MF lift pusher.....

MF lift pusher.....

Post by David » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00


This lift pusher sled "thing" is quite interesting.  Since it has never been
done before, I'm sort of confused.  Question.....If this sled pushes the
train to the crest of the lift....it must have to travel back down the lift
to engage with the next train in the station.  How does that happen????  It
must really haul ass back down the lift in reverse to be ready for the next
dispatched train.

In the first promo quick time movie, the simulated train looked as it was
traveling very fast up the lift, and as it approached the top, it began to
slow.....is this true??

Thanks!

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Jeff 'Jones' Put » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> This lift pusher sled "thing" is quite interesting.  Since it has
never been
> done before, I'm sort of confused.  Question.....If this sled pushes
the
> train to the crest of the lift....it must have to travel back down
the lift
> to engage with the next train in the station.  How does that
happen????  It
> must really haul ass back down the lift in reverse to be ready for
the next
> dispatched train.

Keep in mind though that the circuit isn't blocked, so a second train
can't crest the lift until the previous train has moved through the
final brake run. That should allow plenty of time for the sled to come
back down.

-Jeff
http://www.coasterbuzz.com - Portal to The Thrill!(tm)
http://www.guidetothepoint.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Charles Nungest » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>  The lift speed is going to be around 11 mph.  Iain did some calculations
>for this and estimated that it will take 26 seconds to reach the top of MF's
>310 peak!!

And aside from all the technical stuff what dose Iain think of MFs lifthill and
Brakes?

LoL
chuck
Chuck.   Member of Ace since 2/03/00
http://members.aol.com/coasterfanatic/CoasterFaNaTiCsFoRuMindex.html

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by CRaethe » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm sure there are two pushers on the cable. This will be like the First Gen
Intimin free falls. There are 2 lift dogs. As one is going up the other is
coming down and is ready for the next train.
Craig


Quote:

> : >..If this sled pushes the
> : >train to the crest of the lift....it must have to travel back down the
lift
> : >to engage with the next train in the station.  How does that happen????
It

> : what if the sled travels a circular route similar to the lift on a
schwartkopf
> : lift hill?

> A nice thought, Sam, but there isn't that much track for the sled.  Also,
> the cable is hauled onto a winding drum as nearly as we can tell (from the
> parts that were on-site at the end of the '99 season) which indicates that
> indeed, it's gonna have to haul ass back down the hill to catch the next
> train.  Knowing that the dispatch interval is going to have to be similar
> to Magnum, that means either a much shorter time spent on the lift, or a
> really, really fast lift mechanism return, as it will have to be ready to
> lift the next train by the time the train just lifted gets about halfway
> through the ride.

> --Dave Althoff, Jr.
> --
>     /^\        _       _               _*** Closed for the season ***
>    /XXX\      /X\     /X\_      _     /X\__      _     _        _____
>   /XXXXX\    /XXX\  _/XXXX\_   /X\   /XXXXX\    /X\   /X\      /XXXXX
> _/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Chris Luch » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Wow! That's really cool! I hadn't heard that before!

Chris.

Quote:

> I'm sure there are two pushers on the cable. This will be like the First Gen
> Intimin free falls. There are 2 lift dogs. As one is going up the other is
> coming down and is ready for the next train.
> Craig

-------------------------------------------------------------

Posted with Netscape Navigator 4.7
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by probi » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

there should be an 81 second interval between trains (on average) and
estimates for the lift time are 25-30 seconds... this would leave ~50+
seconds for the cable to be returned to the ready position for the next
train. (and even if the lift takes 40 seconds, that would leave an equal
amount of time to prepare for the next train)


Quote:
> Wow! That's really cool! I hadn't heard that before!

> Chris.


> > I'm sure there are two pushers on the cable. This will be like the First
Gen
> > Intimin free falls. There are 2 lift dogs. As one is going up the other
is
> > coming down and is ready for the next train.
> > Craig

> -------------------------------------------------------------

> Posted with Netscape Navigator 4.7
> -------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Iain Hendr » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>> I'm sure there are two pushers on the cable. This will be like the First
Gen
>> Intimin free falls. There are 2 lift dogs. As one is going up the other
is
>> coming down and is ready for the next train.
>> Craig
>Wow! That's really cool! I hadn't heard that before!

>Chris.

...because that's not how it works.

