Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by redbranc » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:09:50



finished my pasture fences this week, so the boys are out of their
temporary little paddocks and into their real quarters.  Pics here:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/slpotter_photos/IMG_4049.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/slpotter_photos/IMG_4041.jpg


Nelson waterer  in the paddock they were using when the nights got
cold enough for it to freeze.  And evidently, there's a bad ground or
a short in that waterer, because they stopped drinking and wouldn't go
near it.  I ran a tester around it, and it says there is current
present, although I couldn't feel it when I'd put my hand in the
water.  (former owner's dad was an electrician and he wired it)

No problem....I'm moving them to their new pastures and I've now
tested that waterer and it has no problems...but now the boys won't go
anywhere near it.  I've spent hours and hours trying to convince
them....I fill the stainless bowl and hold it so they'll drink from
it, and they're now OK with that...and I gradually while they're
drinking, lower it back to the base....one horse will drink from it
there as long as my hands are touching the sides, but once the rim is
back on and  my hands aren't there, no way.  The other two won't go
anywhere near the base for the waterer.  I've shut the water off and
filled the bowl with carrots, treat, etc....not touched.  Grain in the
bowl...not touched.  Carrots, etc. on ground near waterer...eaten.
Touching waterer...not touched.

I've been filling buckets for overnight, and then four to five times
during the day, I go out and spend half an hour or so each time trying
to convince them that its OK to drink from the Nelson.  Somehow, I've
got to convince them it's OK to drink from the waterer again....

Suggestions?

Sharon Potter
Red Branch

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Hunter Hampto » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:06:32

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:09:50 -0700 (PDT), redbranch

Quote:

>I've been filling buckets for overnight, and then four to five times
>during the day, I go out and spend half an hour or so each time trying
>to convince them that its OK to drink from the Nelson.  Somehow, I've
>got to convince them it's OK to drink from the waterer again....

>Suggestions?

Dang,

My first suggestion is get a licensed plumber out there to check out
all waterers....

Then, when you *know* they are safe... don't water them...let them get
thirsty.

Not long enough to be dangerous, but they have water so why drink from
the dreaded tingly waterer?

I have no experience with that. I do have some experience with the guy
who wired your farm though....

Hunter

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by redbranc » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:21:49



Quote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:09:50 -0700 (PDT), redbranch


> >I've been filling buckets for overnight, and then four to five times
> >during the day, I go out and spend half an hour or so each time trying
> >to convince them that its OK to drink from the Nelson. ?Somehow, I've
> >got to convince them it's OK to drink from the waterer again....

> >Suggestions?

> Dang,

> My first suggestion is get a licensed plumber out there to check out
> all waterers....

> Then, when you *know* they are safe... don't water them...let them get
> thirsty.

> Not long enough to be dangerous, but they have water so why drink from
> the dreaded tingly waterer?

> I have no experience with that. I do have some experience with the guy
> who wired your farm though....

> Hunter

:-)  That little issue has been solved...all receptacles along the
driveway are in working order.  ;-)  Had some friends with a big
camper here a couple of weeks ago, and everything worked fine.

I've been letting them get thirsty during the day by only letting them
drink from the bowl when I hold it (buckets get pulled out first thing
in the AM) , and they are thirsty and really want to drink...they darn
near run me over to get to the bowl when I hold it.  But two of them
won't follow it to the base, while the other one (Freddy, who'd be the
last one I'd expect to show signs of being smarter than the two old
guys) will drink from the bowl in the base while I'm touching it.

I worry about leaving them for too long without water....colic, etc.
to drink.

It's likely I'll pull the other three waterers out at some point,
because they aren't going to be used for pastures.  I may just have to
call a plumber out...who will in turn tell me to call an
electrician...who will tell me to call a plumber....  :-D

Sharon Potter
Red Branch

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by cind » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:45:03


Quote:

> Suggestions?

Well, I'd salt their feed to help them be extra thirsty, and I'd give
them a good 12 hours before worrying, maybe even longer.  I have read
in a few different places that wild horses will drink every other day
or so.

Good luck!
cindi

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Tara » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:42:48


Quote:

> I've been filling buckets for overnight, and then four to five times
> during the day, I go out and spend half an hour or so each time trying
> to convince them that its OK to drink from the Nelson.  Somehow, I've
> got to convince them it's OK to drink from the waterer again....

Fill some buckets & leave them on the ground next to the Nelson. When they
go to drink & find that water frozen or the bucket knocked over they will
eventually get curious and figure out that the Nelson is safe.

Tara

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Jane Sarana » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:13:18


Quote:

> No problem....I'm moving them to their new pastures and I've now
> tested that waterer and it has no problems...but now the boys won't go
> anywhere near it.

