Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Wilkinso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:50:34


A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
the like.
thanks
 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by gweek.. » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:21:32

Quote:

> A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
> probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
> DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
> needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
> progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  

Try Skydive Delmarva!  It's a two hour drive from DC.  My wife and I did
our AFF there last year and we're now regular jumpers there. It's
certainly not a student mill.  After AFF there are many people willing to
help you finish your 'a' license.  The atmosphere is friendly, safety is a
priority, and the fun doesn't end when the jumping's done.

-Gregor

Quote:
> Closest to Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply
> because of transportation and the fact that he won't always have long
> weekends and the like. thanks


 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Wilkinso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:50:34


A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
the like.
thanks

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Wilkinso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:50:34


A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
the like.
thanks

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Wilkinso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:50:34


A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
the like.
thanks

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Mar » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:25:21

Hartwood is probably the closest DZ, but they had a big migration a few years
ago and I don't know if they've rebuilt their base of jumpers or not.  I'm not
even sure if they're still doing AFF.  I hear about the happenings at most
other ***ia DZs, but I'm "out of the loop" with regards to Hartwood.  

Skydive ***ia is one of the closest to DC, and is a friendly,
family-oriented DZ.  Orange is a similar distance (perhaps a few minutes
closer), and is more party-oriented.  Which DZ will be "the closest" depends on
where in the DC area you start from, and what route you take.

Orange and Skydive ***ia are both in the "same neck of the woods," so which
DZ you prefer will really depend on what you're looking for.  I've made about
200 jumps at Orange and at least 700 at Skydive ***ia, so I've put a fair
bit of time in at both DZs.  IMO, both have something to offer, it just depends
on what you're looking for.

Blue Skies,

Marc

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Tink » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:19:21

Skydive Delmarva, Cross Keys, Skydive Chambersburg are all roughly about the
same distance from downtown DC.  If your schedule allows weekday trips, then
Cross Keys is a good place.  If you are strictly a weekend jumper, then
Delmarva would be your best bet (Plus the beach is only a 1/2 hr away!)

--

 Insanity takes its toll, please have exact change...
The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
WWJD: (W)hat (W)ould (J)enna (D)rink
AA #2069  EAC Division of Skydiving and Sushi consumption.

Quote:

> A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
> probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
> DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
> needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
> progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
> Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
> transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
> the like.
> thanks

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Martin Evan » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:53:47


Quote:



> > A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
> > probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
> > DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
> > needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
> > progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
> > Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
> > transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
> > the like.
> > thanks
> Skydive Delmarva, Cross Keys, Skydive Chambersburg are all roughly about
the
> same distance from downtown DC.  If your schedule allows weekday trips,
then
> Cross Keys is a good place.  If you are strictly a weekend jumper, then
> Delmarva would be your best bet (Plus the beach is only a 1/2 hr away!)

Hey  Kevin,

What makes you say Delmarva isn't a good place for weekday jumping? We are
open 6 days a week (closed on Tuesdays). We have student business scheduled
almost every day throughout the summer and fall and fly our Twin Otter or
King Air lighter than most places will fly their Cessna's! I think you'll
find most DZ's within traveling distance of the Washington DC area are a
little slower this year than in times past but our current bookings indicate
that this is starting to change. We can certainly accommodate (and would be
happy to do so) a level two AFF student on Wednesday or any other day and if
they wish to make additional jumps that would be fine also!

Also, we often have a number of fun jumpers here most days and many of our
staff fun jump on the weekday loads they aren't working. As I recall you
rarely come to Delmarva during the week and may be under a false illusion
that we don't operate when you aren't present!  ;-)

You are correct though Kevin in your indication that we are only 30 minutes
from the beach, well sort of...we are actually 30 minutes from many beaches
and beachtown(s) nightlife!

Weekdays we often have a blast, you should join us sometime!

--
Blue ones,
Stay Safe.

Martin Evans.

For information about Sky-Eye Skydiving Services please visit our website
at:

http://www.skyeyeskydiving.com/

After browsing please follow the link to Skydive Delmarva.

"Never confuse motion with action".   Ernest Hemingway

- Show quoted text -

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Ernie Douglas » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:40:29

Don't forget about the local women !! :)

In article

Quote:

> You are correct though Kevin in your indication that we are only 30 minutes
> from the beach, well sort of...we are actually 30 minutes from many beaches
> and beachtown(s) nightlife!

> Weekdays we often have a blast, you should join us sometime!

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Jen » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:04:11

You have:

Skydive Orange
Chambersburg
Parachutes are Fun
Skydive Delmarva
Skydive The Point
Louisa
Cross Keys

All of these are within 2-3 hrs. Depending on his exact location as in "the
DC area" some of these dz's might be closer than 2-3 hrs.


Quote:

> A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
> probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
> DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
> needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
> progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
> Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
> transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
> the like.
> thanks

 
 
 

Closest DZ to Washington DC with AFF?

Post by Wilkinso » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:55:04

Thanks for all the answers both onlist and offlist.  I'll give him the
options.  Since he's 19 and in the Army, timing and finances have an
impact.  
Wendy W.  
Quote:

>Skydive Delmarva, Cross Keys, Skydive Chambersburg are all roughly about the
>same distance from downtown DC.  If your schedule allows weekday trips, then
>Cross Keys is a good place.  If you are strictly a weekend jumper, then
>Delmarva would be your best bet (Plus the beach is only a 1/2 hr away!)

>--

> Insanity takes its toll, please have exact change...
>The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
>WWJD: (W)hat (W)ould (J)enna (D)rink
>AA #2069  EAC Division of Skydiving and Sushi consumption.



>>A friend's son just did his AFF level 1 here in Houston, and will
>>probably be making level 2 on Wednesday.  He's stationed in Washington
>>DC however, so Houston isn't a long-term solution to his skydiving
>>needs.  What's closest to Washington DC that will continue his AFF
>>progression, without necessarily being a student mill?  Closest to
>>Washington DC is probably the most important thing, simply because of
>>transportation and the fact that he won't always have long weekends and
>>the like.
>>thanks