OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by Brya » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:53:32



Quote:

> Bush warns of 'tough summer' with higher petrol prices
> Apr 22 10:54 PM US/Eastern
> http://tinyurl.com/fbtdu

> But even as the president stressed Saturday that the government was making
> efforts to protect consumers from price-gouging, he said there was little
> he could do in the short term to alleviate the impact of higher oil
> prices.

> (Indeed, there is little he could do, but...a real president could find
> something to do that would help.)

Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what it
is that YOU think bush or any other president could do to bring our gas
prices back to their pre-bush levels or even just back to $2 pg.

Why not propose a theory that bush is manipulating oil prices to keep our
mind off the war in iraq or the illegal immigration issues?

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by John Gaqui » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:14:04

Quote:

> Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what
> it is that YOU think bush or any other president could do .......

Bryan, you have to understand that neither Harry nor any other leftie is
prepared to offer workable solutions.  They really don't want to *solve* the
issue, they merely want to *own* it.  The rhetoric is invincable, solutions
invisible.

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by basskisse » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:13:57

Quote:



> > Bush warns of 'tough summer' with higher petrol prices
> > Apr 22 10:54 PM US/Eastern
> > http://tinyurl.com/fbtdu

> > But even as the president stressed Saturday that the government was making
> > efforts to protect consumers from price-gouging, he said there was little
> > he could do in the short term to alleviate the impact of higher oil
> > prices.

> > (Indeed, there is little he could do, but...a real president could find
> > something to do that would help.)

> Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what it
> is that YOU think bush or any other president could do to bring our gas
> prices back to their pre-bush levels or even just back to $2 pg.

> Why not propose a theory that bush is manipulating oil prices to keep our
> mind off the war in iraq or the illegal immigration issues?

One of the driving factors is the mid-east crisis making investors
jittery. And the mid-east crisis, is, unfortunately due to Bush's
blunders.

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by jps » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:33:54


says...

Quote:


> > Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what
> > it is that YOU think bush or any other president could do .......

> Bryan, you have to understand that neither Harry nor any other leftie is
> prepared to offer workable solutions.  They really don't want to *solve* the
> issue, they merely want to *own* it.  The rhetoric is invincable, solutions
> invisible.

Nice turn of phrase, too bad it's a pile of crap.

Here are some suggestions on how Bush could affect the situation
positively:

Bush has destabilized the mid-east. His swashbuckling is responsible for
helping to freak out everyone in the supply chain with his talk on Iran.  
Iran's own swashbuckling counterpart, eager to stand up to American
willpower, matches the idiotic talk with more idiotic talk.  That makes
oil traders nervous, pushing up commodity contracts.  If we're going to
do something about Iran, let's just do it and stop talking about it.

So, #1 suggestion is to stop the idiotic talk which plays directly into
Iran's desire to stand up to the US.

Bush has done little, if anything, to spur conservation.  No interest in
pushing through higher cafe standards, little interest in rewarding
creators, investors, and purchasers of alternative energy.

So, #2 is directly asking people to conserve and rewarding those who do.

The government has foisted new blending requirements so corn growers can
find a market for their product.  Ethanol is an inefficient fuel to
manufacture.

So, #3 is to stop the forced use of ethanol and stop the subsidies to
farmers who grow crops that aren't marketable or cause oversupply.  
Temporarily lift blending requirements that cause refineries expensive
downtime.  This isn't to suggest that these standards should disappear,
just suspend them for one season.

The government has been giving tax breaks to those folks willing to
purchase high gross weight vehicles for their businesses.  
Unfortunately, many SUVs qualify for the tax breaks, incenting people to
purchase gas guzzlers.

So, #4 is to close the tax loophole that incents businesses to purchase
gas guzzling SUVs.

Hybrid vehicles are in high demand and short supply.  In city driving
they get three or four times the mileage of a normal gas powered auto.  
Bush could offer incentives to American auto makers to push more hybrids
off their lines and tax breaks to consumers who purchase them.

