Need a fish ID

Need a fish ID

Post by -hh » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:12:49


Okay gents,

http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/153.html

Looks like some sort of snapper ... but its coloration is dots.

Indo-Pacific region, not Caribbean.

-hh

 
 
 

Need a fish ID

Post by injipoin » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:04:01


Quote:
> Okay gents,

> http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/153.html

> Looks like some sort of snapper ... but its coloration is dots.

> Indo-Pacific region, not Caribbean.

> -hh

Harlequin Sweetlips.  I think.  I guess they're a kind
of Morwong of some sort.

 
 
 

Need a fish ID

Post by -hh » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:10:02


Quote:

> >http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/153.html

> > Looks like some sort of snapper ... but its coloration is dots.

> > Indo-Pacific region, not Caribbean.

> > -hh

> Harlequin Sweetlips. ?I think. ?I guess they're a kind
> of Morwong of some sort.

Yes, looks like a Harlequin...a new species for me.  Doesn't appear to
be a true Morwong member, though:  wiki puts it in the Haemulidae
family ... or more commonly, a type of grunt.

Thanks!

BTW, this one is also unfamiliar to me as well.  "Not a batfish",
clearly, but again, I'm not familiar with the Indo-Pacific:

http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/141.html

-hh

 
 
 

Need a fish ID

Post by injipoin » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:07:38


Quote:


>snipped

> BTW, this one is also unfamiliar to me as well.  "Not a batfish",
> clearly, but again, I'm not familiar with the Indo-Pacific:

> http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/141.html

> -hh

I think it's a Golden Spadefish.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Platax-boersii.html

http://www.cjclandandseaphoto.com/eLL_golden_spadefish.htm

It is a member of the batfish, just not called that.

I asked a couple of friends who didn't know but a third
insisted it was one of the batfish so I looked again.

 
 
 

Need a fish ID

Post by injipoin » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 17:52:01


Quote:



>> snipped

>> BTW, this one is also unfamiliar to me as well.  "Not a batfish",
>> clearly, but again, I'm not familiar with the Indo-Pacific:

>> http://www.photo-hh.com/temp/wakatobi-2/Pages/141.html

>> -hh

> I think it's a Golden Spadefish.

> http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Platax-boersii.html

> http://www.cjclandandseaphoto.com/eLL_golden_spadefish.htm

> It is a member of the batfish, just not called that.

> I asked a couple of friends who didn't know but a third
> insisted it was one of the batfish so I looked again.

One of my Balinese friends has just come back to me this morning
(they've been out on a liveaboard) and is trying to tell me its
a Longfin Spadefish.  However, when I looked them up, all have those
normal Batfish stripes.  I could only find one that looked like yours
so I think it's misplaced in among the Longfins.
I still think it's a Golden.