MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by almost_f.. » Sun, 27 May 2007 10:30:30


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110129476805

Wierd spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be a
good rim? How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim? Or since
it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I bid and
win)? What might go wrong? How long would it take?

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by wizard » Sun, 27 May 2007 12:17:43

Quote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110129476805

> Wierd spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be a
> good rim? How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim? Or since
> it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I bid and
> win)? What might go wrong? How long would it take?

> Thanks in advance.

Run away save your money!!

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by almost_f.. » Sun, 27 May 2007 20:38:27


Quote:

> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110129476805

> > Wierd spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be a
> > good rim? How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim? Or since
> > it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I bid and
> > win)? What might go wrong? How long would it take?

> > Thanks in advance.

> Run away save your money!!

Two exclamation points!! Why run away? The rim? The spoking? Something
else? Thanks.

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by wizard » Sun, 27 May 2007 23:39:05

Quote:



>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110129476805
>>> Wierd spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be a
>>> good rim? How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim? Or since
>>> it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I bid and
>>> win)? What might go wrong? How long would it take?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>> Run away save your money!!

> Two exclamation points!! Why run away? The rim? The spoking? Something
> else? Thanks.

The spoke count the build the hub used buy a new openpro rim and build
and a used modern hub if you want a good wheel,old wheels like old
spaghetti are limp and loose:)
 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by Ron Ruf » Mon, 28 May 2007 00:53:43



Quote:
> What might go wrong? How long would it take?

The lacing pattern should be fine for a front wheel. For a rear I
don't like the idea of having so many pulling or pushing spokes in one
spot, but there isn't significant torque on the front. Aluminum
***s with only oil could be a problem if you live in a coastal area
or ride on salted roads. The hubs is ~40 years old, so I would ask
specifically about its condition.
 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by jobst.bra.. » Mon, 28 May 2007 01:30:24

Quote:
someone writes:

 http://SportToday.org/

Quote:
> Weird spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be
> a good rim?  How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim?  Or
> since it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I
> bid and win)?  What might go wrong?  How long would it take?

1. You probably won't "bid and win", MA-2 rims going for big money.

2. Unspoke the rim and build up a good wheel on a good hub.

The large spoke incident angles at some of the spoke ***s often
cause failures.  Consider this auction as a rim rather than a wheel.

Jobst Brandt

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by Tom Ac » Mon, 28 May 2007 02:04:06


Quote:
> The large spoke incident angles at some of the spoke ***s often
> cause failures.  Consider this auction as a rim rather than a wheel.

The spoke angles and lengths in this pattern are
the same as in a conventional 36 spoke 3x wheel.
Are you suggesting using 2x instead?

I've been using a front wheel in this pattern
(with a large flange hub and an MA-2 rim) for
the past ten years (I don't have a mile count)
and it's held up fine.

Conventional 3x is of course more stable and durable,
I use this pattern just for the fun of it.

Tom Ace

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by almost_f.. » Mon, 28 May 2007 02:05:42


Quote:
> someone writes:

>  http://SportToday.org/

> > Weird spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be
> > a good rim?  How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim?  Or
> > since it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming I
> > bid and win)?  What might go wrong?  How long would it take?

> 1. You probably won't "bid and win", MA-2 rims going for big money.

> 2. Unspoke the rim and build up a good wheel on a good hub.

> The large spoke incident angles at some of the spoke ***s often
> cause failures.  Consider this auction as a rim rather than a wheel.

> Jobst Brandt

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "large incident
angle". I understand that despite the strage spoke pattern this wheel
has the same spoke incident angle as a normal 3 cross wheel, so it
shouldn't be excessive, or do you mean *any* 3x high flange hub makes
a large incident angle? Back in the day high flange hubs were often
laced even 4 cross, and I suppose that may have been excessive. Would
you recommend 2 cross? Thanks in advance.
 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by almost_f.. » Mon, 28 May 2007 02:08:10


Quote:


> > What might go wrong? How long would it take?

> The lacing pattern should be fine for a front wheel. For a rear I
> don't like the idea of having so many pulling or pushing spokes in one
> spot, but there isn't significant torque on the front. Aluminum
> ***s with only oil could be a problem if you live in a coastal area
> or ride on salted roads. The hubs is ~40 years old, so I would ask
> specifically about its condition.

Thanks for your repy. I thought the same thing about a front wheel
maybe being okay with that spoke pattern. After all, I've rarely
experienced many problems with front wheels anyway.

