PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by User8249 » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:14:43


Went to the PKI radio winners night on Wednesday - it was cold!

Got on early to Tomb Raider.  WOW!!!!!!!!!.  The entry area and cave entrance
was very well done- they had the real Land Rover from the movie right up front
on display, real flame lanterns and the rockwork was impressive.  Enter the
cave and the queue line was all themed with lanterns, rocks, bamboo timbers and
tarp that really looked like an excavation.  Nice job - great queue line.

The first room is the Monkey room with all the statues from the movie - the
detail and carvings in this room were unbelievable - very well done and
realistic.  Then  -= get this -= a giant round door groans open to a mist
filled room and you go into the Buddha room!

A giant Buddha like God statue is in this room with a green cauldron -more
griffins and statues and very ornate carvings and flame lights (artificial in
here but look realistic)  All goes dark then a preshow magically appears on a
ornate screen with  a voice of God narrator of Lord Croft and a kickin' montage
of scenes from the movie with plenty of Angelina doing her wild  thing - very
exciting clips that tell the movie very well.  This room is incredible and as
good or better than Disney or Universal for sure.

Then another door opens and you go into a black room - you can't tell what's
going on but it feels like a giant space.  You can see enough to sit in the
OTSR seats but lights shine in your eyes and you can't make out much else.  And
then it begins...

I won't spoil it for the rest of you  but it is not what you expect.  You may
think you know what the ride device is but you definitely can't imagine how it
is used to deliver an amazing experience!!  Hanging over the lava pit, thrashed
into the ice , up the walls with the angry goddess .....very very cool way to
make it all work.

The theming on this attraction is the best I've ever seen at any regional park
and it rivals the destiantion park rides.  The complete package is a winner and
everyone I talked to thought it was a great experience that guests of most all
ages (over 54")could ride - so nice job PKI for delivering a broad highly
themed thrill action ride that really feels like everything Tomb Raider should
be.

Hey BW, TF, DM, JS and AE

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by FlipFlopsS » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 20:48:58

Quote:
>>I won't spoil it for the rest of you  but it is not what you expect.  You may

think you know what the ride device is but you definitely can't imagine how it
is used to deliver an amazing experience!!  Hanging over the lava pit, thrashed
into the ice , up the walls with the angry goddess .....very very cool way to
make it all work.<<

I don't want to spoil it either, but is it a top spin?  Does the addition of
all the "exciting elements" take away the impression that you're spinning
around?  I'd love to do this ride, but I'm not a "top-spinner".

Andrea.....who will be looking at top spins more closely in the next few
weeks.....  

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by mamoos » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 23:48:43

Andrea - Top Spins are not as dizzying as one might expect.  I have a
lot of friends who don't like other flat rides, such as scramblers,
wipeouts, tea cups, etc., that *will* ride a Top Spin.  If you can do
a somersault in your living room, you can ride a Top Spin.

--
Matthew Sullivan
[remove the spot to reply]
Track Record:  263

2002 - the year of LoCoSuMo !!!!


Quote:
> >>I won't spoil it for the rest of you  but it is not what you
expect.  You may
> think you know what the ride device is but you definitely can't
imagine how it
> is used to deliver an amazing experience!!  Hanging over the lava
pit, thrashed
> into the ice , up the walls with the angry goddess .....very very
cool way to
> make it all work.<<

> I don't want to spoil it either, but is it a top spin?  Does the
addition of
> all the "exciting elements" take away the impression that you're
spinning
> around?  I'd love to do this ride, but I'm not a "top-spinner".

> Andrea.....who will be looking at top spins more closely in the next
few
> weeks.....


 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Keith Hopkin » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 01:46:15


Quote:
> Andrea - Top Spins are not as dizzying as one might expect.  I have a
> lot of friends who don't like other flat rides, such as scramblers,
> wipeouts, tea cups, etc., that *will* ride a Top Spin.  If you can do
> a somersault in your living room, you can ride a Top Spin.

Likewise, if you can ride a steel looper, you can ride a Top Spin.  The Top
Spin motion is in the same plane as a standard steel loop.

A Top Spin with a fountain is infuriatingly fun.

--
Keith Hopkins

"Among the positions in which pigeons have served
 capably are replacement air traffic controllers, butterfly ballot counters
 and pro football referees during the "no-instant replay" years."
From Google's PigeonRank page.
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by FlipFlopsS » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 02:38:48

  >>If you can do
a somersault in your living room, you can ride a Top Spin.
<<

LOLOL!!  Now THAT would be a sight!  I might have to try one (a Top Spin, not a
somersault), before I hit PKI after SRM.

