Trek theming at Paramount parks

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by LadyDeli » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00


       Does anyone know why Paramount hasn't made a Star Trek themed ride
at any of their parks yet(The Vegas park excluded of course)?  They could
do SO much more with that theming then just the costumed charectors who
occaisionally roam the park.  I have been to PKI, PC, and PCW, and none of
them had any good trek themes.  I think it would be fun to combine the 2
hobbies (Sci fi and coasters)  

                  Chris

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by DJslotl » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>Does anyone know why Paramount hasn't made a Star Trek themed ride
>at any of their parks yet

The way I see it, Paramount wants to make as much money as possible on
trek stuff.  If they were to put a trek ride in a park, no one is really
paying admission for a trek ride, they're paying to get in a park.
(although, your idea would be great, Paramount, are you listening???)

Las Vegas Hilton is paying HUGE amounts of money to Paramount, and into
the design of the "experience", as well as adding a 50 foot trek pin on
thier new world's largest marquee sign.  Not to mention the royalties from
"Star Trek- The Experience" that Paramount will make when it opens.  (if
ever, at this rate!!!!!)

Quote:
>(The Vegas park excluded of course)

It's not a park, it's pretty much a themed shopping mall with a Big-Budget
simulator Inside the Las Vegas Hilton.

Dennis :)
Kennywood will be 100, and I will BE THERE!
I'm in Vegas, where are you?

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by TJHea » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> Does anyone know why Paramount hasn't made a Star Trek themed ride
>at any of their parks yet(The Vegas park excluded of course)?  They could
>do SO much more with that theming then just the costumed charectors who
>occaisionally roam the park.  I have been to PKI, PC, and PCW, and none of
>them had any good trek themes.  I think it would be fun to combine the 2
>hobbies (Sci fi and coasters)  

Hey,
   I work for PKI in entertainment and I interact a lot with the Star Trek
folks..here is what they said..
    The Outer Limits was actually initally planned to be a "Star Trek"
themed attraction. But upper management decided that a ride such as the
Outer Limits wouldn't be "big" enough or "substantial" enough to warrant
them putting the Star Trek stamp upon it. So they apparantly "saving" the
Star Trek theme for something bigger than OL.
      My personal view on the subject is that they didn't want Star Trek
to be associated with S&M (headbanging) so they chose some series no one
actually cares about like "Outer Limits" :  ) .

                                                                Tim

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by CROOOO » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> > Does anyone know why Paramount hasn't made a Star Trek themed ride
> >at any of their parks yet(The Vegas park excluded of course)?  They could
> >do SO much more with that theming then just the costumed charectors who
> >occaisionally roam the park.  

Bit of trivia - If I remember correctly, back in 1993, PGA's TOP GUN
ride
was supposed to be STAR TREK: THE RIDE.  But this was Paramount's first
whole year in charge I think and they decided that instead of enclosing
the ride or spending money on a lot of themeing, they needed to spend it
to improve and clean up the park a bit.

Since then, they havn't felt they've designed a ride they're willing to
pay for that would be GRAND and BIG ENOUGH to warrent labeling with STAR
TREK and the expectations that will come of it.  Of course, if the
Simulator ride built into the LAS VEGAS hotel is as good as they expect
it to be (No more lame Days of Thunder Turbo Tour seats, but a REAL
cabin!) then perhaps they'd modify this for the theme parks as well.

--
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THEMEPARKS - Future Attractions & Rumors
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MOVIES - L.A. CONFIDENTIAL & COPLAND
--------------------------------------------------------------
For people who are their OWN children:
http://home.earthlink.net/~croooow

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by BRIANDIE » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

  The reason Paramount I believe doesn't have Star Trek themed attraction
is because it would offend people like me who cannot stand Star Trek for a
single second.

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by Battle Monke » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Star Trek: The Ride

Like the Enterprise of old, it would break down a lot. Also, the front
right seat is permanently occupied by William Shatner (special restraint
installed to keep his hair in place).

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by Joe Schwar » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Star Trek: The Ride

> Like the Enterprise of old, it would break down a lot. Also, the front
> right seat is permanently occupied by William Shatner (special restraint
> installed to keep his hair in place).

"Keep your hair in place?  Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magician!"

------------------------------------------------------------------

   Come visit the Joyrides web site (http://SportToday.org/),
a photo gallery celebrating the joy and beauty of amu***t rides!

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pac » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>     The Outer Limits was actually initally planned to be a "Star Trek"
> themed attraction. But upper management decided that a ride such as the
> Outer Limits wouldn't be "big" enough or "substantial" enough to warrant
> them putting the Star Trek stamp upon it. So they apparantly "saving" the
> Star Trek theme for something bigger than OL.

I remember the original indications or maybe just rumors were that the
rides were to be Star Trek themed.

Quote:
>       My personal view on the subject is that they didn't want Star Trek
> to be associated with S&M (headbanging) so they chose some series no one
> actually cares about like "Outer Limits" :  ) .

Hey, watch it!  The Outer Limits (tv series) is cool! ;-)  And they made
the right choice in changing the theming.  If you've ever watched Outer
Limits, you know that head banging is quite appropriate! ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------

        Greg Pacek         |    when I think I hear people say
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA    |    things.  More I cannot say."
                           |          --the ruler of the Universe

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by Battle Monke » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

JSo Paramount doesn't want to do Star Trek theming until there's some
incredibly huge super-cool spiffy ride to match the name? Okay, that's
cool. It is arguably the most popular sci-fi cult series of this or any
time.

Meanwhile, FOX saddles Star Wars--arguably the biggest (though not the
best) sci-fi series of our time--witht hat lame sim-ride Star Tours at
MGM.

Oh well, I'm waiting for the Buckaroo Banzai ride anyway.

BattleMonkey

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by Christian Luch » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I thought only nerds liked Star Trak!
Just kidding.
Chris.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:

>        Does anyone know why Paramount hasn't made a Star Trek themed ride
> at any of their parks yet(The Vegas park excluded of course)?  They could
> do SO much more with that theming then just the costumed charectors who
> occaisionally roam the park.  I have been to PKI, PC, and PCW, and none of
> them had any good trek themes.  I think it would be fun to combine the 2
> hobbies (Sci fi and coasters)

>                   Chris

 
 
 

Trek theming at Paramount parks

Post by CROOOO » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>   The reason Paramount I believe doesn't have Star Trek themed attraction
> is because it would offend people like me who cannot stand Star Trek for a
> single second.

And your telling me people actually liked DAYS OF THUNDER?!

--
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THEMEPARKS - Future Attractions & Rumors
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MOVIES - L.A. CONFIDENTIAL & COPLAND
--------------------------------------------------------------
For people who are their OWN children:
http://home.earthlink.net/~croooow