About the aluminum ***s and coast - I assume you mean because of
corrosion? What would you recommend on the ***s if I were to
rebuild (possibly even in a plain 3 cross pattern)?

Good point on the hub. What should I ask about? Bearings? Miles?
Thanks in advance!

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by landotte » Mon, 28 May 2007 03:29:18



Quote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110129476805

> Wierd spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to be a
> good rim? How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim?

Nothing, unless you're a MA2 fanboy.

Thirty bucks gets you a brand new straight and strong rim from either
Alex or Sun. If you want a retro look, build up a polish silver CR18,
if you want strength on the cheap, Alex can't be beat.

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by jobst.bra.. » Mon, 28 May 2007 04:31:09

Quote:
Tom Ace writes:
>> The large spoke incident angles at some of the spoke ***s often
>> cause failures.  Consider this auction as a rim rather than a
>> wheel.
> The spoke angles and lengths in this pattern are the same as in a
> conventional 36 spoke 3x wheel.  Are you suggesting using 2x
> instead?

It's the spoke pattern and a large flange that give the angle.  I
don't believe the wheel was built while improving the spoke line,
which is useful even with small flange hubs.

Quote:
> I've been using a front wheel in this pattern (with a large flange
> hub and an MA-2 rim) for the past ten years (I don't have a mile
> count) and it's held up fine.

That can occur, but there is a greater load on the flanges from the
grouping and one-sided spoke exit among the groups.

Quote:
> Conventional 3x is of course more stable and durable, I use this
> pattern just for the fun of it.

I see no benefit in artsy spoke patterns.  This one puts more stress
on the flanges as they emerge, one sided in groups of three. It seems
these are 2.0-1.8 swaged spoke that seem to fir the hub holes closely.
In that way it probably isn't the worst combination, but knowing how
flange failures occur and how badly a wheel warps, I prefer to use
conventional crossed spoking on small flange hubs.

Jobst Brandt

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by jobst.bra.. » Mon, 28 May 2007 04:40:55

Quote:
someone writes:

 http://SportToday.org/

Quote:
>>> Weird spoking pattern, but is this the MA2 rim that's supposed to
>>> be a good rim?  How much is it worth to buy it for just the rim?
>>> Or since it's already built, should I just ride it as-is (assuming
>>> I bid and win)?  What might go wrong?  How long would it take?
>> 1. You probably won't "bid and win", MA-2 rims going for big money.
>> 2. Unspoke the rim and build up a good wheel on a good hub.
>> The large spoke incident angles at some of the spoke ***s often
>> cause failures.  Consider this auction as a rim rather than a
>> wheel.
> Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "large incident
> angle". I understand that despite the strange spoke pattern this
> wheel has the same spoke incident angle as a normal 3 cross wheel,
> so it shouldn't be excessive, or do you mean *any* 3x high flange
> hub makes a large incident angle? Back in the day high flange hubs
> were often laced even 4 cross, and I suppose that may have been
> excessive. Would you recommend 2 cross? Thanks in advance.

You are right about that.  Looking at the picture it struck me that
the spokes came into spoke ***s with, what appears to be a bend,
that could cause failure.  I believe large flange hubs came along for
track bicycles to enable replacing spokes without pulling off the
sprocket on rear wheels.  I have seen no other reason.  As I recall,
originally there were practically no large flange Campagnolo road
hubs, the only ones generally used at that time.

My first experience with large flange hubs exposed me to many spoke
failures that led to stress relieving and improving the spoke line.
That was with the Stella stainless spokes of the day.  They failed at
the slightest excuse.

Jobst Brandt

 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by Ron Ruf » Mon, 28 May 2007 06:43:19



Quote:
> About the aluminum ***s and coast - I assume you mean because of
> corrosion? What would you recommend on the ***s if I were to
> rebuild (possibly even in a plain 3 cross pattern)?

Tef-gel on the threads, or use brass ***s (best long term
solution). I'd keep the pattern unless you don't like the way it
looks.

Quote:
> Good point on the hub. What should I ask about? Bearings? Miles?

The condition of the races and cones... they will probably be
impossible to replace if they are in poor condition. Bearings would be
easily replaced.
 
 
 

MAVIC "MA2" wheel w/ "three leading, three trailing"

Post by Victor Ka » Mon, 28 May 2007 09:13:34


Quote:
> Which Alex or Sun have double-eyelets?

Among their road rims, the Alex AT400 Pro and the R390 (not the "pro"
version though).  Alexrims.com has details on their stuff.

I don't know about the Sun rims.