New coach needs help

New coach needs help

Post by XB » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:01:55


hi all,

i'm trying to help out a fledgling team. i've played the game before,
but i've never coached. i've been assigned to help with the infield.
i'm not really sure what drills to run outside of just hitting ground
balls, etc. i'm hoping to get some tips on drills that can help with
fundamentals and situations, and if the kids can have fun at the same
time, all the better. another problem is this: not all the infielders
are there at every practice, so i need drills that will accommodate
this. can someone suggest some drills, a site, etc.? any help would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by Dan Rosso » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:31:50

First of all what is the age group your coaching?  What are the goals
you have for a successful season?  What is the experience of your
players?

Answer these questions and then some of the more experienced coaches can
give you some legitimate ideas.  If someone offers you drills without
some of this knowledge they are wasting your time.

Quote:

> hi all,

> i'm trying to help out a fledgling team. i've played the game before,
> but i've never coached. i've been assigned to help with the infield.
> i'm not really sure what drills to run outside of just hitting ground
> balls, etc. i'm hoping to get some tips on drills that can help with
> fundamentals and situations, and if the kids can have fun at the same
> time, all the better. another problem is this: not all the infielders
> are there at every practice, so i need drills that will accommodate
> this. can someone suggest some drills, a site, etc.? any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

> thanks in advance.


 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by XB » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:27:13

good point. they are a JV high school squad. many of them have played
some softball, but they are not fundamentally sound yet. i don't
expect us to set the world on fire, however, i'm hoping to avoid
situations where we are running around out there with nary a clue as
to what we are doing.

thanks.

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:31:50 GMT, Dan Rosson

Quote:

>First of all what is the age group your coaching?  What are the goals
>you have for a successful season?  What is the experience of your
>players?

>Answer these questions and then some of the more experienced coaches can
>give you some legitimate ideas.  If someone offers you drills without
>some of this knowledge they are wasting your time.


>> hi all,

>> i'm trying to help out a fledgling team. i've played the game before,
>> but i've never coached. i've been assigned to help with the infield.
>> i'm not really sure what drills to run outside of just hitting ground
>> balls, etc. i'm hoping to get some tips on drills that can help with
>> fundamentals and situations, and if the kids can have fun at the same
>> time, all the better. another problem is this: not all the infielders
>> are there at every practice, so i need drills that will accommodate
>> this. can someone suggest some drills, a site, etc.? any help would be
>> greatly appreciated.

>> thanks in advance.


 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by DKostrze » Thu, 08 Feb 2001 22:59:20

Hi all,

Thanks for the help with the drills.  I may be coaching again this year (rec
league with a wide range of skills) and this will definitely go into my
baseball book

Dennis

 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by Hal Skinne » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 04:15:19

"another problem is this: not all the infielders  are there at every
practice, so i need drills that will accommodate this".

Hi XB.  A question, why are they not showing up for your team practices?

To run any game situation drills you must be able to field a full team and
have a few extra for hitters/runners also.  Have you ever played in a game
on a team that did not practice together?  It is usually a case of looking
like the Keystone Cops.

If you have players that don't make it to practice, then you don't have a
team that will be close to competitive.

Find some new infielders or lay down the law to the ones you have.  If they
don't take the committment serious, find some that will.  Maybe it's a case
of having some legitimate reasons why but if not, you might want to find
some serious players.

 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by SLGREEN » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:51:29

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is a site that you can go and
purchase a video from Howard Kabata which shows different techniques in
fielding and throwing.  He is based out of Orange County.  The site is
softballskills.com  He is also having a coaches clinic on February 28, 2001.
You can find out more about this at 714-289-2246.  My daughter has attended his
classes along with many of her friends for 4 years and it has greatly benefited
her.....

Susan Green

 
 
 

New coach needs help

Post by XB » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:20:46

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:15:19 GMT, "Hal Skinner"

Quote:

>"another problem is this: not all the infielders  are there at every
>practice, so i need drills that will accommodate this".

>Hi XB.  A question, why are they not showing up for your team practices?

>To run any game situation drills you must be able to field a full team and
>have a few extra for hitters/runners also.  Have you ever played in a game
>on a team that did not practice together?  It is usually a case of looking
>like the Keystone Cops.

>If you have players that don't make it to practice, then you don't have a
>team that will be close to competitive.

>Find some new infielders or lay down the law to the ones you have.  If they
>don't take the committment serious, find some that will.  Maybe it's a case
>of having some legitimate reasons why but if not, you might want to find
>some serious players.

therein lies one of the problems. we just don't have a big talent pool
to choose from. we barely have 10 players as it is, so it's tough to
lay down the law. some practices have only 3 infielders show up. and
you're right. it's very much like the keystone cops out there. most of
the girls have some experience. they can all throw and field to a
degree. but because of the lack of practice (or lack of proper
practice), they get into situations, and not everyone knows where to
go, what to do, etc. i don't even know if there is a simple solution
to the problem at hand.

other teams we've seen/played have people at key positions who simply
do things like they are second nature. our players freeze and "choke"
(for lack of a better term). lots of wild throws (i've seen them make
the same throws during practice w/o any problems), forgetting to cover
the bags, etc.

hoping to get the ship righted, just not quite sure where to start.