In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by David H.--REMOVE » Sat, 01 Sep 2012 00:10:53


So, I'm off on this crazy coaster trip to Japan, South Korea, China (with
TPR -- no comments, please!) and Taiwan.

It's my most ambitious trip yet!  Phase one in Tokyo is winding down.  I'm
off to Fukuoka in the morning, and hoping the weather holds out, since the
coasters shut down in drizzle!

If anyone is interested in updates, friend me on Facebook, where I'll be
posting updates, pics, etc, when I have time.  Probably not in China,
though, since they block Facebook.  But after, I'll try to catch up.

I've never been a big fan of Facebook, but it seemed the easy way to post
quick updates for everyone to see.

For parks, I've already been to Tokyo (Sega) Joypolis, Fuji-Q Highlands,
Tobu Zoo, a quick stop at Hanayashiki (I was already going to the temples a
block away!) and quick stops at Aqua Stadium.  (I'm staying in the hotel,
after all!)

Note that the trip is not ALL coasters.  There's a decent amount of
"culture" I'll be doing, too.  I've already visited several temples, the
tallest tower in the world, the Tokyo National Museum, and Shinjuku.

So, if you're interested, friend me,ok?

David.

 "With the first link, a chain is forged.  The first speech censured,
 the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
 all irrevocably."  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
                     "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by Surf Dance Chri » Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:52:46

On Aug 30, 11:10?am, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

Quote:

> So, I'm off on this crazy coaster trip to Japan, South Korea, China (with
> TPR -- no comments, please!) and Taiwan.

> It's my most ambitious trip yet! ?Phase one in Tokyo is winding down. ?I'm
> off to Fukuoka in the morning, and hoping the weather holds out, since the
> coasters shut down in drizzle!

> If anyone is interested in updates, friend me on Facebook, where I'll be
> posting updates, pics, etc, when I have time. ?Probably not in China,
> though, since they block Facebook. ?But after, I'll try to catch up.

> I've never been a big fan of Facebook, but it seemed the easy way to post
> quick updates for everyone to see.

> For parks, I've already been to Tokyo (Sega) Joypolis, Fuji-Q Highlands,
> Tobu Zoo, a quick stop at Hanayashiki (I was already going to the temples a
> block away!) and quick stops at Aqua Stadium. ?(I'm staying in the hotel,
> after all!)

> Note that the trip is not ALL coasters. ?There's a decent amount of
> "culture" I'll be doing, too. ?I've already visited several temples, the
> tallest tower in the world, the Tokyo National Museum, and Shinjuku.

> So, if you're interested, friend me,ok?

> David.

> ?"With the first link, a chain is forged. ?The first speech censured,
> ?the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
> ?all irrevocably." ?-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?"The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

7 weeks? Have fun!!!

When I was in Japan, I went to Hanayashiki almost by accident. My
friend and I were on a tour which included the nearby temples, and I
saw the balloon type kiddie ride up in the distance. We walked over
and discovered the park. Since our last destination of that day's tour
was something we weren't interested in, we abandoned the tour there, I
popped into Hanayashiki and rode the coaster. It was the only time my
friend and I split up at all (she didn't want to pay the admission
price and coaster price). It was also the only time not knowing any
Japanese was quite difficult, too, as there was very little English
anywhere in the park (unlike most of the other places we had been). I
later was glad that I did it, though, as it ended up being the oldest
coaster in Japan, and would've definitely regretted not doing it if i
hadn't, especially since the only parks we did were the Disney parks,
Universal Studios Japan, and Tokyo Dome City (we also did the ferris
wheel by Disney, too).  Incidentally, another sightseeing tour later
that week included a visit to Mt Fuji, which included lunch at Fuji-
Q's hotel. We originally were planning to do Fuji-Q instead of TDC
when we began planning, but due to poor reports all over the internet,
TDC seemed like a safer bet. It still killed me to know that we were
so close to Fuji-Q though while eating that meal (and the park looked
dead!).

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by Bill Steel » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 05:24:54

Quote:
>  Note that the trip is not ALL coasters.

