' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by LORD OF THE SK » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:30:03


      So I go to Our  USPA website today and notice that the 2003 SIMs is
now on line.
      I was rather pleased to find that it is in html form for quick and
easy viewing.

       Hmmn, where is the "printable" link?  You know,  the link to the pdf
file for easy printing.

       After searching high and low I just can't find one.

          This important Safety  information that we each have already anted
up to compile is not readily available in a free downloadable printed form!
Am I the only one who has a problem with that?

          Hey read this;  "USPA presents the SIM online here as a free
service but urges skydiving students, instructors, school owners, and others
who use the manual often to purchase a full version of the 2003 Skydiver's
Information Manual from USPA. You can also find the 2003 SIM at many
parachute equipment dealers and in the equipment case at your local
parachute center.

This reference version of the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual is not an
exact duplicate of the 2003 SIM. In the event of any discrepancy or to
obtain the full text and graphics, please refer to the official, hard-copy
version."

       Are you seething yet?
        Are you "outraged"?

             Well just a second , you will be!
             The hard copy version they are hawking to you is available only
in a spiral bound edition and will be obsolete right after the next BOD
meeting!
             You paid to compile the information. They want you to pay again
to have a hard copy. The hard copy ,if you choose to purchase it will be
obsolete within 4 months.

          I'm *Pissed-Off*!!!   I hope that you are also!!!!!!!

                "Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by Tom » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:32:01


Quote:
>          Hey read this;  "USPA presents the SIM online here as a free
>service but urges skydiving students, instructors, school owners, and
others
>who use the manual often to purchase a full version of the 2003 Skydiver's
>Information Manual from USPA. You can also find the 2003 SIM at many
>parachute equipment dealers and in the equipment case at your local
>parachute center.

Let me get this straight Don. We pay in dues, the funds used to develop and
write the SIM. We subsidize the group member program with proceeds from
membership revenue. Now we are expected to purchase said SIM from a group
member, at a profit to them of course. Is that about the story Don?

Quote:

>This reference version of the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual is not an
>exact duplicate of the 2003 SIM. In the event of any discrepancy or to
>obtain the full text and graphics, please refer to the official, hard-copy
>version."

In order to print the manual, they have to have an exact computer document
avaiable. So instead of posting the exact one they print, they post a
version that is different? What idiot made that plan? Oh wait, if the goal
is to fund the GM's then he is not an idiot is he.

I notice that none of the candidates except Don commented on my post last
week suggesting that training materials, like those Jan hawks with every
post, should be on the USPA site and avaiable free to members.  This entire
issue of having information and training materials on the web, availabe to
the members has risen in importance in my mind. It is now ranked higher than
reserve cycle extensions.

Tom B

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by LORD OF THE SK » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:51:32


Quote:


> >          Hey read this;  "USPA presents the SIM online here as a free
> >service but urges skydiving students, instructors, school owners, and
> others
> >who use the manual often to purchase a full version of the 2003
Skydiver's
> >Information Manual from USPA. You can also find the 2003 SIM at many
> >parachute equipment dealers and in the equipment case at your local
> >parachute center.

> Let me get this straight Don. We pay in dues, the funds used to develop
and
> write the SIM.

 Yes!

Quote:
> We subsidize the group member program with proceeds from
> membership revenue.

 Yes We do!

Quote:
> Now we are expected to purchase said SIM from a group
> member, at a profit to them of course. Is that about the story Don?

      LOL! 'At's what I'm talkin' about!!!
    Enough to *piss you off* ain't it?

          Oh! Don't forget that the Memberships' dollars were spent to
purchase that very expensive "pdf" software which is not being used on the
SIMS.  The very software which would make it simple to print this manual!

   Yeah!... We're getting ***ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

         I'll say it again , "It's time for a change."

              "Treetop" the Fun Jumpers Only Hope!

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by Livendiv » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:40:05



Quote:
>              The hard copy version they are hawking to you is available
only
> in a spiral bound edition and will be obsolete right after the next BOD
> meeting!

This spiral bound part (among a few things) is pretty irritating.  As part
of my recent appointment, USPA sent me a new copy of the SIM as well as the
other stuff that I need in looseleaf form.  I'd much prefer the SIM be
looseleaf, so I can compile everything in one notebook, and just update the
book as documents change.  They could at least hole-punch the thing!
Anyhow, not being able to simply update the book from year to year is an
obvious scheme to get folks to buy a new copy every year, and I don't like
it.  Our dues keep getting raised, the ante for instructional ratings is
higher, the number of (paying) members keeps expanding, and USPA is
providing less today than it did two years ago, so the obvious solution is
to increase revenue from the sale of safety documents?

