Two down, two to go

Two down, two to go

Post by Joyleen E. Seymou » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 04:43:23


Mike's horse Jude left last week for a new home in Vermont.  Whimsy left
today, back to his owner.  I have three people interested in taking
Hammy for free.  I haven't really advertised Scout yet, debating if I
want to advertise her for free.  I might try the local donkey rescue,
not to give her to them, but to have them advertise her for free for me,
to weed out the idjits.  It's already feeling sad around here.  We will
miss Whimsy, he was a really nice little guy.  And Jude was so perfect
for Mike.  I wish we could keep them all.  Hammy is huge, and a
beautiful mover, talented and athletic.  He eats a *lot* though.  Sigh.
 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Dr Corinne B Lee » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 04:45:04

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:43:23 -0400, "Joyleen E. Seymour"

Quote:

>Mike's horse Jude left last week for a new home in Vermont.  Whimsy left
>today, back to his owner.  I have three people interested in taking
>Hammy for free.  I haven't really advertised Scout yet, debating if I
>want to advertise her for free.  I might try the local donkey rescue,
>not to give her to them, but to have them advertise her for free for me,
>to weed out the idjits.  It's already feeling sad around here.  We will
>miss Whimsy, he was a really nice little guy.  And Jude was so perfect
>for Mike.  I wish we could keep them all.  Hammy is huge, and a
>beautiful mover, talented and athletic.  He eats a *lot* though.  Sigh.

Good luck with it all.  Downsizing is not an easy thing.

Corinne & Crazy Canuck Crew...

--
*** Conserve Energy: Laughter is easier than Anger!


 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Jane Sarana » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 08:08:24



Quote:
> Mike's horse Jude left last week for a new home in Vermont.  Whimsy left
> today, back to his owner.  I have three people interested in taking Hammy
> for free.  I haven't really advertised Scout yet, debating if I want to
> advertise her for free.  I might try the local donkey rescue, not to give
> her to them, but to have them advertise her for free for me, to weed out
> the idjits.  It's already feeling sad around here.  We will miss Whimsy,
> he was a really nice little guy.  And Jude was so perfect for Mike.  I
> wish we could keep them all.  Hammy is huge, and a beautiful mover,
> talented and athletic.  He eats a *lot* though.  Sigh.

Aww.  I'm sorry for what you are going through.  I'm glad that you found
good
homes for Jude and Whimsy though.

I haven't forgot about you by the way, I just haven't had a free
second but I have your address and hopefully you'll get mail from me
in the near future : ).

 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Joyleen E. Seymou » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 22:13:35

Quote:



>> Mike's horse Jude left last week for a new home in Vermont.  Whimsy left
>> today, back to his owner.  I have three people interested in taking Hammy
>> for free.  I haven't really advertised Scout yet, debating if I want to
>> advertise her for free.  I might try the local donkey rescue, not to give
>> her to them, but to have them advertise her for free for me, to weed out
>> the idjits.  It's already feeling sad around here.  We will miss Whimsy,
>> he was a really nice little guy.  And Jude was so perfect for Mike.  I
>> wish we could keep them all.  Hammy is huge, and a beautiful mover,
>> talented and athletic.  He eats a *lot* though.  Sigh.

> Aww.  I'm sorry for what you are going through.  I'm glad that you found
> good
> homes for Jude and Whimsy though.

> I haven't forgot about you by the way, I just haven't had a free
> second but I have your address and hopefully you'll get mail from me
> in the near future : ).

Just got word today that the people leasing Sassy want to send her back
to us.  They had contacted me this spring, saying she was having some
issues, upon questioning it turned out that they had an *** riding
her, after I specified nobody over 110 pounds (I didn't see this ***,
maybe she is jockey sized,) and they didn't have shoes on her, even
though I told them she needed shoes.  They're now saying she is stiff
and they can't ride her, I don't know why.  So we move two and get one
more.  Sigh.
 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Nancy DeMarc » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:32:53


Quote:
> Just got word today that the people leasing Sassy want to send her back
> to us. ?(snip)?So we move two and get one more. ?Sigh.

