ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by Korbe » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00


A question for you pontificators, defenders of ethics and fair
practices and general softball loons;

Is it proper for the ASA to hand out free passes to the National
Tournament?

This was brought to my attention yesterday. I do not claim to be
the slightest bit informed on this topic but I will venture an
opinion.

The team I'm affliated with earned a berth buy winning a
National Qualifier, so we're in. I feel at this moment that our
sanctioning body (ASA) should not give freebies just to fill
their quota of teams for this tourny. This could be a standard
practice that I haven't been aware of in the past. If the ASA
wants more teams, the Qualifiers of the larger team populated
tournaments should get 4 berths instead of 1-2 berths. They
could also create a few more qualifing tournaments instead of at
large berths. Then we all can anticipate those results in
planning our schedules to qualify. If your team has earned it,
they can go. I just think it lends itself to the credibility of
ASA.

Someone out there is going to claim "sour grapes". Well if you
didn't qualify, wouldn't you want that freebie berth? I got news
for you, we didn't qualify the past 2 years and didn't deserve
to go to ASA Nationals. We went to another less prestigous
tourny where we belonged and placed 5th and 3rd. Thus having a
more positive result for our girls than being fodder for the
strong teams of ASA Nationals.

I'm sure there are a few teams out there that haven't qualified,
that are competative at this level and deserve to go talent
wise. Well those are the risks we all take in our planning.

Here is what I would like to see...If the ASA is going to give
out freebies, let us know at the meeting in January. "We are
giving 15 at large berths to teams we deem fit to participate in
our National Tournament" We as teams can then at least practice
or "Lobbyist skills" in trying to procure a freebie when we have
failed to qualify. If ASA doesn't address it, then don't give
out the free passes.

Well, Good luck to all the teams that are in, however you got
there...See you in Panama City

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by frontrow.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> A question for you pontificators, defenders of ethics and fair
> practices and general softball loons;

> Is it proper for the ASA to hand out free passes to the National
> Tournament?

> This was brought to my attention yesterday. I do not claim to be
> the slightest bit informed on this topic but I will venture an
> opinion.

> The team I'm affliated with earned a berth buy winning a
> National Qualifier, so we're in. I feel at this moment that our
> sanctioning body (ASA) should not give freebies just to fill
> their quota of teams for this tourny. This could be a standard
> practice that I haven't been aware of in the past. If the ASA
> wants more teams, the Qualifiers of the larger team populated
> tournaments should get 4 berths instead of 1-2 berths. They
> could also create a few more qualifing tournaments instead of at
> large berths. Then we all can anticipate those results in
> planning our schedules to qualify. If your team has earned it,
> they can go. I just think it lends itself to the credibility of
> ASA.

> Someone out there is going to claim "sour grapes". Well if you
> didn't qualify, wouldn't you want that freebie berth? I got news
> for you, we didn't qualify the past 2 years and didn't deserve
> to go to ASA Nationals. We went to another less prestigous
> tourny where we belonged and placed 5th and 3rd. Thus having a
> more positive result for our girls than being fodder for the
> strong teams of ASA Nationals.

> I'm sure there are a few teams out there that haven't qualified,
> that are competative at this level and deserve to go talent
> wise. Well those are the risks we all take in our planning.

> Here is what I would like to see...If the ASA is going to give
> out freebies, let us know at the meeting in January. "We are
> giving 15 at large berths to teams we deem fit to participate in
> our National Tournament" We as teams can then at least practice
> or "Lobbyist skills" in trying to procure a freebie when we have
> failed to qualify. If ASA doesn't address it, then don't give
> out the free passes.

> Well, Good luck to all the teams that are in, however you got
> there...See you in Panama City

What makes you think that an at-large is a freebie? It was played for
and won! And while we are on the subject, how come we have played every
Nationals in our age group east of the Rockies? Twice in Oklahoma, once
in Florida, once in Georgia. How is the site selected and why aren't
more in the west? Think this isn't all about money, who has it and who
doesn't? Think again.

Quote:
> -----------------------------------------------------------

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by Korbe » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My apologies if I have confused "at large" with the free passes
ASA are now handing out..."at large" in ASA softball obviously
must be some tournament I don't know about our I have no idea
what your point is...Congratulations on your success in the
past...Did you win tournaments to get there or did ASA give you
a berth because they had extra space?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by softballfa » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Looks like the only difference between ASA and AFA is the middle letter, next
year maybe many of the teams from CA that went out of state to qualify will
think twice.  But, it would have been good to know how many berths are going to
be given before the fact not after.