Once again:

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/mf_lift.gif

How many *&$#ing times do I have to post this! (^:

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826
AIM          Linjerflyg
h e n d r y j r  AT  o x f o r d  DOT  n e t
(Remove bibiphoque to reply)

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Iain Hendr » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>there should be an 81 second interval between trains (on average) and

72 seconds.

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826
AIM          Linjerflyg
h e n d r y j r  AT  o x f o r d  DOT  n e t
(Remove bibiphoque to reply)

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Dave Althoff » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I'm sure there are two pushers on the cable. This will be like the First Gen
: Intimin free falls. There are 2 lift dogs. As one is going up the other is
: coming down and is ready for the next train.

If there were two lift dogs, there would be two hoisting drums.  There is
only one.

If it were a looped cable with two pushers on it, like a Schwarzkopf lift,
there would be no drum on which to wind the cable, and the lift mechanism
would have a return track...which it doesn't.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
--
    /^\        _       _               _*** Closed for the season ***
   /XXX\      /X\     /X\_      _     /X\__      _     _        _____  
  /XXXXX\    /XXX\  _/XXXX\_   /X\   /XXXXX\    /X\   /X\      /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Christian Luch » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Well, I guess you learned him! :-)

Chris.

Quote:

> ...because that's not how it works.

> Once again:

> http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/mf_lift.gif

> How many *&$#ing times do I have to post this! (^:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Posted with Netscape Communicator 4.7)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by probi » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

a 72 second interval would allow for 50 trains per hour which at 36 people
per train would be 1800/hr ...  the 81 second interval i gave allows for
44.44 trains * 36 people = 1600 (which is the approximate capacity listed on
the CP web site for the ride)


Quote:

> >there should be an 81 second interval between trains (on average) and

> 72 seconds.

>     Iain
> --
> tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
> ICQ UIN      5362826
> AIM          Linjerflyg
> h e n d r y j r  AT  o x f o r d  DOT  n e t
> (Remove bibiphoque to reply)

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Iain Hendr » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>a 72 second interval would allow for 50 trains per hour which at 36 people
>per train would be 1800/hr ...  the 81 second interval i gave allows for
>44.44 trains * 36 people = 1600 (which is the approximate capacity listed
on
>the CP web site for the ride)

Sorry, I had calculated with 1 800 (I thought that's what it said and I was
going from memory).

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826
AIM          Linjerflyg
h e n d r y j r  AT  o x f o r d  DOT  n e t
(Remove bibiphoque to reply)

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Jeff 'Jones' Put » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> Once again:

> http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/mf_lift.gif

> How many *&$#ing times do I have to post this! (^:

I think your drawing is pretty much right on. Check the two photos of the
drum at http://www.guidetothepoint.com/thepoint/rides/mftour1.asp you'll
notice the pinch rollers on the drum to guide the cable, going to and
from the same place. Also, the aforementioned I-beam track that the sled
or whatever will follow actually goes half way down the drop, with no
means of return other than back the way it came. Also, the tension pulley
is indeed right under the start of the lift, only a few feet from where
the train will load. The drum (and presumably the motor) sit on a
foundation under the drop. The only thing that appeared unclear to me is
how the cable will route back to the station.

-Jeff
http://www.coasterbuzz.com - Portal to The Thrill!(tm)
http://www.guidetothepoint.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

MF lift pusher.....

Post by Iain Hendr » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:


>> Once again:

>> http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/mf_lift.gif

>> How many *&$#ing times do I have to post this! (^:
>I think your drawing is pretty much right on. Check the two photos of the
>drum at http://www.guidetothepoint.com/thepoint/rides/mftour1.asp you'll
>notice the pinch rollers on the drum to guide the cable, going to and
>from the same place. Also, the aforementioned I-beam track that the sled
>or whatever will follow actually goes half way down the drop, with no
>means of return other than back the way it came. Also, the tension pulley
>is indeed right under the start of the lift, only a few feet from where
>the train will load. The drum (and presumably the motor) sit on a
>foundation under the drop. The only thing that appeared unclear to me is
>how the cable will route back to the station.

>-Jeff

Wasn't it clear after viewing my drawing? (^: The tensioning cable would run
from the fine-pitch grooves where it is wound on the winding drum
horizontally across the ground (no need to really worry about it, they might
put a box or something around it) and go up and over the cable tensioner
system (three wheels + return bullwheel). That will afix onto the back of
the carrier/sled/catipilairiairiraii.

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826
AIM          Linjerflyg
h e n d r y j r  AT  o x f o r d  DOT  n e t
(Remove bibiphoque to reply)