META: Using Agent/other newsreaders with AOL?? Anyone?

META: Using Agent/other newsreaders with AOL?? Anyone?

Post by Todd Lo » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00


 With the current flame wars taking place on RRC I was thinking that it
may be useful for some of our AOL users (I also use it at times) to be
able to use a newsreader that allows filtering of posts and/or authors.
For those of you not familiar with filtering it is a way to mark threads
(subjects) or certain authors for automatic retrieval, deletion, or just
to ignore. On AOL blocking IM's or email is a type of filtering. I
prefer a more positive filtering style as I explained in a reply to the
thread GOODBYE.
  If anyone has any info to share on this subject please do so.

Todd Long

 
 
 

META: Using Agent/other newsreaders with AOL?? Anyone?

Post by Enjoral » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

thinking that it
>may be useful for some of our AOL users (I also use it at times) to be
>able to use a newsreader that allows filtering of posts and/or authors.
>For those of you not familiar with filtering it is a way to mark threads
>(subjects) or certain authors for automatic retrieval, deletion, or just
>to ignore. On AOL blocking IM's or email is a type of filtering. I
>prefer a more positive filtering style as I explained in a reply to the
>thread GOODBYE.
>  If anyone has any info to share on this subject please do so.

   Todd. . .

   I think that many third party applications work with AOL. I, for instance,
use Netscape (not the AOL version) to browse the web. The problem comes in that
AOL doesn't tell you what their news server is, so you can't just use a third
party newsreader. (I tried news.aol.com, it didn't work.)  One has to find an
idependant news server to use. There are list availale on the web. Joe Schwartz
pointed me to a good list last time, but I did not bookmark it. I read news
through Scape for a while, but the server I was using shut down and I went back
to AOHell, without bothering to find a new one.

   That being said, I am not sure if Agent works with AOHell or not. I know
Netscape does, and the new version of Netscape has a filter system, but I
downloaded it and it was too slow on my machine so it got deleted. It seems
some apps work well, and some don't. I can use Mirc and Powwow just fine, but
never could get ICQ to work properly. Perhaps someone else knows more . . .?

                   Walt Breymier

 
 
 

META: Using Agent/other newsreaders with AOL?? Anyone?

Post by Brian Ondr » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>thinking that it
>>may be useful for some of our AOL users (I also use it at times) to be
>>able to use a newsreader that allows filtering of posts and/or authors.
>>For those of you not familiar with filtering it is a way to mark threads
>>(subjects) or certain authors for automatic retrieval, deletion, or just
>>to ignore. On AOL blocking IM's or email is a type of filtering. I
>>prefer a more positive filtering style as I explained in a reply to the
>>thread GOODBYE.
>>  If anyone has any info to share on this subject please do so.

>   Todd. . .

>   I think that many third party applications work with AOL. I, for instance,
>use Netscape (not the AOL version) to browse the web. The problem comes in that
>AOL doesn't tell you what their news server is, so you can't just use a third
>party newsreader. (I tried news.aol.com, it didn't work.)  One has to find an
>idependant news server to use. There are list availale on the web. Joe Schwartz
>pointed me to a good list last time, but I did not bookmark it. I read news
>through Scape for a while, but the server I was using shut down and I went back
>to AOHell, without bothering to find a new one.

>   That being said, I am not sure if Agent works with AOHell or not. I know
>Netscape does, and the new version of Netscape has a filter system, but I
>downloaded it and it was too slow on my machine so it got deleted. It seems
>some apps work well, and some don't. I can use Mirc and Powwow just fine, but
>never could get ICQ to work properly. Perhaps someone else knows more . . .?

>                   Walt Breymier

The last time I looked into this myself, I found written somewhere in
the mass of AOL help files that AOL does not allow for the use of any
3rd party newsreaders with AOL.  Due to this, I had decided to go with
an outside provider.  I still keep AOL around (although it is no
longer my provider) simply because occasionally I find it useful for
looking something up.

-Brian Ondrey

***********************************************************
My opinions do not reflect those of my employer.  They do
however, give wonderful insight into how screwed up I truly
am.
***********************************************************

 
 
 

META: Using Agent/other newsreaders with AOL?? Anyone?

Post by NOSPAMMER » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>The last time I looked into this myself, I found written somewhere in
>the mass of AOL help files that AOL does not allow for the use of any
>3rd party newsreaders with AOL.  Due to this, I had decided to go with
>an outside provider.  I still keep AOL around (although it is no
>longer my provider) simply because occasionally I find it useful for
>looking something up.

According to AOL, their news and mail servers do not conform to the
internet standards.  As such, they cannot be used with third party
newsreaders or mail programs such as Agent or Eudora.

And, let's be honest, their newsreader SUCKS!  (This is not mindless
AOL-bashing; just an honest critique of their newsreader.)

I would absolutely suggest (as I have so many times before) that anyone
on AOL STRONGLY consider using another newsreader, such as Agent.  There
are SO MANY features that AOL's newsreader just doesn't have.  The
problem is that you can't do this with AOL's news servers, since the
program won't be able to work with AOL's news servers properly.

There are a few other options:

1) Get an additional ISP (Internet Service Provider).  Well, you could
switch altogether, though there are some things that AOl provides that
are fun and useful.  If you want to stay on AOL, there's an alternative
that is cheaper than just paying for two ISP's.  When you subscribe to
the additional ISP, switch to the "bring your own access account" on
AOL.  With this plan, you connect to AOl through a direct internet
connection from your other ISP (that means no AOL busy signals!)  And
you only pay $9.95/month for the AOL portion.

2) Use a separate news server.  There are many available for free,
though I can't speak to their reliability in retrieving ALL posts (which
means that you can miss messages and parts of discussions.)  Others are
available for fees ranging from around $5-30 per month.  One advantage
to the commercial news servers is that they usually provide access to
newsgroups containing ***o and pirated software for longer periods of
time, if you're into those sorts of things.  (That's why most people use
these news servers.)  I've heard good things about Airnews for only
$10/month, though they're not always completely complete.  

3) Complain to AOL demanding that they standardize their servers with
the rest of the internet!  I don't know how effective this will be, but
it couldn't hurt to make the point!

Ultimately, if you're looking for a commercial news server (if the free
ones aren't reliable enough for you), you'd probably be better off with
another ISP, unless you want the ***o or illegal software.