I hope you'll pay some attention to funhouses and dark rides. I'd like
to know what Asians think is scary.

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by BaSSiStiS » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 06:36:15

Quote:

> I hope you'll pay some attention to funhouses and dark rides. I'd like
> to know what Asians think is scary.

Big lizards.   :-)
 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by David H.--REMOVE » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 23:56:42

Quote:

>>  Note that the trip is not ALL coasters.

>I hope you'll pay some attention to funhouses and dark rides. I'd like
>to know what Asians think is scary.

Of course.  But I don't generally take pictures inside them.

Space World had a really cool walkthrough themed on aliens.  You go inside
a crashed ship, and see the usual alien iconography, experiments, dead
aliens, etc.  In one room, there's a mirror that turns out to be a fake,
and an alien jumps out at you!  Even caught me, who's really jaded and much
harder to catch than most people.

The most extensive walkthough I went through was Fuji-Q's Haunted Hospital
(which has actually been renamed after some Japanese horror master), which
is VERY long and goes up and down stairways to completely disorient me.
They sent me through alone, though, and I think a lot of the actors skipped
a guy alone, in favor of chasing the screaming girls.

One BIG motif here is attractions where you sit at a table with headphones
on, while characters talk with very effective positional audio all around
you, while doing horrific things.  I've already run into three of these,
but the most effective one was at Tokyo Joypolis, themed on dolls coming to
life and killing people. Unfortunately, it's mostly talking, with
everything in Japanese, so it's hard to have any idea of what's going on.
But Joypolis' one was so good that it was still VERY creepy.  If I had
understood it, I imagine it would have been terrifying!  The others relied
mostly on the story, which I didn't understand.  

Ironically, most of the other haunted attractions at Joypolis relied mostly
on the story they tell you to set up what happens, so I missed much of what
made them scary.

 "With the first link, a chain is forged.  The first speech censured,
 the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
 all irrevocably."  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
                     "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by surfdan.. » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:11:38

That sounds bizarre, but definitely sounds like a potetially awesome concept!
 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by David H.--REMOVE » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 00:44:33

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:52:46 -0700 (PDT), Surf Dance Chris

Quote:

>On Aug 30, 11:10 am, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

>> So, I'm off on this crazy coaster trip to Japan, South Korea, China (with
>> TPR -- no comments, please!) and Taiwan.

>> It's my most ambitious trip yet! Phase one in Tokyo is winding down. I'm
>> off to Fukuoka in the morning, and hoping the weather holds out, since the
>> coasters shut down in drizzle!

>> If anyone is interested in updates, friend me on Facebook, where I'll be
>> posting updates, pics, etc, when I have time. Probably not in China,
>> though, since they block Facebook. But after, I'll try to catch up.

>> I've never been a big fan of Facebook, but it seemed the easy way to post
>> quick updates for everyone to see.

>> For parks, I've already been to Tokyo (Sega) Joypolis, Fuji-Q Highlands,
>> Tobu Zoo, a quick stop at Hanayashiki (I was already going to the temples a
>> block away!) and quick stops at Aqua Stadium. (I'm staying in the hotel,
>> after all!)

>> Note that the trip is not ALL coasters. There's a decent amount of
>> "culture" I'll be doing, too. I've already visited several temples, the
>> tallest tower in the world, the Tokyo National Museum, and Shinjuku.

>> So, if you're interested, friend me,ok?

>> David.

>> "With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured,
>> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
>> all irrevocably." -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
>> "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

>7 weeks? Have fun!!!

>When I was in Japan, I went to Hanayashiki almost by accident. My
>friend and I were on a tour which included the nearby temples, and I
>saw the balloon type kiddie ride up in the distance. We walked over
>and discovered the park. Since our last destination of that day's tour
>was something we weren't interested in, we abandoned the tour there, I
>popped into Hanayashiki and rode the coaster. It was the only time my
>friend and I split up at all (she didn't want to pay the admission
>price and coaster price). It was also the only time not knowing any
>Japanese was quite difficult, too, as there was very little English
>anywhere in the park (unlike most of the other places we had been). I
>later was glad that I did it, though, as it ended up being the oldest
>coaster in Japan, and would've definitely regretted not doing it if i
>hadn't, especially since the only parks we did were the Disney parks,
>Universal Studios Japan, and Tokyo Dome City (we also did the ferris
>wheel by Disney, too).  Incidentally, another sightseeing tour later
>that week included a visit to Mt Fuji, which included lunch at Fuji-
>Q's hotel. We originally were planning to do Fuji-Q instead of TDC
>when we began planning, but due to poor reports all over the internet,
>TDC seemed like a safer bet. It still killed me to know that we were
>so close to Fuji-Q though while eating that meal (and the park looked
>dead!).

