Marine Trader Trawler

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by Jim Mor » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00


I am very close to purchasing a 1985 Marine Trader double cabin trawler.  
It has twin 90hp diesels (Volvo TMD30A) with 750 hours on the engines.  It
also has a 8kw Kohler generator (1990) with 400 hours.  Two Marine Air air
conditioning units and minimal electronics.

I am interested in finding out if this is a vessel which I should pursue...
or avoid...  as well as anything else you may be able to tell me about it.

Please feel free to respond either to the list or to my email address.

Thank you.

 
 
 

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by Bob Stephens » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am very close to purchasing a 1985 Marine Trader double cabin trawler.  
> It has twin 90hp diesels (Volvo TMD30A) with 750 hours on the engines.  It
> also has a 8kw Kohler generator (1990) with 400 hours.  Two Marine Air air
> conditioning units and minimal electronics.

> I am interested in finding out if this is a vessel which I should pursue...
> or avoid...  as well as anything else you may be able to tell me about it.

> Please feel free to respond either to the list or to my email address.

> Thank you.

Here's a place you can get information on Marine Traders - the Marine
Trader Owners Association.

An excellent place to get information, find other trawler owners who will
let you dock at their homes along the way South ( these people are "Port
Captains"), meet other trawler liveaboards, join in on rendezvous with 50
or more trawlers, receive a 100+ page quarterly newsletter, is to join the
MTOA.  This is a trawler owners association currently with about 450
trawler (and crews) strong.  All makes of trawlers belong and lots of new
friends are made.  It's nice to see other members cruising up and down the
ICW or have a phone number to call if you need boat help, a place to stay,
a car to use to go shopping, or advice where to drop the hook (and where
not to ).

For a free intro package, write:

M.T.O.A.
Att: Jim Mattingly
1916 Crain Hwy. S. #19
Glen Burnie, MD  21061

and ask for the #023 new member packet.

Jim will get a package of information out to you quickly.

Good cruising
Bob Stephenson
St. Pete  FL

--
Bob Stephenson

--- Never try to outstubborn a cat ---

 
 
 

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by Jim Swi » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Marine Trader (qas well as mony other trawler brands) are Taiwanese knock-offs
of the Grand Banks trawlers.  Every class of boat has its perceived high-end
brand(s) and in the case of trawlers it's the Grand Banks - they have high initial
cost and high resale value.

My opinion and also what I've read in places like Powerboat Reports is that the
next echelon down, occupied by brands like Island Gypsy and Marine Trader, are
indeed very good boats, and in fact the the reality of the superiority of the
Grand Banks may be pretty thin.  

You of course realize that you are looking at the slowest type of motorcraft
on the water.  Many displacement-style trawlers are bought by ex-sailboat owners
who for age or whatever other reason no longer feel like dealing with sails.
For these people the 8kt cruise of the boat you are looking at is no problem.

For someone coming from any other class of powerboat, you may be frustrated
by the limited speed, although when I get older and am no longer in such a hurry,
the quiet and fuel efficiency of such a boat may become quite appealing.

 
 
 

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by Bob Stephens » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> Marine Trader (qas well as mony other trawler brands) are Taiwanese knock-offs
> of the Grand Banks trawlers.  Every class of boat has its perceived high-end
> brand(s) and in the case of trawlers it's the Grand Banks - they have
high initial
> cost and high resale value.

> My opinion and also what I've read in places like Powerboat Reports is
that the
> next echelon down, occupied by brands like Island Gypsy and Marine Trader, are
> indeed very good boats, and in fact the the reality of the superiority of the
> Grand Banks may be pretty thin.  

> You of course realize that you are looking at the slowest type of motorcraft
> on the water.  Many displacement-style trawlers are bought by
ex-sailboat owners
> who for age or whatever other reason no longer feel like dealing with sails.
> For these people the 8kt cruise of the boat you are looking at is no problem.

> For someone coming from any other class of powerboat, you may be frustrated
> by the limited speed, although when I get older and am no longer in such
a hurry,
> the quiet and fuel efficiency of such a boat may become quite appealing.

Actually I believe Don Miller developed the Marine Trader trawler from
concepts he had and not copied from any other existing trawler.  That
aside, you're right about the slow cruising speeds - 7 to 9 knots on the
average with Lehman engines.  Some newer trawler go considerably faster,
but at a great fuel price!  Last year I saw a 38' MT *UP ON PLANE* in the
Ft. Myers, FL area.  That feat must have cost him dearly in fuel !!

I switched from a 25' WellCraft with a 235hp outboard - 40 mph, to a 38'
MT at 7 knots.  What a pleasure to sit on the Fly bridge and cruise at
slow speed with the auto pilot on - really relaxing.  No pounding, smooth
riding, a real joy!  I have had times though when I wish I had more speed
to out run a storm, but the trawler came through the storms fine anyway
(still I'd prefer *NOT* to be caught in storms).

Go for the trawler and enjoy you time on the water.

Bob s

--
Bob Stephenson

--- Never try to outstubborn a cat ---

 
 
 

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by Walt Bilofs » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I switched from a 25' WellCraft with a 235hp outboard - 40 mph, to a 38'
>MT at 7 knots.  What a pleasure to sit on the Fly bridge and cruise at
>slow speed with the auto pilot on - really relaxing.  No pounding, smooth
>riding, a real joy!  I have had times though when I wish I had more speed
>to out run a storm, but the trawler came through the storms fine anyway
>(still I'd prefer *NOT* to be caught in storms).

I have a semi-displacement boat and also love to cruise at 6 knots on
the flybridge with the autopilot on.  However, when it gets choppy, I
find it less uncomfortable pounding at higher speeds than bobbing like
a cork. Is this just a matter of taste (or tummy)?  Or are trawlers
more comfortable at displacement speeds than a planing hull?  

(Maybe this is a dumb question - but when shopping for my next boat
I'll be able to see pictures, inspect boats, look at the construction
- but the one thing brokers don't let you do is take the thing out in
a chop before you've bought it.  So any education on how different
boats ride would be appreciated.)  
Walt Bilofsky
Golden Phoenix (Cape Dory 30 Poweryacht)

 
 
 

Marine Trader Trawler

Post by James Calo » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> Go for the trawler and enjoy you time on the water.

What, in your opinion, are the Top 3 Trawler Mfg in terms of quality and value?

--
James Calore
Star Tech Journal, Inc.
--------------------------------------
http://www.***enet.net/web/startech/
--------------------------------------
Serving the Coin-Op Games Industry