Congrats on the fences.  But I echo the sentiment about having someone
expert out to check the waterers.  A couple of months ago a trainer who
was out our old barn had a horse die a painful electrocution from a waterer
gone bad.  Even the heated buckets we use make me nervous, I test
them all the time.  If they are okay, you got good suggestions already re
getting
them to change their minds.
 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Emily Brook » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:16:40

Once upon a time, the tank my ponies drank from in the pasture got cozy with
the electric fence. Cash wouldn't go near it and all the others were
suspicious. No one was drinking while out. The BO had moved the tank back to
where it had been.

Every day I coaxed Cash to drink from this tank. I mean, loose he would not
approach it or me, if I were near it. Haltered he would keep me between
himself and the tank. While trembling and sweating and devolving into a
puddle of goo.

What finally worked: I was also coaxing Spot to drink from the tank again.
Spot would much rather drink outside than in (if he's touched his stall
water buckets, something strange is going on) and he is an easier horse in
many ways than Cash was. So I got Spot to drink from the tank with
(haltered) Cash *right there* and Cash gave a big sigh and dove right in.
For a while he would only drink while Spot was but it all slowly faded away.

So, do you have a horse you could put in with this group who has not had
their experience with the electrified Nelson? Who can set an example of
"It's OK"?

Emily - My TB would only drink away from home from buckets he saw someone
else drink from first

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by jmc » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:50:13

Suddenly, without warning, Jane Saranac exclaimed (10/31/2009 7:13 AM):

Quote:


>> No problem....I'm moving them to their new pastures and I've now
>> tested that waterer and it has no problems...but now the boys won't go
>> anywhere near it.

> Congrats on the fences.  But I echo the sentiment about having someone
> expert out to check the waterers.  A couple of months ago a trainer who
> was out our old barn had a horse die a painful electrocution from a waterer
> gone bad.  Even the heated buckets we use make me nervous, I test
> them all the time.  If they are okay, you got good suggestions already re
> getting
> them to change their minds.

Horses are funny sometimes.  I once worked at a somewhat dingy place
with a couple of Arabians, including two long yearlings.  Came to work
one day to find the colt's nose burnt, and when I checked the huge old
water tub, it was bone dry.  Apparently the heater coil had burst and
boiled the water away overnight, and at some point in the process Shalom
had stuck his unsuspecting nose in the tank!  Yikes!

He was OK, the burns were only superficial, and once I removed the
heater and refilled the tub, none of the horses had any problems
drinking from it, including Shalom, which greatly surprised me.  Either
he really trusted me, or he wasn't nearly as bright as I thought :)

jmc

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Lisa Wise » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:40:23

Quote:

> Suggestions?

If they will drink out of the bowl but avoid the base -- how about
hiding the base? Either put some type of fencing like snow fence around
it or make a cheap "skirt" with elastic and cloth -- as it ages or
ravels, trim it down. By the time it's completely gone (or you're ready
to remove and toss), they'll probably forget the problem.

LisaW
--
Theodore Roosevelt:

A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything
real on real issues.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the
user.

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government
owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about
what I think of what I do! That is character!

It is difficult to make our material condition better by the best law,
but it is easy enough to ruin it by bad laws.

The worst lesson that can be taught a man is to rely upon others and to
whine over his sufferings. If an American is to amount to anything he
must rely upon himself, and not upon the State; he must take pride in
his own work, instead of sitting idle to envy the luck of others; he
must face life with resolute courage, win victory if he can and accept
defeat if he must, without seeking to place on his fellow-men a
responsibility which is not theirs.

 
 
 

Good news/bad news...advice, please.

Post by Dawn J- » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:14:56


Quote:

> finished my pasture fences this week, so the boys are out of their
> temporary little paddocks and into their real quarters. ?Pics here:

> http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/slpotter_photos/IMG_4049.jpg...

Nice :-)

Quote:

> Nelson waterer ?in the paddock they were using when the nights got
> cold enough for it to freeze. ?And evidently, there's a bad ground or
> a short in that waterer, because they stopped drinking and wouldn't go
> near it. ?I ran a tester around it, and it says there is current
> present, although I couldn't feel it when I'd put my hand in the
> water. ?(former owner's dad was an electrician and he wired it)

> No problem....I'm moving them to their new pastures and I've now
> tested that waterer and it has no problems...but now the boys won't go
> anywhere near it. ?I've spent hours and hours trying to convince
> them....I(snip details)

> I've been filling buckets for overnight, and then four to five times
> during the day, I go out and spend half an hour or so each time trying
> to convince them that its OK to drink from the Nelson. ?Somehow, I've
> got to convince them it's OK to drink from the waterer again....

> Suggestions?

You've tried everything I would have tried.  Other than what others
have already suggested, I'm drawing a blank.  Sorry I can't be more
helpful.  If I think of something, I'll chime in....

--Dawn
putting on her thinking cap