Dead?  Fuji-Q?  If so, then you definitely should have gone.  It's always
PACKED!  Of course poor operations and rides with HORRIBLE throughput (even
if they WERE run well!) make the park always seem busy!  Seriously, the
ONLY thing that made the day worthwhile was paying to use their fastpass
system.  (And I thought Fuji-Q was bad with throughput until today at Space
World!  More on that in another post!)

Think Six Flags but worse.  But you have to go there because they have some
great rides, and more world class coasters than anyone else.  Plus, a HUGE
walkthrough haunted hospital.

As for Hanayashiki, I'd been there with the ECC and ACE 7 years ago.
Honestly, the only reason I went was because I was already down the street
seeing the temples.  And I figured if I'm going to be that close, I might
as well stop in,  Plus, it's a decent coaster.  And I don't feel like I'm
wasting money supporting a small old park like that one.

 "With the first link, a chain is forged.  The first speech censured,
 the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
 all irrevocably."  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
                     "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by David H.--REMOVE » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 01:35:45

Quote:

>That sounds bizarre, but definitely sounds like a potetially awesome concept!

If you know the language to understand the concept, it can actually be
pretty scary, especially since they usually shut off the lights, so all you
have to go on is the sound.  The positional audio is VERY effective.  And
they're always someone or some thing talking in your ear.

The others were just ok without knowing the language.  But the one at
Joypolis was creepy as hell, even so.  The people I met there form Spain,
who I did the attraction with said that they both thought it would have
been really terrifying with knowing what was being said, but still thought
was pretty scary anyways!

Think of it as a lot like the original Alien Encounter attraction at
Disney, but with better audio end less good visuals.

 "With the first link, a chain is forged.  The first speech censured,
 the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
 all irrevocably."  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
                     "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by Surf Dance Chri » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 06:41:31

On Aug 31, 10:44?pm, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

Quote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:52:46 -0700 (PDT), Surf Dance Chris


> >On Aug 30, 11:10?am, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

> >> So, I'm off on this crazy coaster trip to Japan, South Korea, China (with
> >> TPR -- no comments, please!) and Taiwan.

> >> It's my most ambitious trip yet! ?Phase one in Tokyo is winding down. ?I'm
> >> off to Fukuoka in the morning, and hoping the weather holds out, since the
> >> coasters shut down in drizzle!

> >> If anyone is interested in updates, friend me on Facebook, where I'll be
> >> posting updates, pics, etc, when I have time. ?Probably not in China,
> >> though, since they block Facebook. ?But after, I'll try to catch up.

> >> I've never been a big fan of Facebook, but it seemed the easy way to post
> >> quick updates for everyone to see.

> >> For parks, I've already been to Tokyo (Sega) Joypolis, Fuji-Q Highlands,
> >> Tobu Zoo, a quick stop at Hanayashiki (I was already going to the temples a
> >> block away!) and quick stops at Aqua Stadium. ?(I'm staying in the hotel,
> >> after all!)

> >> Note that the trip is not ALL coasters. ?There's a decent amount of
> >> "culture" I'll be doing, too. ?I've already visited several temples, the
> >> tallest tower in the world, the Tokyo National Museum, and Shinjuku.

> >> So, if you're interested, friend me,ok?

> >> David.

> >> ?"With the first link, a chain is forged. ?The first speech censured,
> >> ?the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
> >> ?all irrevocably." ?-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
> >> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?"The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

> >7 weeks? Have fun!!!

