Allergy Attack

Allergy Attack

Post by S Ayre » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Here's a new one:

I had what I believe to be an "exercise induced allergic reaction". I've always had problems when I ate watermelon or cantaloupe (itchy throat, slight swelling of the lips) so I avoided these foods for the most part.

Yesterday, I had about 1/2 cup of mango, a fruit that I have eaten at least 3 times previous with no allergic reactions that I remember. About 1/2 hour later, I ran my 3 year old in the baby jogger 3 miles to a park. This took about 21 minutes. After 5 minutes of cool-down stretches, I sat down on a bench to wash my face and suddenly my eyes began to itch and swell. 30 seconds later my throat, tongue, lips, ...hell... MY WHOLE HEAD started swelling and itching. I called my wife on the wireless phone I was carrying (darn good thing to have!) and told her I was having an allergic reaction. She left the house to pick me up and bring me benadryl.

A moment after*** up, I realized that I was going to have to go to the ER so I called my General Practioner (following HMO rules) and he told me which hospital to go to. My wife showed up shortly and upon seeing my appearance proceeded to freak out (no really, she was great). She got my son from the playground while I swallowed antihistamine loaded up the baby jogger.

After riding for a couple of minutes, I started blacking in and out. My wife, being a pharmacist, recognized the onset of anaphylactic shock. She didn't think I would last the 20 minutes it would take to get to the ER, so she called and arranged transfer to an ambulance. Within 5 minutes, I was thrown in the EMS vehicle and was speeding down the road. On the trip to the hospital, the EMS tech proceeded to start an IV and shot me another dose of benadryl and gave me oxygen. In a few moments I was feeling some relief. At the hospital they gave my some sort of steroid and a few epinephrine/adrenalin doses. 4 hours later, I was released.

I shudder to think of what might have happened if I was running one of my solo, out and back routes without the baby jogger (hence, without the phone).

I did some research, and read that experts found links between allergies to ragweed pollen (I DO have that) and allergies to melons, kiwi, papaya, peaches, cherries, pears and a few others. But what's got me spinning is this "exercise induced" thing. It seems that if you're mildly allergic to a food, working out soon after consumption causes it to be "dumped" all at once into your system rather than just trickle in as if you ate and sat down to relax for the evening.

I'm calling today to get a prescription for "Epipen", a self-administered adrenalin injection. I probably won't go far away without my phone and first-aid kit. So that you will be able to recognize me during my runs, I'll be the bald, 39 year old man carrying the backpack :-)

Anyone know anything relating to or had experiences such as this?

--
Steve
(Reply address has been changed to protect the innocent)

 
 
 

Allergy Attack

Post by Kate Gillogl » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I don't know about the exercise-induced question, but I've heard of this
reaction to mangoes.  I have a couple of friends who can eat mangoes but
can't handle the skin, so they can't peel them themselves.  They tell me
it goes along with being sensitive to poison ivy.  There's some kind of
sap in the skin and bark of mangoes that's similar.  
What a close call you had!  You were very lucky.
Kate G.

 
 
 

Allergy Attack

Post by Threea » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>exercise-induced question

I have had some apparent seafood allergic reactions while on vacation at the
beach and doing some fairly hard hot weather workouts earlier in the day.  I
always wondered if the exercise in some way contributed to my susceptibility
although another time exercise did not seem to be involved but rather that
shrimp was relatively "uncooked" (only partly boiled correctly).

 
 
 

Allergy Attack

Post by tmac.. » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have the same problem. My list is:

cantaloupe
watermeon- the worst for me
Kiwi fruit- the second worst
carrots - raw only
bannanas
cauliflower- raw only

I thought it was because of grass pollen.
My esophagus becomes swollen and I can't breathe.  I think***is also
a problem.  
I thought I was unusual, until I did a web search.

Troy

http://SportToday.org/