Race pace clock?

Race pace clock?

Post by Miles Laki » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Has it ever been suggested that a marker or a clock be placed at the > first quarter mile or half mile?  Even just a marker will tell me my

Of course if they could try something really radical, like mark a 5km
race in kms...

Quote:
> to start out slow during the race and finish fast.

Not so much 'slow' as a 'realistic' or maybe 'conservative' pace.

An HRM might be one solution to hold you back for the first mile,
especially if you are going out so fast that you are just blowing up.

Otherwise, it'll just come with experience. IGNORE all the other
kamikazes!!! Just don't look :-) Concentrate on not going over a pace
that you think you might have a fighting chance of hold for the duration
of the race.

  Miles

 
 
 

Race pace clock?

Post by Rick Gerwi » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm a beginner and have run three 5K races so far.

>Based on what I've read in the NG and my own experience, I would like
>to start out slow during the race and finish fast.  The problem is
>that I can't judge my pace yet.  By the time I get to the first
>marker/clock I'm one mile into it.  If I've run too fast I can't
>recover for the last 2.1 miles.  I end up doing the last part of the
>race slower.

>Has it ever been suggested that a marker or a clock be placed at the
>first quarter mile or half mile?  Even just a marker will tell me my
>pace sooner and allow me to slow down before it's too late.

>I don't know if this makes any sense to the more experienced people
>out there.  Maybe there's a better way.  Opinions?

Since you are just starting out, it might just be an issue of experience.
You might try some different strategies for going out slower--starting
farther back in the pack, for example. Knowing that people are usually
running faster than they think in the first mile, I used to try and find a
pace that felt comfortable in the first couple of hundred yards, then backed
off a notch or two. It was almost certain that the *comfortable* pace was
too fast, so I used that as my benchmark and slowed down. As the race
progresses, you will get a better feel for how you are doing and can make
adjustments. Plus you get to watch people *coming back* to you the rest of
the race.

Rick Gerwin

 
 
 

Race pace clock?

Post by Fabien » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Start by calculating your time over the 5Km.
For example, you'll do a 3:30 min a Km
You start your first Km in about 3:40 (groupstart slows you down !)
Second and third Km you do in the calculated pace.
If you still feel OK, at Km 4 you speed up to about 3:20. If this pace still
leaves you some breath, push all out in the last Km.
Notice that I use this tacticts in 10 and 15 Km races with a HEART RATE
MONITOR !
If I feel OK and my HR tells me the same, I move up the pace, if it doesn't,
I just hang on to what I'm doing !

Have fun on the run

Fabien

 
 
 

Race pace clock?

Post by NAM » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

        That is great, but I have a feeling the original post came from one of
us Yanks where race distances are in kilometers, but splits are in miles (except
for a few races like Bolder Boulder---God bless them).
        I agree with another poster that experienc will help greatly.
        Also, if you have access to the course ahead of time, find some distinct
landmark at the quarter or half mile mark and use that to pace yourself.
Quote:

>Start by calculating your time over the 5Km.
>For example, you'll do a 3:30 min a Km
>You start your first Km in about 3:40 (groupstart slows you down !)
>Second and third Km you do in the calculated pace.
>If you still feel OK, at Km 4 you speed up to about 3:20. If this pace still
>leaves you some breath, push all out in the last Km.
>Notice that I use this tacticts in 10 and 15 Km races with a HEART RATE
>MONITOR !
>If I feel OK and my HR tells me the same, I move up the pace, if it doesn't,
>I just hang on to what I'm doing !

>Have fun on the run

>Fabien

 
 
 

Race pace clock?

Post by Conal Guan-Yow » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I totally agree. As a pretty seasoned 5k and 10k runner all my first
races in the various distances have always started out too fast. My first
5k was too fast and so was my 10k. As much experience I'd like to think I
have, I still started out my first half marathon (this past Sunday) too
fast. There's always, for me, the anxiety to beat my own record and to
"prove" to folks that I can do it. So I start out too fast not wanting to
be "hindered" by other folks. One thing I learnt in my 1/2 marathon which
I didn't learn from other races because I cramped up in this one, is that
one of the rewards of starting out conservatively is to be able to
eventually pass all those buffoons like me(Kidding :) who started out too
fast.

Conal

: Otherwise, it'll just come with experience. IGNORE all the other
: kamikazes!!! Just don't look :-) Concentrate on not going over a pace
: that you think you might have a fighting chance of hold for the duration
: of the race.
:
:
:   Miles