Which Bilge Pump?

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Chri » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:18:37


I'd like recommendations which brand/type
automatic bilge pump to get: It will need to
fit into the bilge of a Newport 27, which I am
guessing is 4" wide and 4-5" high.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Lew Hodget » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:33:06

Quote:

> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
> automatic bilge pump to get:

THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

Forget the automatic option.

The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

In that case, let's talk.

Lew

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Stephen Trapan » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:58:17

Quote:


>> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
>> automatic bilge pump to get:

> THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

> Forget the automatic option.

> The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
> you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

> In that case, let's talk.

What about the Bilge Buddy? (at the bottom of the page:)

http://www.snake-river.org/Products.asp?ID=3

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
   -- Imre Lakatos

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Lew Hodget » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:33:03

Quote:
> What about the Bilge Buddy? (at the bottom of the page:)

> http://www.snake-river.org/Products.asp?ID=3

Won't get my boat bucs.

It is technology that has been around for a long time.

Nothing new.

Lew

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Evan Gatehous » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:44:29

Quote:


>> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
>> automatic bilge pump to get:

> THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

> Forget the automatic option.

> The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
> you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

> In that case, let's talk.

> Lew

Lew did you perhaps mean the Rule 2000?

I agree that it's the smallest Rule pump that isn't affected
  as badly by 6' of head when pumping (only drops off to
about 1500 GPH)

The 1500 Model drops down to 750 GPH at 6' head.

Evan Gatehouse

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Wayne. » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:11:11

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:44:29 -0800, Evan Gatehouse

Quote:

>Lew did you perhaps mean the Rule 2000?

>I agree that it's the smallest Rule pump that isn't affected
>  as badly by 6' of head when pumping (only drops off to
>about 1500 GPH)

====================================

I believe the Rule 2000 is more than 4 or 5 inches high, which is all
the bilge space claimed by the original post.  That's not very much
room to work with in my experience, and will probably require either a
small pump, or a larger pump external to the bilge with a pickup hose.
Pumps with a pickup hose are considerably more expensive because of
the need for valves, self priming capability, etc.

The other issue that I've seen with shallow bilges is the need for a
pump on both sides.  Otherwise you can't get water out when the boat
is heeled over.

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Brian Whatcot » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:17:21

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:33:06 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Quote:


>> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
>> automatic bilge pump to get:

>THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

>Forget the automatic option.

>The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
>you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

>In that case, let's talk.

>Lew

Here's my dream switch:
a mercury capsule with silver soldered microfine gold  plated copper
connecting wire encapsulated in sulphate *** and fastened to a gold
plated beryllium copper flex hinge in a  gold plated copper gauze
container in an anodized aluminum perforated box. = $400

Your move...

Brian Whatcott     Altus OK

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Brian Whatcot » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:21:14

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:58:17 -0800, Stephen Trapani

Quote:



>>> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
>>> automatic bilge pump to get:

>> THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

>> Forget the automatic option.

>> The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
>> you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

>> In that case, let's talk.

>What about the Bilge Buddy? (at the bottom of the page:)

>http://www.snake-river.org/Products.asp?ID=3

Looks interesting. Connections would be the Achilles heel, and
electrical trainsients could be problematic

Brian Whatcott    Altus OK

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Jim Conli » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:37:11

When the batteries are dead, all of the electric pumps deliver 0 gph at
best, so don't neglect a manual pump that is big enough to deal with a real
leak.  Edson pumps are excellent but overkill for a smaller boat.  The lager
Whale pumps are good.  A bucket or two and a cheap plastic piston type pump
are good insurance.


Quote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:44:29 -0800, Evan Gatehouse

> >Lew did you perhaps mean the Rule 2000?