> >When I was in Japan, I went to Hanayashiki almost by accident. My
> >friend and I were on a tour which included the nearby temples, and I
> >saw the balloon type kiddie ride up in the distance. We walked over
> >and discovered the park. Since our last destination of that day's tour
> >was something we weren't interested in, we abandoned the tour there, I
> >popped into Hanayashiki and rode the coaster. It was the only time my
> >friend and I split up at all (she didn't want to pay the admission
> >price and coaster price). It was also the only time not knowing any
> >Japanese was quite difficult, too, as there was very little English
> >anywhere in the park (unlike most of the other places we had been). I
> >later was glad that I did it, though, as it ended up being the oldest
> >coaster in Japan, and would've definitely regretted not doing it if i
> >hadn't, especially since the only parks we did were the Disney parks,
> >Universal Studios Japan, and Tokyo Dome City (we also did the ferris
> >wheel by Disney, too). ?Incidentally, another sightseeing tour later
> >that week included a visit to Mt Fuji, which included lunch at Fuji-
> >Q's hotel. We originally were planning to do Fuji-Q instead of TDC
> >when we began planning, but due to poor reports all over the internet,
> >TDC seemed like a safer bet. It still killed me to know that we were
> >so close to Fuji-Q though while eating that meal (and the park looked
> >dead!).

> Dead? ?Fuji-Q? ?If so, then you definitely should have gone. ?It's always
> PACKED! ?Of course poor operations and rides with HORRIBLE throughput (even
> if they WERE run well!) make the park always seem busy! ?Seriously, the
> ONLY thing that made the day worthwhile was paying to use their fastpass
> system. ?(And I thought Fuji-Q was bad with throughput until today at Space
> World! ?More on that in another post!)

> Think Six Flags but worse. ?But you have to go there because they have some
> great rides, and more world class coasters than anyone else. ?Plus, a HUGE
> walkthrough haunted hospital.

> As for Hanayashiki, I'd been there with the ECC and ACE 7 years ago.
> Honestly, the only reason I went was because I was already down the street
> seeing the temples. ?And I figured if I'm going to be that close, I might
> as well stop in, ?Plus, it's a decent coaster. ?And I don't feel like I'm
> wasting money supporting a small old park like that one.

> ?"With the first link, a chain is forged. ?The first speech censured,
> ?the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
> ?all irrevocably." ?-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?"The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

I must have lucked out, because I went the end of June/early July and
had very good luck. The weather was great Summer weather, even though
it was apparently their rainy season (it only rained the night we
arrived). When we went to Disneyland, we did both Tokyo DisneySea and
Disneyland in one day (didn't get to do everything, but a lot more
than we expected, since everything in TDS was a walk on, and even the
rides at DL were slow (the only real wait we had was about 10 for Big
Thunder and 30 or so for Winnie the Pooh. Tokyo Dome City had no
crowds (although it doesn't seem to be a place that would). When we
were eating at the hotel at Fuji-Q, they were open, but saw a train go
on the coasters only every so often, and usually only a few guests on
each train. Fujiyama was closed for refurbishment, as we could see
maintenance being done. That park was near impossible for me to do at
all, since we were with a tour group, and only had 1 hour to eat, and
couldn't really leave the group and risk getting stranded before the
next destination (but I sure did think about it!). The only other park
we did was Universal Studios Japan which was on our last day, which
was either a Saturday or Sunday (I think Sunday), and that was
actually fairly crowded. They do single rider queues on nearly
everything there, which helped (except Back To the Future, of course,
the ride I came mostly for- it had already closed for good at both
Universal parks here).

My trip was only 8 days (and still way too expensive!), and had to
balance between parks and cultural stuff (my friend likes parks but
not as much as me, and I definitely wanted to do Disney and Universal,
she agreed one other which ended up being TDC instead of FQ. The fact
that we ate at a hotel at FQ was pure coincidence. And the fact that
we ended up being next to Hanayashiki at one point (which I didn't
even know existed) was pure luck.