So, #5 is to incent auto makers and consumers to get on the hybrid
bandwagon.

With another 10 minutes of thought I'm sure I could come up with another
10 ideas, none of which would be worth the time of day for the
republicans running country, 'cause it'd***up their pristine record
of looking after the interests of big business.

Bryan, there may be nothing directly within Bush's power to affect gas
prices, but he has the power to create a chain of events that would help
or even eliminate the situation.

It's not unreasonable for the American people to expect the president to
do what he can to move our country towards more efficient energy
consumption.  Trouble with this guy is that it's nearly impossible to
move him beyond the empty chatter unless there's some upside for his
rich buddies.

Those rich buddies are making huge sums off the American people right
now.  Don't expect him to move on any of the above apart from a "blue
ribbon commission" that'll conclude, 3 years from now, that no gouging
was taking place.

Republicans are the party of the rich and those stupid enough to buy
into their wedge issues.

jps

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by basskisse » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:39:34

Quote:


> > Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what
> > it is that YOU think bush or any other president could do .......

> Bryan, you have to understand that neither Harry nor any other leftie is
> prepared to offer workable solutions.  They really don't want to *solve* the
> issue, they merely want to *own* it.  The rhetoric is invincable, solutions
> invisible.

Speaking of rhetoric, you're above diatribe is right out of a Hannity
script!!
 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by tschna.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:00:56

Quote:

> Bush warns of 'tough summer' with higher petrol prices
> Apr 22 10:54 PM US/Eastern
> http://tinyurl.com/fbtdu

I liked this article better...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/22/D8H5DA7G5.html

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by Brya » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:04:26


Quote:



>>> Bush warns of 'tough summer' with higher petrol prices
>>> Apr 22 10:54 PM US/Eastern
>>> http://tinyurl.com/fbtdu

>>> But even as the president stressed Saturday that the government was
>>> making efforts to protect consumers from price-gouging, he said there
>>> was little he could do in the short term to alleviate the impact of
>>> higher oil prices.

>>> (Indeed, there is little he could do, but...a real president could find
>>> something to do that would help.)

>> Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what
>> it is that YOU think bush or any other president could do to bring our
>> gas prices back to their pre-bush levels or even just back to $2 pg.

>> Why not propose a theory that bush is manipulating oil prices to keep our
>> mind off the war in iraq or the illegal immigration issues?

> I think a real president would immediately appoint a small, special
> blue-ribbon panel to investigate oil company bookkeeping methods, to look
> for collusion, profiteering (excess profits), et cetera, and engage in
> jaw-boning, including direct PUBLIC talks with oil execs to push them into
> a bit of patriotism.

> For starters.

Harry,
There's been one committee after another and they all concluded that no
illegal activities are taking place.  Fact, or fiction, it's still the
conclusion.
 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by Brya » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:32:36


Quote:

> says...


> Bryan, there may be nothing directly within Bush's power to affect gas
> prices, but he has the power to create a chain of events that would help
> or even eliminate the situation.

> It's not unreasonable for the American people to expect the president to
> do what he can to move our country towards more efficient energy
> consumption.

I must have been waiting for the wrong bus, because the last president I
recall trying to do anything about our dependence on foreign oil, on oil,
anything beside attacking the continental shelf and alaska's north slope was
carter.

Hybrids, cars with better gas mileage, domestic oil, do not solve the long
term problem of dependency on a diminishing resource.  No one needs to fire
a shot at the U.S. to defeat this country, they just need to cripple us
economically and our economy is dependent on other peoples oil.  It seems
that others have the upper hand and it's just a matter of time.

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by John Gaqui » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:34:14

Quote:

> Speaking of rhetoric, you're above diatribe is right out of a Hannity
> script!!

First, what I wrote above hardly qualifies as a diatribe.