Poor Sassy.  People are idgits.

Lucy - I don't know what went so wrong with the whole loading and
trailering thing.  She was, by all accounts, VERY difficult for her
previous owners.  Dangerous.

Here - she gets right on.  She trailers fine.  She stands on the
trailer, and she stands tied to the trailer.  Her occasional worried
looks have been immediately recognized by Lisa and dealt with
appropriately.  Lucy *loves* Lisa.  She whinnies when she hears her
voice. :)  And it's not *just* the cookies.

I understand where you are coming from with Hammie.  I feel the same
way about Jinks.  He is a lovely horse.  We went through some issues
with him pinning his ears and swishing his tail at me, but with a
couple massages and one chiropractic adjustment, he is back to being a
complete sweetheart.  He is safe, sane, sound, a nice mover (now that
his back can swing), and easy peasy to train.  He gets along with
anyone in turnout.  And he is just gorgeous.

But I can feed Lucy and Louise on half of what he eats.  And they're
fun too.  Sadly, in this market, a 7-yr-old green OTTB is unlikely to
bring money.  Maybe a month ago, but we are already looking at fall.
So, it would be in my best interests to simply place him, and stop
feeding him.  We'll see.

Good luck with them all.  Is Sassy a good kid's pony?  Good on
trails?  How about turnout with others?  I can keep my ears open.
Lots of the locals have little kids coming up, and mostly they just
want a good trail pony.

Nancy

 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Joyleen E. Seymou » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 02:26:06

Quote:


>> Just got word today that the people leasing Sassy want to send her back
>> to us.  (snip) So we move two and get one more.  Sigh.

> Poor Sassy.  People are idgits.

(snip)

> I understand where you are coming from with Hammie.  I feel the same
> way about Jinks.  He is a lovely horse.  We went through some issues
> with him pinning his ears and swishing his tail at me, but with a
> couple massages and one chiropractic adjustment, he is back to being a
> complete sweetheart.  He is safe, sane, sound, a nice mover (now that
> his back can swing), and easy peasy to train.  He gets along with
> anyone in turnout.  And he is just gorgeous.

> But I can feed Lucy and Louise on half of what he eats.  And they're
> fun too.  Sadly, in this market, a 7-yr-old green OTTB is unlikely to
> bring money.  Maybe a month ago, but we are already looking at fall.
> So, it would be in my best interests to simply place him, and stop
> feeding him.  We'll see.

You know, I am having trouble *giving* him away.  I've had several
people respond to my ad with "So what's wrong with him?"  One person
insisted that after seeing my website with the description of what
happened to him on the way home (back in 2007) that I must be lying
about him being sound and good for trailering.  This might have been the
same person who said he was thin.  You can just see his ribs, he does
have a belly.  He is not an easy keeper.  Shrug.  I'm ready to give up
and list him for sale for $5,000 just to see what happens.

Quote:
> Good luck with them all.  Is Sassy a good kid's pony?  Good on
> trails?  How about turnout with others?  I can keep my ears open.
> Lots of the locals have little kids coming up, and mostly they just
> want a good trail pony.

> Nancy

Sassy is the best pony in the world.  She is good with kids, good on
trails, jumps, etc.  She needs shoes.  She needs rolled toes and
possibly wedge pads in front to prevent stumbling.  I told the lady this
when they took her home.  She did not have her shod.  Sassy is
stumbling.  Hello???
 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Nancy DeMarc » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 02:46:47


Quote:
> You know, I am having trouble *giving* him away. ?I've had several
> people respond to my ad with "So what's wrong with him?" ?

I don't advertise them for free.  I list them for a fair price, then
offer them for less, or for free, when and if the right buyer shows
up.  And the 30-day return option does tend to assuage any fears re:
hidden unsoundness.

