TR: ACE Summer Con Part 1(AKA-8 parks in 2 days)

TR: ACE Summer Con Part 1(AKA-8 parks in 2 days)

Post by ROLLER » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Since this would be the first time in New England for my wife and I
we were really looking forward to it. We were travelling with Phil Pan,
who grew up in Connecticut. This gave us a "local" to get us around,
and we got to spend a couple of nights in the house he grew up in.
Thanks Mom!

Thursday was a travel day, from Texas to Boston. We then drove
to Connecticut, to arrive about 12:35 am. The following morning, we
drove the few minutes to Lake Compounce. We arrived around the
start of ERT and the interior ride photo op. After taking the first spin,
Sharon and I went to the bowels of the Wildcat to take a couple of
shots. Actually, she was taking photos, while I was the camera bag
bearer and creative consultant. 8-)

We proceeded back to the ride, for a couple more spins, and then
ERT ended. The group photo was about 1/2 and hour + behind
schedule, so we mingled for a while. Immediately after we were
photo'd, in the middle of the first and last turns, our little group bailed
out. We brought Stephen (I can't remember his last name) with us,
and drove up to Riverside. Between the medium sized crowd, and
the closed Riverside Cyclone, the lines were a bit, but not too much.

Thunderbolt
Double out and back wood.
This ride was a real surprise. This is in excellent condition, with
some of the smoothest track I have encountered. Not a single jolt.
It has some medium airtime, and a good double dip. While sitting
in the front, and waiting for the dispatch, we saw Don Daniels in
line. Not much time for a conversation, so we rolled away.

Mind Eraser
Vekoma SLC
Its there. That makes 4. Actually, the ride is more tolerable than
my first 2, and a bit rougher than the new Serial Thriller. The ride
was using 2 trains, but not utilizing them. The dispatch interval
was so big, that one train was in the brakes waiting for the other
to begin its circuit. While waiting in line, we came across 2 more
ACErs. We spent most of the time chatting with some local GP,
who were spellbound by our tales of coastering. They even waited
at the end, to discuss opinions about the ride. Cool.

Black Widow
Arrow Launched Loop
4-car train
Can there possibly be a more *** set of stairs at any park?
The ride is mildly rough, and is a bit more gentle than the newer
versions. I'm guessing it could be because of the train length.
Sharon decided to shop, instead of climbing the 50 foot stairs.
On a side note, the main operator, who is at the far end of the
ride, was fighting off sleep. Apparently, we were disturbing her
every time a train got to the reverse point. You should have seen
the MASSIVE yawn she was providing, when we drove away
from the parking lot. Yes, it was obvious from the road that runs
outside the park, and is probably 100-200 feet from her.

Rolling Thunder
Junior Steel
This looks like it might be an Intamin ride. Anyone?
The challenge here is to find a kid to accompany. OTOH, the
first kid we found was too tall. Be that as it may, the op let us
on, after sending her away. Wierd. Tick. (accompanied by mark
on coaster count)

Riverside Cyclone
Cobb Twister
Closed

Ricky's Little Twister
***s can't even ride with a kid. The sad thing, is that the guy
running it let us get seated and buckled, before telling us no.

General comments
The park is pretty, with lots of trees. They are building a new
eating establishment in front of the Black Widow, which may
not be open this any time soon. Getting from the parking lot to
the park is a bit dangerous, since you have to cross the main
public street. The one thing that was obvious throughout the
park, is that the employees don't care about anything.

After this experience, we returned to Lake Compounce

We had a good picnic of Hamburgers and Hot dogs, with
Ice Cream treats. Then, we took a double ride on the sky ride.
Nice view. We went to the opposite side of the park to check
off the other 2 coasters.

Clown Coaster
Kiddie Steel
Had to borrow a kid. Much to the displeasure of a female ride op,
we succeeded. We found 2 kids to get 3 of us our check-off. The
cute little girl who rode with me and Stephen, is a coaster lover
in training. She had just ridden with her folks, and was happy to
take a few more spins. You should have seen the smile on her
face each ride.

Zoomerang
Vekoma Boomerang
Its there. That makes my number 12, although this is the 2nd one
I've ridden with Vekoma trains.

Then it was time to mosey a bit, until the night ERT.

Wildcat
Wood twister
A wonderful ride that is screaming for track work. The night rides
were faster than the morning ones, which helped. The ride is really
good, and the crew made it better. (see the other posting about
the crew) We had a blast.

That concludes part one
7 coasters in 2 parks on day 1.