Blues,
Dave

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by LORD OF THE SK » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:59:16


Quote:
>Our dues keep getting raised, the ante for instructional ratings is
> higher, the number of (paying) members keeps expanding, and USPA is
> providing less today than it did two years ago, so the obvious solution is
> to increase revenue from the sale of safety documents?

       Are you Outraged?
       Are you Seething?
     What are We going to do about it????

  I suggest We elect  Representatives to the BOD  instead of BOD "Members".
  People who will look out for Our concerns as opposed to those who refuse
to communicate with us .
       "Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY, the Fun Jumpers only Hope

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by TY » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 23:57:37

Hey tree!  I've been trying to send you an e-mail but it keeps bouncing.


Quote:


> >Our dues keep getting raised, the ante for instructional ratings is
> > higher, the number of (paying) members keeps expanding, and USPA is
> > providing less today than it did two years ago, so the obvious solution is
> > to increase revenue from the sale of safety documents?

>        Are you Outraged?
>        Are you Seething?
>      What are We going to do about it????

>   I suggest We elect  Representatives to the BOD  instead of BOD "Members".
>   People who will look out for Our concerns as opposed to those who refuse
> to communicate with us .
>        "Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY, the Fun Jumpers only Hope

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by SKydive City/Z-Hill » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 00:52:58

certainly I will be the first to resign my membership and ratings, quit
skydiving and develop a plot to assassinate some poor unfortunate over the
production of a manual.

30000 children starved to death in the world yesterday and 30000 more will
today - and you are 'seething' over a book.

get real



Quote:
>       So I go to Our  USPA website today and notice that the 2003 SIMs is
> now on line.
>       I was rather pleased to find that it is in html form for quick and
> easy viewing.

>        Hmmn, where is the "printable" link?  You know,  the link to the
pdf
> file for easy printing.

>        After searching high and low I just can't find one.

>           This important Safety  information that we each have already
anted
> up to compile is not readily available in a free downloadable printed
form!
> Am I the only one who has a problem with that?

>           Hey read this;  "USPA presents the SIM online here as a free
> service but urges skydiving students, instructors, school owners, and
others
> who use the manual often to purchase a full version of the 2003 Skydiver's
> Information Manual from USPA. You can also find the 2003 SIM at many
> parachute equipment dealers and in the equipment case at your local
> parachute center.

> This reference version of the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual is not an
> exact duplicate of the 2003 SIM. In the event of any discrepancy or to
> obtain the full text and graphics, please refer to the official, hard-copy
> version."

>        Are you seething yet?
>         Are you "outraged"?

>              Well just a second , you will be!
>              The hard copy version they are hawking to you is available
only
> in a spiral bound edition and will be obsolete right after the next BOD
> meeting!
>              You paid to compile the information. They want you to pay
again
> to have a hard copy. The hard copy ,if you choose to purchase it will be
> obsolete within 4 months.

>           I'm *Pissed-Off*!!!   I hope that you are also!!!!!!!

>                 "Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by travisbost.. » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 01:27:08


Quote:
>       So I go to Our  USPA website today and notice that the 2003 SIMs is
> now on line.
>       I was rather pleased to find that it is in html form for quick and
> easy viewing.

I wrote a "crawler" once, for an advanced networking seminar.  hmmm, how
difficult would it be to grab the whole damn thing, parse it out, and merge
it into a printable document.  I'm sure that was the intent of USPA.  They're
just running a little behind this week maybe?  We could help them out?
-Shane
 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by Skip Smit » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:18:20

Quote:

> certainly I will be the first to resign my membership and ratings, quit
> skydiving and develop a plot to assassinate some poor unfortunate over the
> production of a manual.

> 30000 children starved to death in the world yesterday and 30000 more will
> today - and you are 'seething' over a book.

> get real

they're just doing their part to keep world population down.
 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by ynotsso » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 04:37:01

Quote:

>>       So I go to Our  USPA website today and notice that the 2003 SIMs is
>> now on line.
>>       I was rather pleased to find that it is in html form for quick and
>> easy viewing.

> I wrote a "crawler" once, for an advanced networking seminar.  hmmm, how
> difficult would it be to grab the whole damn thing, parse it out, and merge
> it into a printable document.  I'm sure that was the intent of USPA.  They're
> just running a little behind this week maybe?  We could help them out?