Andrea....trying to imagine the look on the cat's face after seeing mommy's
"performance"

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Elizabe » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 02:47:57

Well, I would elaborate on this since I was there Thursday night but
since I didn't get to ride it, I can't.
     We were there very early and there was already a big crowd.  They
let everyone in at 10 till 5 and everyone herded onto the right hand
side of the walkway which they had roped off.  Then 1 of the 3
security guards practically whispered that in a few minutes they would
*walk* us back and not to run ahead of them.  Now keep in mind that I
was very close to the front of this crowd, only a few feet away from
the guard, and I could barely hear him.  Then finally, they started
pulling back the ropes and let me just say, no one walked.  It was a
mad house, people running in all directions.  I don't know what
happend to the guards but they weren't walking anyone!
     So we get back there and actually get a decent spot in line.  The
line stretches all the way back to at least the restroom across from
the pond and next to the Pizza place.  I think it even went further
than that but I couldn't see to be sure.  We wait a few min. and then
the employees come out and say there will be a delay for a few min.
So we wait...and wait...and wait....and wait.  An hour later they
still won't say anything and suggest going to other attractions.  So
after almost an hour and a half, during which time they opened many
other rides which weren't originally scheduled to be open, we
left..not wanting to spend all night in line for a ride that may never
open.
     At that point we went and rode Vortex, Racer, Drop Zone, Flight
of Fear, Top Gun, Son of Beast and Adventure Express all of which were
walk on with the exception of Flight of Fear which we waited about 10
min. for, if that.  We decided to go back and check on TR.  When we
got back there, there was still a big line and it was shut down again.
(I believe it had opened briefly in that time period but was obviously
shut back down again.)
     So we never actually did see TR running, although I believe it
did at some point.  We heard the music from the cave but that was
about it.  I don't mind waiting to ride it, although it was a little
disappointing.
     BTW, King Cobra was a sight.  All that I could see remaining was
the lift hill and the first part of the curve that goes around the the
drop.  There was also some track still standing at the end of the
ride.  It was all fenced in and I could see a Bobcat (maybe?) thru the
fencing.  The new pay ride was already standing but looked like they
were still experimenting with it.  Looked interesting, but I'd take
King Cobra any day ;-)  ..and it was strange to see it in pieces.
     Overall, a good, *COLD* night.  But I guess I will just have to
wait for TR another time!

Elizabeth

Quote:
> Went to the PKI radio winners night on Wednesday - it was cold!

> Got on early to Tomb Raider.  WOW!!!!!!!!!.  The entry area and cave entrance
> was very well done- they had the real Land Rover from the movie right up front
> on display, real flame lanterns and the rockwork was impressive.  Enter the
> cave and the queue line was all themed with lanterns, rocks, bamboo timbers and
> tarp that really looked like an excavation.  Nice job - great queue line.

> The first room is the Monkey room with all the statues from the movie - the
> detail and carvings in this room were unbelievable - very well done and
> realistic.  Then  -= get this -= a giant round door groans open to a mist
> filled room and you go into the Buddha room!

> A giant Buddha like God statue is in this room with a green cauldron -more
> griffins and statues and very ornate carvings and flame lights (artificial in
> here but look realistic)  All goes dark then a preshow magically appears on a
> ornate screen with  a voice of God narrator of Lord Croft and a kickin' montage
> of scenes from the movie with plenty of Angelina doing her wild  thing - very
> exciting clips that tell the movie very well.  This room is incredible and as
> good or better than Disney or Universal for sure.

> Then another door opens and you go into a black room - you can't tell what's
> going on but it feels like a giant space.  You can see enough to sit in the
> OTSR seats but lights shine in your eyes and you can't make out much else.  And
> then it begins...

> I won't spoil it for the rest of you  but it is not what you expect.  You may
> think you know what the ride device is but you definitely can't imagine how it
> is used to deliver an amazing experience!!  Hanging over the lava pit, thrashed
> into the ice , up the walls with the angry goddess .....very very cool way to
> make it all work.

> The theming on this attraction is the best I've ever seen at any regional park
> and it rivals the destiantion park rides.  The complete package is a winner and
> everyone I talked to thought it was a great experience that guests of most all
> ages (over 54")could ride - so nice job PKI for delivering a broad highly
> themed thrill action ride that really feels like everything Tomb Raider should
> be.

> Hey BW, TF, DM, JS and AE

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by mamoos » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:35:39


Quote:
> A Top Spin with a fountain is infuriatingly fun.

Translation:  Keith likes to be squirted on ;-)

--
Matthew Sullivan
[remove the spot to reply]
Track Record:  263

2002 - the year of LoCoSuMo !!!!

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Keith Hopkin » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:47:59


Quote:


> > A Top Spin with a fountain is infuriatingly fun.

> Translation:  Keith likes to be squirted on ;-)

Don't go there.  :-)

--
Keith Hopkins

"Among the positions in which pigeons have served
 capably are replacement air traffic controllers, butterfly ballot counters
 and pro football referees during the "no-instant replay" years."
From Google's PigeonRank page.
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by mamoos » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 06:53:31


Quote:
>> Translation:  Keith likes to be squirted on ;-)
> Don't go there.  :-)

Too late ;-)

--
Matthew Sullivan
[remove the spot to reply]
Track Record:  263

2002 - the year of LoCoSuMo !!!!

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Rastus O'Ging » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 09:13:11



Quote:
>     So we get back there and actually get a decent spot in line.  The
>line stretches all the way back to at least the restroom across from
>the pond and next to the Pizza place.  I think it even went further
>than that but I couldn't see to be sure.  We wait a few min. and then
>the employees come out and say there will be a delay for a few min.
>So we wait...and wait...and wait....and wait.  An hour later they
>still won't say anything and suggest going to other attractions.