David, when we visited the Tokyo Tower (looks like an Eifel Tower), I
could see an Intamin Half Pipe coaster in the distance in the middle
of the city. It was hard to tell from that height, but it seemed to
possibly be a standalone attraction. have you ever been to this place/
rode this attraction? I know Japan had tons of standalone ferris
wheels, but this was the only roller coaster I saw. Again, this part
of a tour group day, so I wasn't able to explore the possibility of
riding it.

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by David H.--REMOVE » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 01:33:27

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:41:31 -0700 (PDT), Surf Dance Chris

Quote:

>On Aug 31, 10:44 pm, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:52:46 -0700 (PDT), Surf Dance Chris


>> >On Aug 30, 11:10 am, "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

>> >> So, I'm off on this crazy coaster trip to Japan, South Korea, China (with
>> >> TPR -- no comments, please!) and Taiwan.

>> >> It's my most ambitious trip yet! Phase one in Tokyo is winding down. I'm
>> >> off to Fukuoka in the morning, and hoping the weather holds out, since the
>> >> coasters shut down in drizzle!

>> >> If anyone is interested in updates, friend me on Facebook, where I'll be
>> >> posting updates, pics, etc, when I have time. Probably not in China,
>> >> though, since they block Facebook. But after, I'll try to catch up.

>> >> I've never been a big fan of Facebook, but it seemed the easy way to post
>> >> quick updates for everyone to see.

>> >> For parks, I've already been to Tokyo (Sega) Joypolis, Fuji-Q Highlands,
>> >> Tobu Zoo, a quick stop at Hanayashiki (I was already going to the temples a
>> >> block away!) and quick stops at Aqua Stadium. (I'm staying in the hotel,
>> >> after all!)

>> >> Note that the trip is not ALL coasters. There's a decent amount of
>> >> "culture" I'll be doing, too. I've already visited several temples, the
>> >> tallest tower in the world, the Tokyo National Museum, and Shinjuku.

>> >> So, if you're interested, friend me,ok?

>> >> David.

>> >> "With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured,
>> >> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
>> >> all irrevocably." -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
>> >> "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

>> >7 weeks? Have fun!!!

>> >When I was in Japan, I went to Hanayashiki almost by accident. My
>> >friend and I were on a tour which included the nearby temples, and I
>> >saw the balloon type kiddie ride up in the distance. We walked over
>> >and discovered the park. Since our last destination of that day's tour
>> >was something we weren't interested in, we abandoned the tour there, I
>> >popped into Hanayashiki and rode the coaster. It was the only time my
>> >friend and I split up at all (she didn't want to pay the admission
>> >price and coaster price). It was also the only time not knowing any
>> >Japanese was quite difficult, too, as there was very little English
>> >anywhere in the park (unlike most of the other places we had been). I
>> >later was glad that I did it, though, as it ended up being the oldest
>> >coaster in Japan, and would've definitely regretted not doing it if i
>> >hadn't, especially since the only parks we did were the Disney parks,
>> >Universal Studios Japan, and Tokyo Dome City (we also did the ferris
>> >wheel by Disney, too). Incidentally, another sightseeing tour later
>> >that week included a visit to Mt Fuji, which included lunch at Fuji-
>> >Q's hotel. We originally were planning to do Fuji-Q instead of TDC
>> >when we began planning, but due to poor reports all over the internet,
>> >TDC seemed like a safer bet. It still killed me to know that we were
>> >so close to Fuji-Q though while eating that meal (and the park looked
>> >dead!).

>> Dead? Fuji-Q? If so, then you definitely should have gone. It's always
>> PACKED! Of course poor operations and rides with HORRIBLE throughput (even
>> if they WERE run well!) make the park always seem busy! Seriously, the
>> ONLY thing that made the day worthwhile was paying to use their fastpass
>> system. (And I thought Fuji-Q was bad with throughput until today at Space
>> World! More on that in another post!)

>> Think Six Flags but worse. But you have to go there because they have some
>> great rides, and more world class coasters than anyone else. Plus, a HUGE
>> walkthrough haunted hospital.

>> As for Hanayashiki, I'd been there with the ECC and ACE 7 years ago.
>> Honestly, the only reason I went was because I was already down the street
>> seeing the temples. And I figured if I'm going to be that close, I might
>> as well stop in, Plus, it's a decent coaster. And I don't feel like I'm
>> wasting money supporting a small old park like that one.