Quote:
> Sassy is the best pony in the world. ?She is good with kids, good on
> trails, jumps, etc. ?She needs shoes. ?She needs rolled toes and
> possibly wedge pads in front to prevent stumbling. ?I told the lady this
> when they took her home. ?She did not have her shod. ?Sassy is
> stumbling. ?Hello???

How big?  How old?  Free lease?  Sale? :)

I'll ask around.

Nancy

 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by JC Dil » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 02:47:03

Quote:

> You know, I am having trouble *giving* him away.  I've had several
> people respond to my ad with "So what's wrong with him?"

My answer would go along these lines:

There's nothing "wrong" with him, it's just that in this tough economy I
don't want to rule out a new home based on their ability to pay $$$ for
this horse.  It matters much more that he go to the right home than I
receive a certain price for this horse.  I'd rather give him to someone
who has the means to care for him properly than sell him to someone who
can scratch up the sales price but then won't be able to care for him.

Tell me about you, and why you are interested in this horse.

Quote:
> One person
> insisted that after seeing my website with the description of what
> happened to him on the way home (back in 2007) that I must be lying
> about him being sound and good for trailering.  This might have been the
> same person who said he was thin.  

I never let the nuts get me down.  They just qualified themselves as not
suitable for my horse, so I thank them for their interest (if it's a
phone call) or JHD (if it's an email) and wait for the right person to
come along.

I also have pretty good luck with creating ads that draw the right
people for my horses (and other items for sale).  The ad doesn't need to
tell the whole life story.  It needs to be honest, but not "the whole
truth" - it's fine to leave out stuff that you will be sure to mention
in person before you agree to a sale.  It needs to emphasize the horse's
good traits, and mention any negatives that will help CULL OUT
inappropriate buyers (so you don't waste your time, or theirs), and
present a horse that is worth the price you are asking.  If you are
offering a horse for free the ad should mention something about why for
free (not for $5k) to explain your price (or lack thereof).

If you would like my feedback on your ad, feel free to email me the URL.

Quote:
> You can just see his ribs, he does
> have a belly.  He is not an easy keeper.  Shrug.  I'm ready to give up
> and list him for sale for $5,000 just to see what happens.

It can be very hard to sell a horse when the price is wrong, too high OR
too low (especially free).  People who are good homes and good buyers
for a $5k horse aren't usually looking at the horses that are offered
for free.  Describe your target buyer, and the other horses they might
be looking at in addition to your horse.  Design your ad so that they
find it, and so that your horse looks attractive when compared with the
other ads they will be looking at.

Quote:
>> Good luck with them all.  Is Sassy a good kid's pony?  Good on
>> trails?  How about turnout with others?  I can keep my ears open.
>> Lots of the locals have little kids coming up, and mostly they just
>> want a good trail pony.

>> Nancy

> Sassy is the best pony in the world.  She is good with kids, good on
> trails, jumps, etc.  She needs shoes.  She needs rolled toes and
> possibly wedge pads in front to prevent stumbling.  I told the lady this
> when they took her home.  She did not have her shod.  Sassy is
> stumbling.  Hello???

Did you put this in writing?  I always send along paperwork "about this
horse" when I sell a horse, so the new buyer has all the details I can
come up with to have the horse work out well for them.  Things you "say"
can be forgotten.  If it's in writing then there's a better chance they
will review it later and recall the important things.

jc

 
 
 

Two down, two to go

Post by Nancy DeMarc » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 05:12:14

Quote:

> It can be very hard to sell a horse when the price is wrong, too high OR
> too low (especially free). ?

One thing that puts me off when looking at free horses is, there are
often conditions.  Even if there are no conditions stated, I feel an
increased sense of responsibility if the horse is given to me.

I want to own the horse outright and have no obligation to the
seller.  If I decide the horse needs to go, I want to move him along
to a place of my choosing without having to explain myself to the
original owner.  So I usually steer well clear of free ads.

Cheap ads, OTOH, are a draw.

Nancy