I'm aiming for 65:00 in the City to Surf this year].

Claratyne has few and rare side effects, which usually amount to dry
mouth and some sinus swelling for a small number of people. Zyrtec
has more side effects but still not pretty rare. Our office manager
once took Zyrtec after a glass of wine and felt like she was tripping...

These newer anti-histamines are a zillion times better than the old
kind. I can detect any drowsiness or spaciness from Claratyne.

Here's a web site with detailed information on Claratin (and you
can navigate to Zyrtec at the same parent site):

http://www.nyallergy.com/Treatments/Medications/Nose/Claritin.htm

Tom.

Quote:

> You are lucky. Claratin dehydrates me and gives me
> severe 'cotton-mouth' because of that. Even if I'm just
> sitting around I must constantly drink. Unfortunately,
> there's nothing I can do for the painful desert-like
> conditions that get created in my sinus cavities, other
> than crank up the humidifier and breathe directly
> from it ;-)

> ...like I said, you are lucky none of this happens to you,
> because Claratin sure works, I can't deny it! It just works
> "too good" for me. And yes, I've tried reducing the dosage.
> This just results in the same thing, but less. I just deal with
> it.

> --
> David (in Hamilton, Ont)
> "Why should I practice running slow? I already
> know how to run slow. I must learn to run fast."
>                                                    Emil Zatopek
> http://www.angelfire.com/nc/swstudio/racing.html

> -



> > I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
> > Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
> > running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
> > yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
> > assuming I keep taking it daily.

> > It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
> > runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
> > notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Steve Freides

 
 
 

Claratin: Allergies, Inhalers

Post by Rei Shinozu » Sat, 26 May 2001 20:16:13

2 years ago, I started on Claritin, Nasonex, Serevent and Flovent, all for
allergies and exercise induced asthma.  the combination has made all the
difference to me.

my only problem is occasional dry throat.

-rei



Quote:
>I took my first Claratin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.
>Anyone else who suffers from allergies and asthma have an comments on
>running while under the influence of this stuff?  My first one was after
>yesterday's 5k race and Tuesday will be my first run "under the influence"
>assuming I keep taking it daily.

>It was _great_ to go out and ride a bike Saturday afternoon and not be all
>runny eyed and drippy nosed.  I was tired from my race but otherwise didn't
>notice anything effect I could attribute to the drug.

>Thanks in advance.

>--
>Steve Freides