> >I agree that it's the smallest Rule pump that isn't affected
> >  as badly by 6' of head when pumping (only drops off to
> >about 1500 GPH)

> ====================================

> I believe the Rule 2000 is more than 4 or 5 inches high, which is all
> the bilge space claimed by the original post.  That's not very much
> room to work with in my experience, and will probably require either a
> small pump, or a larger pump external to the bilge with a pickup hose.
> Pumps with a pickup hose are considerably more expensive because of
> the need for valves, self priming capability, etc.

> The other issue that I've seen with shallow bilges is the need for a
> pump on both sides.  Otherwise you can't get water out when the boat
> is heeled over.

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Lew Hodget » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:46:15

Quote:

> Lew did you perhaps mean the Rule 2000?

Tes.

Lew

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Jere Lul » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:03:00


Quote:

> I'd like recommendations which brand/type automatic bilge pump to
> get: It will need to fit into the bilge of a Newport 27, which I am
> guessing is 4" wide and 4-5" high.

We have the smallest Rule in the bilge.

About 6" higher and much further aft (under the***pit, giving shorter
lines & less "lift") is the biggest one we found. Has never been used in
anger.

The Rule is their "auto" one: if it has power, it'll try to pump for a
few seconds every few minutes -- a real drain so I put a float switch
back in line. If the switch sticks "on", we're still covered for about a
week. I don't really like the Rule, but it's still working and I haven't
had an urge to switch it out.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-a-Deux ('73 Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD)
Xan's Pages: http://SportToday.org/
Our BVI FAQs (290+ pics) http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Pete » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:52:53

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:33:06 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Quote:


>> I'd like recommendations which brand/type
>> automatic bilge pump to get:

>THe Rule 200 provides the biggest bang for the buck.

>Forget the automatic option.

>The bilge pump switch hasn't been invented that is worth a hoot unless
>you want to spend about $1,000 for one.

>In that case, let's talk.

Hi,

I've had good results with one of these in a dirty bilge (last on
page):

<http://www.rule-industries.com/rule/floatsw.asp>

Needs covering with a 'basket' though.

As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:

<http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm>

cheers,
Pete.

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Larr » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 23:30:48



Quote:
> Needs covering with a 'basket' though.

Speaking of "baskets", I like the idea of putting the bilge pump into a
basket made of coarse plastic screen much larger than the bilge pump.  
This makes a larger filter to keep the trash out of the pump so it
doesn't clog so fast as the tiny basket it comes with and keeps the pump,
itself, clean of trash so you don't have to disassemble and clean it.  
Pick up the pump out of the basket, pull the basket out of the bilge and
clean it on the dock with the hose and replace it easily.  The 12 slots
in the bottom of the pump never get clogged up and the large surface of
the basket takes a lot of clogging before you must clean it.

If you bilge, like ours, is too deep to reach the pump 5 ft down, suspend
the basket with the pump in it on a line so you can pick the whole affair
up to reach it.

Lionheart's bilge stays cleaner than the old Endeavours because the sink
water drains all that Dawn grease cutting dishwater into the main pump,
constantly dissolving any oil and grease into pumpable liquids.  It also
keeps the bilge fresh from smelling like a swamp.  Use anti-bacterial
Dawn and it kills the little stinkers sloshing around down there.  You
have to be careful to use a sink strainer to keep the solids from going
down the drain.  It would be nice to have an easily removable strainer in
the sink drain.

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by derbyr » Sat, 03 Dec 2005 12:29:06

The Johnson looks interesting.  Is it available in the US?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm


Quote:

> As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
> pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:
> <http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm>
> cheers,
> Pete.

 
 
 

Which Bilge Pump?

Post by Pete » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:18:31



Quote:
>The Johnson looks interesting.  Is it available in the US?

Hi,

Looks like they go under the name 'Mayfair':

<http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&sl=on&lmode=onl...>

cheers,
Pete.

Quote:

>Roger

>http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm



>> As far as pumps go I'd get one of the Johnson 'cartridge' ones, as the
>> pump motor can be replaced without touching the hoses:
>> <http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/bilge/Cartridge_Duo.htm>
>> cheers,
>> Pete.