>> "With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured,
>> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
>> all irrevocably." -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
>> "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

>I must have lucked out, because I went the end of June/early July and
>had very good luck. The weather was great Summer weather, even though
>it was apparently their rainy season (it only rained the night we
>arrived). When we went to Disneyland, we did both Tokyo DisneySea and
>Disneyland in one day (didn't get to do everything, but a lot more
>than we expected, since everything in TDS was a walk on, and even the
>rides at DL were slow (the only real wait we had was about 10 for Big
>Thunder and 30 or so for Winnie the Pooh. Tokyo Dome City had no
>crowds (although it doesn't seem to be a place that would). When we
>were eating at the hotel at Fuji-Q, they were open, but saw a train go
>on the coasters only every so often, and usually only a few guests on
>each train. Fujiyama was closed for refurbishment, as we could see
>maintenance being done. That park was near impossible for me to do at
>all, since we were with a tour group, and only had 1 hour to eat, and
>couldn't really leave the group and risk getting stranded before the
>next destination (but I sure did think about it!). The only other park
>we did was Universal Studios Japan which was on our last day, which
>was either a Saturday or Sunday (I think Sunday), and that was
>actually fairly crowded. They do single rider queues on nearly
>everything there, which helped (except Back To the Future, of course,
>the ride I came mostly for- it had already closed for good at both
>Universal parks here).

>My trip was only 8 days (and still way too expensive!), and had to
>balance between parks and cultural stuff (my friend likes parks but
>not as much as me, and I definitely wanted to do Disney and Universal,
>she agreed one other which ended up being TDC instead of FQ. The fact
>that we ate at a hotel at FQ was pure coincidence. And the fact that
>we ended up being next to Hanayashiki at one point (which I didn't
>even know existed) was pure luck.

>David, when we visited the Tokyo Tower (looks like an Eifel Tower), I
>could see an Intamin Half Pipe coaster in the distance in the middle
>of the city. It was hard to tell from that height, but it seemed to
>possibly be a standalone attraction. have you ever been to this place/
>rode this attraction? I know Japan had tons of standalone ferris
>wheels, but this was the only roller coaster I saw. Again, this part
>of a tour group day, so I wasn't able to explore the possibility of
>riding it.

First off, that half-pipe coaster never did open.  It was built on top of a
building and apparently didn't meet building codes in a country that has
frequent earthquakes!

I actually walked by in when going clubbing in the Rappongi district back
in 2005.

You got super lucky with Disney.  We had longer lines that you, and we went
during the aftermath of a typhoon!  In fact, at Disneysea, we had a patch
of pouring rain and 30+ MPH winds!

Unless you'd have gotten very lucky (or there were any of their
fastpass-type tickets left), you wouldn't have gotten in even one ride at
Fuji-Q in an hour. I noticed in Japan that most parks don't pair up riders.
In fact, if you try to sit in an empty seat, they'll stop you.  One ride op
explained that it's because "Japanese too shy."  So, it's common to see a
train go out with 3-6 empty seats.  Don't take that as any indication of
how busy the park was.

Nor should you take the lack of trains dispatching as any indication of the
queue either.  Even with 2+ hour queues, I saw trains going out every 5
minutes or more at times.  Fuji-Q is notorious for low capacity rides run
even more inefficiently.

 "With the first link, a chain is forged.  The first speech censured,
 the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
 all irrevocably."  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
                     "The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

 
 
 

In Japan and Asia for 7 weeks

Post by Bill Steel » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 06:17:05


 "David H.--REMOVE \"STOPSPAM\" to reply"

Quote:

> Ironically, most of the other haunted attractions at Joypolis relied mostly
> on the story they tell you to set up what happens

An idea American attractions ought to pick up on.

"In 1998, Phineas Philbern died mysteriously in his old mansion in
Atlanta. Last year we bought the artifacts from his house and installed
them in our dark ride, just for the atmosphere. We're beginning to wish
we hadn't..."