Piece o' cake:

wget -r -l1 -O- http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/Skydivers_Information_Ma... | html2ps | lp

The problem of course is the statement that the online version is different from the
official version, and may contain discrepencies.

                tony

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by Tom » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:05:46

Quote:

>certainly I will be the first to resign my membership and ratings, quit
>skydiving and develop a plot to assassinate some poor unfortunate over the
>production of a manual.

>30000 children starved to death in the world yesterday and 30000 more will
>today - and you are 'seething' over a book.

>get real

If you think Treetop is seething over just a book, then you are clearly
unable to see that the book is just one more example, in a long list of
examples, of just how far our organization is out of control, and has moved
away from serving the average member.

But since it is "just a book" can we assume you provide up to date free
copies to jumpers there? No? Didn't think so.

Oh, Treetop is as real as anybody I know that posts on the wreck.

Tom B

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by Jan Meye » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:08:09

Quote:

> Piece o' cake:

> wget -r -l1 -O- http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/Skydivers_Information_Ma... | html2ps | lp

Tony - most folk have no idea what that line means. Most people don't
have wget either.

THis has links to a self extracting zip file and the plain zip file of
the HTML pages.

http://ParachuteHistory.com/skydive/uspa/doctrine/sim.html

So now you can have a copy on your computer.

That ought to be worth a vote.

--
Jan Meyer
http://FixMyPages.com
http://www.ParachuteHistory.com
http://www.MakeItHappen.com
http://www.DiveMaker.com

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by travisbost.. » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:20:59


Quote:
> wget -r -l1 -O- http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/
> Skydivers_Information_Manual_2003.htm | html2ps | lp

It's poetry...
-Shane
 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by ynotsso » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:21:38


Quote:

>> wget -r -l1 -O- http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/Skydivers_Information_Ma... | html2ps | lp

> Tony - most folk have no idea what that line means. Most people don't
> have wget either.

I realize that full-well. My purpose was to illustrate exactly your point. Shane
at least should have seen the light.

Quote:
> THis has links to a self extracting zip file and the plain zip file of
> the HTML pages.
> http://ParachuteHistory.com/skydive/uspa/doctrine/sim.html
> So now you can have a copy on your computer.
> That ought to be worth a vote.

Nice work Jan, and Thank You. I think you'll do well for the membership.

If anyone is interested, wget is available at http://www.wget.org/ It will
allow one to copy a partial or entire web site, converting all URLs to local
links on your own computer so that you can view an entire web site offline.
It's a command-line utility though, and so may not be desirable for some.

For those who insist on a GUI, there's HTTrack at http://www.httrack.com

              tony

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

' At's what I'm talkin'about!!!

Post by SKydive City/Z-Hill » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:36:04

If you expect USPA to keep 'up to date' copies of everything at any given
time, then even that is unrealistic.  We are a moving sport, with training
and license ratings changing, documentation changing almost daily thru the
good work of committees , instructors and members, and the FAI, FAA, IPC
just to mention a few.  So just drop it.

They produce a good product, if you need the 'latest', then pick up the
phone and request it instead of ***ing at it.  No one is going to deliver
it to your door and no one is going to produce it daily without some
outrageous expense, of which you all seem to have a grievance as well.

Does microsoft deliver the latest rpoduct to you for free - no, and you
sometimes have to get off your ass to go find out what that is.  and maybe
make a phone call or two to find out,  don't be so lazy.

Organization is not out of control and the fact that we have a manual with
ongoing revisions is proof that they do actually serve the membership, not
parlaying against it as you suggest.

As far as free copies of any documentation, I am not sure what the comment
means - somehow I am supposed to fill in the gap just because you cannot get
something for free when you think it should be?  Would YOU provide the world
with free copies?  If not, then you are about as low as I am......

Don't be surprised if things cost money to produce, that is a fact of life,
I am surprised that someone could make such narrow-minded comments,
TK


Quote:

> >certainly I will be the first to resign my membership and ratings, quit
> >skydiving and develop a plot to assassinate some poor unfortunate over
the
> >production of a manual.

> >30000 children starved to death in the world yesterday and 30000 more
will
> >today - and you are 'seething' over a book.

> >get real

> If you think Treetop is seething over just a book, then you are clearly
> unable to see that the book is just one more example, in a long list of
> examples, of just how far our organization is out of control, and has
moved
> away from serving the average member.

> But since it is "just a book" can we assume you provide up to date free
> copies to jumpers there? No? Didn't think so.

> Oh, Treetop is as real as anybody I know that posts on the wreck.

> Tom B