Robert Reagan
WildWest Coaster Club & ACE Member

 
 
 

TR: ACE Summer Con Part 1(AKA-8 parks in 2 days)

Post by Shawn Mamr » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Yeah, I'm already kicking myself for having missed the Summer Con.  Even
though I had registered, my plans got changed at the last moment.  Sigh...
Still, I wanted to respond to a couple things in Robert's post, starting
with his side trip to Riverside...

Quote:

>Thunderbolt
>Double out and back wood.
>This ride was a real surprise. This is in excellent condition, with
>some of the smoothest track I have encountered. Not a single jolt.
>It has some medium airtime, and a good double dip. [...]

The T-bolt got a lot of off-season work done before this year, including
lots of new wood for both the structure and track.  It's always been well
tended.  At times in the past, it's been dreadfully slow, but I haven't
heard anyone complain of slowness this year.  It's a shame you couldn't
ride the Cyclone by way of comparison - I'd have loved to see your evaluation
of that ride.

Quote:
>Black Widow
>Arrow Launched Loop
>4-car train
>Can there possibly be a more *** set of stairs at any park?
>The ride is mildly rough, and is a bit more gentle than the newer
>versions. I'm guessing it could be because of the train length.
>Sharon decided to shop, instead of climbing the 50 foot stairs.
>On a side note, the main operator, who is at the far end of the
>ride, was fighting off sleep. Apparently, we were disturbing her
>every time a train got to the reverse point. You should have seen
>the MASSIVE yawn she was providing, when we drove away
>from the parking lot. Yes, it was obvious from the road that runs
>outside the park, and is probably 100-200 feet from her.

Wonder if that was the same operator (nah, couldn't be, it's been a
*lot* longer than 10 days since opening weekend ;-) who literally
left David H. stranded on the far tower earlier this year?  Honest!
I was wondering if that train (I was waiting underneath the near tower)
was ever going to return...

Quote:
>Rolling Thunder
>Junior Steel
>This looks like it might be an Intamin ride. Anyone?

Based on nothing more than pictures of Seabreeze's Bear Trax, which looks
to be the exact same model as Riverside's RT, I'd have to say that RT is
built by the same company - Miler Coaster, Inc.

Quote:
>The challenge here is to find a kid to accompany. OTOH, the
>first kid we found was too tall. Be that as it may, the op let us
>on, after sending her away. Wierd. Tick. (accompanied by mark
>on coaster count)

It's good to have a kiddie steel that ***s and kids can ride together.
It does seem odd that they've kept Ricky's Little Twister (a Herschell
oval, not designed to bear the weight of us big'uns) now that they have
RT, but hey, anything that can help keep the lines down at Riverside
(even if only on the kiddie rides) can only be a good thing...

Can't wait to see part 2!

-Shawn Mamros


 
 
 

TR: ACE Summer Con Part 1(AKA-8 parks in 2 days)

Post by NOSPAMMER » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>Yeah, I'm already kicking myself for having missed the Summer Con.  Even
>though I had registered, my plans got changed at the last moment.  Sigh...
>Still, I wanted to respond to a couple things in Robert's post, starting
>with his side trip to Riverside...


>>Black Widow
>>Arrow Launched Loop
>>4-car train
>>Can there possibly be a more *** set of stairs at any park?
>>The ride is mildly rough, and is a bit more gentle than the newer
>>versions. I'm guessing it could be because of the train length.
>>Sharon decided to shop, instead of climbing the 50 foot stairs.
>>On a side note, the main operator, who is at the far end of the
>>ride, was fighting off sleep. Apparently, we were disturbing her
>>every time a train got to the reverse point. You should have seen
>>the MASSIVE yawn she was providing, when we drove away
>>from the parking lot. Yes, it was obvious from the road that runs
>>outside the park, and is probably 100-200 feet from her.

>Wonder if that was the same operator (nah, couldn't be, it's been a
>*lot* longer than 10 days since opening weekend ;-) who literally
>left David H. stranded on the far tower earlier this year?  Honest!
>I was wondering if that train (I was waiting underneath the near tower)
>was ever going to return...

Don't forget to mention that it was raining pretty heavily!  So, I was
getting soaked while sitting there ALONE on the train on the far end of
the tracks, having no idea if she was ever going to send me back and
knowing that Shawn was waiting for me when he'd rather be riding some
wood on the nearby Cyclone!  She said that she forgot I was on the
train.  (Kind of odd, since it was, what, 20 seconds since I'd flown by
before she should have sent me back?)  But, even if the train was empty
(and ignoring the question of why the ops on the other platform would
send out an empty train), why wouldn't she send it back?  After all,
there would eventually be some people there who would want to ride.

Then again, as every enthusiast we ran into that day said, "What do you
expect; it's Riverside."  What would they care if there is actually
someone who wants to RIDE the ride?!?