Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Steven L. Sheffie » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00


World Cup #8 - Clasica San Sebastian

1. Lance Armstrong (USA) Motorola


4. Laurent Jalabert (France) ONCE

Source: Dutch Teletext

Congratulations to Lance Armstrong on his first World Cup win.
Remember, the 1992 edition of this race was his first as a
professional, in which he finished DFL, well over 30 minutes
behind that year's winner (whose name escapes me at the moment).

--
| Steven L. Sheffield (BOB #1765/IBOB #3)  Disclaimer? What's that? |

+--------  WWW: http://www.best.com/~bikiebob/cycling.html  --------+
|    Voice: (415) 296-9893 / Fax: (415) 597-9849 / Ride yer bike!   |

 
 
 

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Roger Thoma » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
> Congratulations to Lance Armstrong on his first World Cup win.
> Remember, the 1992 edition of this race was his first as a
> professional, in which he finished DFL, well over 30 minutes
> behind that year's winner (whose name escapes me at the moment).>

I concur in the congratulations. Shame on you Steven for not remembering
the wonderful Raul Alcala's death-defying descent in a drowning deluge
to cross the line first in his then city of residence!
Whenever you think you are going to forget Raul, remember that my 12meg
486 DX2/66 is named after him. Sadly, it's not as fast....

--Roger Thomas

 
 
 

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Steven L. Sheffie » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:



>> Congratulations to Lance Armstrong on his first World Cup win.
>> Remember, the 1992 edition of this race was his first as a
>> professional, in which he finished DFL, well over 30 minutes
>> behind that year's winner (whose name escapes me at the moment).>
>I concur in the congratulations. Shame on you Steven for not remembering
>the wonderful Raul Alcala's death-defying descent in a drowning deluge
>to cross the line first in his then city of residence!
>Whenever you think you are going to forget Raul, remember that my 12meg
>486 DX2/66 is named after him. Sadly, it's not as fast....

Well, sheesh.  It's not like I ever got a chance to actually SEE
Alcala's death-defying descent.  Not even Famous Cycling Videos/
World Cycling Productions has ever deigned to put out a video
of the Clasica.

But I'll bet that there's one this year .... and if not, I think
I have another source to see Lance kick some booty.

--
| Steven L. Sheffield (BOB #1765/IBOB #3)  Disclaimer? What's that? |

+--------  WWW: http://www.best.com/~bikiebob/cycling.html  --------+
|    Voice: (415) 296-9893 / Fax: (415) 597-9849 / Ride yer bike!   |

 
 
 

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Roger Thoma » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Quote:

> Well, sheesh.  It's not like I ever got a chance to actually SEE
> Alcala's death-defying descent.  Not even Famous Cycling Videos/
> World Cycling Productions has ever deigned to put out a video
> of the Clasica.

> But I'll bet that there's one this year .... and if not, I think
> I have another source to see Lance kick some booty.

I didn't see the video either, but the photos are pretty graphic. Raul got
into town in what looked like the middle of the night.
--
Roger Thomas
 
 
 

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Erik Van Leeuw » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Steven L. Sheffield wrote in a message to All:

 SLS> Well, sheesh.  It's not like I ever got a chance to actually
 SLS> SEE Alcala's death-defying descent.  Not even Famous Cycling
 SLS> Videos/ World Cycling Productions has ever deigned to put
 SLS> out a video of the Clasica.

Actually there was not much to _see_ of Alcala's descent. I only remember
pictures of the last kilometers when Alcala came out of the dark and the cars
enlightening him.

Erik van Leeuwen

--
|Fidonet:  Erik Van Leeuwen 13:13/13

|
| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.
| From WME Online! BBS  +1-916-973-0477 (ANSI or Vt-100 _required_).

 
 
 

Early Results - Clasica San Sebastian

Post by Paul Pilche » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> Congratulations to Lance Armstrong on his first World Cup win.
> remember, the 1992 edition of this race was his first as a
> professional, in which he finished DFL, well over 30 minutes
> behind that year's winner (whose name escapes me at the moment).

I think the 1992  Clasica San Sebastian winner was Raul Alcala.
--
Paul Pilcher
Software Engineer, FP1/3110

One Federal Systems Park Drive
Fairfax, ***ia 22033