Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by MMKE » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00


Wayne,

My daughters came from a Bobby Sox league where they had a division for 8
& 9 year-old players that played a modified fastpitch game.  

They played with some modified rules.  Here are some of the rules they
played by.  It has been highly successful in developing players at an
early age.

PITCHING:  The players pitch (windmill or slingshot).  The pitching
distance was shortened from the older girls (you could use 33-35 feet).
There are NO walks.  If the batter reaches a count of 4 balls, the
offensive coach steps in to pitch to his own girl.  This is usually done
underhand as the coach is trying to pitch a "lollipop" that his batter can
hit.  The batter keeps the same count which she accumulated with the team
pitcher--which also means that it's possible for her own coach to strike
her out.  Her at bat is completed when she either strikes out or puts the
ball in play.

PLAYERS:  There are 10 players (4 outfielders).  This helps alleviate
having the little girls cover so much area when a ball is put in play to
the outfield.

STEALING:  There is NO stealing of bases.  Otherwise, you can imagine how
the ball would be thrown all around the field, most likely resulting in a
run for the offense.

STRIKE ZONE:  The strike zone may be enlarged to shoulders and knees.  Our
league actually tried this one year then went back to the regular strike
zone, so as to prepare the girls to have an eye for the correct strike
zone when they move up a division.

By allowing the girls to pitch, it helps develop pitchers earlier.  It
also has been helpful in making the transition from the "mini" division to
the next level up where the girls were petrified facing such "fast"
pitchers.  It helped eliminate some of the fear factor.

It is a really exciting division.  And it's really fun watching the girls
play some "real" softball a that age.

Good luck......
Melinda, So. California

 
 
 

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by Ray Wo » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I've coached in leagues where the girls pitched until there were 4 balls,
and I've coached in leagues where the coaches pitched entirely.

I much prefer the "coach pitch".  The game moves along much quicker,
there is a lot of hitting and even the outfielders get into the game.

I also doubt that 8 year olds learn much about pitching.  

 
 
 

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by Jeff LaCo » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>My daughters came from a Bobby Sox league where they had a division for 8
>& 9 year-old players that played a modified fastpitch game.  

 We have a "Minors" program we're pretty proud of. The goals are:
 - catch the ball
 - throw the ball
 - hit the ball

 The program is "unstructured" (not scored). The girls aren't dummies
- they can see runs coming in - so they know when they're playing
well. But the pressure to win isn't there so they can learn and have
fun.

Quote:
>PITCHING:  The players pitch (windmill or slingshot).  The pitching
>distance was shortened from the older girls (you could use 33-35 feet).
>There are NO walks.  If the batter reaches a count of 4 balls, the
>offensive coach steps in to pitch to his own girl.  This is usually done

 We allow walks, but after the third walk in an inning, the offensive
coach comes out to pitch to get the game moving. The pitcher stands
next to him in the circle to play defense. When the coach pitches, the
girls either hit or strike out - no walks allowed.

Quote:
>underhand as the coach is trying to pitch a "lollipop" that his batter can
>hit.  The batter keeps the same count which she accumulated with the team
>pitcher--which also means that it's possible for her own coach to strike
>her out.  Her at bat is completed when she either strikes out or puts the
>ball in play.

>PLAYERS:  There are 10 players (4 outfielders).  This helps alleviate
>having the little girls cover so much area when a ball is put in play to
>the outfield.

>STEALING:  There is NO stealing of bases.  Otherwise, you can imagine how
>the ball would be thrown all around the field, most likely resulting in a
>run for the offense.

 Good.

 We also s***the Infield Fly rule - not too many balls make it out
of the infield at the beginning of the season, so toss the rule and
let the kids play.

Quote:
>STRIKE ZONE:  The strike zone may be enlarged to shoulders and knees.  Our
>league actually tried this one year then went back to the regular strike
>zone, so as to prepare the girls to have an eye for the correct strike
>zone when they move up a division.

 We don't change the strike zone - why teach the kids to swing at what
will become bad pitches when they move to the next division?

Quote:
>By allowing the girls to pitch, it helps develop pitchers earlier.

 Precisely. Doing it in a low-pressure setting makes it less
embarassing when the coach has to come out to pitch. It also helps
later when they're pitching in higher levels and have to be pulled
when having a bad day.

Quote:
>It is a really exciting division.  And it's really fun watching the girls
>play some "real" softball a that age.

 Yep. The little kids have a real good time.

 At the end of the season, we have a double-elimination tournament for
the little ones with scored games and everything else. The attendance
is unbelieveable - the parents really eat it up!

        Jeff

 
 
 

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by mzimmerma » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

We use the coach following 4 balls and a 6-run rule per inning.  In
addition to giving the pitchers confidence, it gives the beginning
players a chance to hit the ball.  They gain confidence by hitting off
the coaches, while they get experience running the bases.  Both prepare
them for the next level of play where walks are issued rather than a
coach stepping in.
 
 
 

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by Bill Gardn » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
> I've coached in leagues where the girls pitched until there were 4 balls,
> and I've coached in leagues where the coaches pitched entirely.

> I much prefer the "coach pitch".  The game moves along much quicker,
> there is a lot of hitting and even the outfielders get into the game.

> I also doubt that 8 year olds learn much about pitching.  

We found that as the girls move up to the 10 & under division there were'nt any
pitching skills.  We changed the rules for the 8 & under division that the 1St
half of the season the coaches pitched and worked with the players at practices
and the second half the girls pitched.
 
 
 

Coach Pitch - Suggestions for Coaches?

Post by Joe Nartowi » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> We found that as the girls move up to the 10 & under division there
were'nt any
> pitching skills.  We changed the rules for the 8 & under division that
the 1St
> half of the season the coaches pitched and worked with the players at
practices
> and the second half the girls pitched.

We made a move to 3 strike and _6_ balls at the start of the season (U10
girls) and sort of give our girls the impression that a walk is not a very
good thing. So, early on we have the girls swinging at anything close. We
get lots of action for everyone and few, if any, walk-a-thons. By
mid-season, we move it down to _4_ balls. This works for us. It gives a
coach a chance to have any player pitch to see who can really handle it
and then concentrate on those players the second half of the season.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Joe Nartowicz

Malvern, PA  19355
It seems that no matter how young I am, I seem to still get older.
                                                -- G. Gano