Another great PKI PR example.  Hype the living *** out of a ride, but
don't have it open for the grand opening.  Sure, things happen, but
they ALWAYS seem to happen at PKI.  At the very least, Seibert should
have been there tap-dancing for the crowd and handing out some
freebies.  In extreme instances of bad timing, things should be done.
Opening the other rides was a good effort, but TR should have had the
living hell tested out of it with the hype for it.

I can see it coming, TR will operate about 3 hours this Saturday, and
half of Cincinnati will be pissed off.  THey should have 4 trains
ready for the Beast and be ready to turn some brakes off, just in
case.

Rastus O'Ginga

Winner of the 2nd Annual C. Montgomery Burns Award for
Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

ANTI-BED-WETTING-LIBELRAL DISCLAIMER:
The content of this post, and all previous posts made by this user, is 100%
opinion.  Any similarity between this post and the truth is purely
coincidental.  Anyone who reads this post and draws conclusions about it is
doing so by their choice.  How they use those conclusions to direct their
own lives and opinions from that point forward is absolutely a result of
their own cognitive abilities and is in no way related or legally binded to
this poster.  NO individual, business entity, or legal authority should use
the content of this post, or any other post by the originator, in whole, or
in part, to assist in making a decision that could affect the lives of any
of the inhabitants of planet Earth, since the content may not be true.

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Dave Althoff » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:15:24


: >     So we get back there and actually get a decent spot in line.  The
: >line stretches all the way back to at least the restroom across from
: >the pond and next to the Pizza place.  I think it even went further
: >than that but I couldn't see to be sure.  We wait a few min. and then
: >the employees come out and say there will be a delay for a few min.
: >So we wait...and wait...and wait....and wait.  An hour later they
: >still won't say anything and suggest going to other attractions.

: Another great PKI PR example.  Hype the living *** out of a ride, but
: don't have it open for the grand opening.  Sure, things happen, but
: they ALWAYS seem to happen at PKI.  At the very least, Seibert should
: have been there tap-dancing for the crowd and handing out some
: freebies.  In extreme instances of bad timing, things should be done.
: Opening the other rides was a good effort, but TR should have had the
: living hell tested out of it with the hype for it.

: I can see it coming, TR will operate about 3 hours this Saturday, and
: half of Cincinnati will be pissed off.  THey should have 4 trains
: ready for the Beast and be ready to turn some brakes off, just in
: case.

Actually, The Beast has already been announced to be down mechanical this
weekend... 8-(  I hear they're making the cars heavier again.

Personally, I'm glad I don't work for Kings Island's marketing division.
It's got to be one of the most frustrating places in the whole industry to
work.  Jeff and David have become outstanding punters (in the football
sense) in the past few years.  It never seems to fail:  Everything is all
set up, all the pieces are falling into place, they get this tremendous
promotional event or public relations event planned and staged and right
when it looks like everything is going to be perfect, something happens to
kick them right in the nuts.  There's got to be some bad karma there
someplace...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
--
    /-\        _       _               *** Closed for the season. ***
   /XXX\      /X\     /X\_      _     /X\__      _     _        _____
  /XXXXX\    /XXX\  _/XXXX\_   /X\   /XXXXX\    /X\   /X\      /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by CTcheers » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:22:14

Oh yeah that was intelligent . You are such an Ass! PKI owes nothing to anyone
there last night seeing how we were ALL season pass holders. I was dissapointed
as well but I have a season's pass....not a free season's pass like you might
like all of us to have. Yeah you know what maybe you are right...lets give all
the attendees last Night Free one day admission to the park to ride TR another
night...oh yeah...WE ARE ALL PASSHOLDERS. I will Agree with you on one thing
though.....they need to Brake the Beast less!
Chris
 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by CTcheers » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:27:25

Hey David...I have a question for you about the Beast...I have heard alot of
differing ideas on what is going on woth the Beastand its Brakes. Does anyone
but the people in charge know exactly what is going on? Will the Brakes be
lighter?

Chris

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Vortex » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:30:50

Quote:
>.lets give all
>the attendees last Night Free one day admission to the park to ride TR
>another
>night...oh yeah...WE ARE ALL PASSHOLDERS

Actually - at least 97 of the attendees were winners of the 97.3 Channel Z
radio contest.  So perhaps they should get some free tickets to experience Tomb
Raider at a later time.

Mike

 
 
 

PKI Tomb Raider TR - woo hoo

Post by Vortex » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:32:02

Quote:
>Personally, I'm glad I don't work for Kings Island's marketing division.
>It's got to be one of the most frustrating places in the whole industry to
>work.  Jeff and David have become outstanding punters (in the football
>sense) in the past few years.  It never seems to fail:  Everything is all
>set up, all the pieces are falling into place, they get this tremendous
>promotional event or public relations event planned and staged and right
>when it looks like everything is going to be perfect, something happens to
>kick them right in the nuts.  There's got to be some bad karma there
>someplace...

It must be Tower Johnny!!  :)