Second, I haven't had the opportunity or inclination to listen to Hannity in
almost two years. Even if he has espoused a similar point, it should not
come as shocking to anyone.  All one has to do is observe national politics
to arrive at the same conclusion.

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by John Gaqui » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 05:11:55

Quote:

> .......the mid-east crisis making investors
> jittery.

Smart investors have been jittery over the mid-east since WW I.

Quote:
>And the mid-east crisis, is, unfortunately due to Bush's
> blunders.

No shit??!!!  All of it?  The whole thing??  The rise of Sa'ud, the fall of
the Ottomans, the Sykes-Picot agreement?   The Irgun, the post WW II
partition, the 1948 A/I War, the displaced Palestinians, the "Suez Crisis"?
The 1967 and 1973 wars?  The Munich Olympics, the PLO,  Khomeini and the
Iran hostages?  The Lebanon, the inumerable false starts toward agreement,
intifadas, Hamas, bus bombings, IDF rocket attacks, car bombings,school
bombings, suicide bombers?  Wahabism, the Muslim Brotherhood.......yada,
yada, yada, yada.......  all this due to the unconscionable and inestimable
blunders of one man?

Once more, your insight and analysis proves startling.

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by RCE » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 05:22:57


Quote:


>> .......the mid-east crisis making investors
>> jittery.

> Smart investors have been jittery over the mid-east since WW I.

>>And the mid-east crisis, is, unfortunately due to Bush's
>> blunders.

> No shit??!!!  All of it?  The whole thing??  The rise of Sa'ud, the fall
> of the Ottomans, the Sykes-Picot agreement?   The Irgun, the post WW II
> partition, the 1948 A/I War, the displaced Palestinians, the "Suez
> Crisis"? The 1967 and 1973 wars?  The Munich Olympics, the PLO,  Khomeini
> and the Iran hostages?  The Lebanon, the inumerable false starts toward
> agreement, intifadas, Hamas, bus bombings, IDF rocket attacks, car
> bombings,school bombings, suicide bombers?  Wahabism, the Muslim
> Brotherhood.......yada, yada, yada, yada.......  all this due to the
> unconscionable and inestimable blunders of one man?

> Once more, your insight and analysis proves startling.

I was watching a TV documentary of the history of Iraq a couple of weeks
ago.  Seems one of Saddam's mentors and major influences was an uncle or
something who in turn was politically heavily influenced by Hitler in WWII.
Iraq and Nazi Germany had a "special" relationship.

RCE

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by wf3h » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 05:44:36

Quote:

> I think a real president would immediately appoint a small, special
> blue-ribbon panel to investigate oil company bookkeeping methods, to
> look for collusion, profiteering (excess profits), et cetera, and engage
> in jaw-boning, including direct PUBLIC talks with oil execs to push them
> into a bit of patriotism.

> For starters.

not only that, but we could start a manhatten project for alternative
energy sources. that would have 2 effects

1. put the fear of god into OPEC
2. put us on the fast track to deal with the inevitable end of oil

he could also explain to his saudi friends that oil at $75/barrel is
not in their best interests

but bush is an oil man so sees it as a m***right for the rich,
especially the oiled rich, to accumulate as much wealth as they
can...it's god's will

 
 
 

OT: Bush warns of 'tough summer'

Post by wf3h » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 05:46:43

Quote:


> > Harry, I'm no fan of the bush administration, but I've got to wonder what
> > it is that YOU think bush or any other president could do .......

> Bryan, you have to understand that neither Harry nor any other leftie is
> prepared to offer workable solutions.  They really don't want to *solve* the
> issue, they merely want to *own* it.  The rhetoric is invincable, solutions
> invisible.

well let's see. bush is bankrupting the country, is fighting a 3 year
old war that he's not winning, and his oil buddies are making a
fortune...

c'mon...the retiring chairman of exxon just got almost half a billion
dollar retirement package

you dont see ANYTHING in those facts?