Quote:

>My apologies if I have confused "at large" with the free passes
>ASA are now handing out..."at large" in ASA softball obviously
>must be some tournament I don't know about our I have no idea
>what your point is...Congratulations on your success in the
>past...Did you win tournaments to get there or did ASA give you
>a berth because they had extra space?

>-----------------------------------------------------------

>Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
>Up to 100 minutes free!
>http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by Korbe » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Margie,

The "free passes" I refer to are the National Tournament berths
the ASA are handing out this week. The teams recieving them have
not qualified in tournament play but have come close to
qualifing. Apparently, ASA is trying to round out their
tournament field by giving these "free passes" to teams they
feel have almost earned them...Mo Money could be an issue, entry
fees, etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by Andy Anderso » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

One cannot know until after all the qualifiers are completed and the
berths awarded. Then a team or area or Region would have to decline a
berth before a berth becomes available. For example, even though there
are 10&U teams all over the Nation, a lot of them did not want to travel
to Stockton to compete so they had quite a few berths left. I also
understand that the dates of Nationals falls within the time some areas
are starting school so teams decline. It is very different then AFA
where they have many more chances to qualify and take two or three or
more teams from each of those qualifiers. teams know in advance that
they have a chance.
Quote:

> Looks like the only difference between ASA and AFA is the middle letter, next
> year maybe many of the teams from CA that went out of state to qualify will
> think twice.  But, it would have been good to know how many berths are going to
> be given before the fact not after.


> >My apologies if I have confused "at large" with the free passes
> >ASA are now handing out..."at large" in ASA softball obviously
> >must be some tournament I don't know about our I have no idea
> >what your point is...Congratulations on your success in the
> >past...Did you win tournaments to get there or did ASA give you
> >a berth because they had extra space?

> >-----------------------------------------------------------

> >Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> >Up to 100 minutes free!
> >http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by softball35 » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

that would be a little difficult considering there are only a
few in state qualifiers.  Maybe they should have more
qualifiers, afterall, aren't teams supposed to qualify to go to
Nationals???????

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by softball35 » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I wasn't putting any teams down for getting a berth to
Nationals.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  A simple question
of how it is done it what was asked.  Maybe it is because I am
not telling you the team that I represent?????

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by SBFA » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This year because state was scheduled for so late in the season many teams
decided to go out of state to get it out of the way.  California teams do not
take berths away from out of state teams by doing so.  Each state has it's own
state qualifier which is not open to out of state teams.  I think what has
people questioning these free berths is that the so. cal state has for at least
the last couple of years given only 2 berths. To the top 2 teams of that
tournament. If ASA planned to give away an extra berth and had announced it
early on doing so could have presumably saved one of those teams alot of time
and money.  Let's put it this way, last year in 14U, the winner of the state
tournament was Tuff E Nuff, who ultimately won nationals, not to put down any of
the teams at state this year but can anyone truthfully say that any team left to
compete at state this year in 14U came close to the same playing level of Tuff E
Nuff last year?  I don't think so.


says...

Quote:

>We should be happy that some of the deserving California teams are getting this
>opportuinty to compete in Nationals. If getting a "berth" is so contraversal to
>many of you, my question is: Why are California teams going out of state to
>qualify and taking the qualifing berths away from that states home teams. Maybe
>it should be changed that you can only qualify in your state. So instead of
>questioning how, why and when, you should congratulate all the teams and hope
>your team does well. I am sure the competetion of the teams will speak for
>itself.

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by FstPtchm » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Old surfer noted that he didn't understand the difference between "at large"
and "free passes (whatever that is).  Would also appreciate explanation.

Thanks,

Margie

My apologies if I have confused "at large" with the free passes

Quote:
>ASA are now handing out..."at large" in ASA softball obviously
>must be some tournament I don't know about our I have no idea
>what your point is...Congratulations on your success in the
>past...Did you win tournaments to get there or did ASA give you
>a berth because they had extra space?

>-----------------------------------------------------------

>Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
>Up to 100 minutes free!
>http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by STING40 » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Margie,

Last year the discussion was for more berths for SoCal which you as I remember
seemed to support.  Congrats to the Punishers for getting one this year and I
say be happy for the SoCal teams that got the "at large" and "third place at
State" ones.  I don't think we should worry about them embarassing themselves
or "our" region at the Nationals.  In fact, them doing well is empirical proof
we need more berths here in SoCal year in and year out!  I don't think the
players that get a chance to go because of this quirk contaminate the
competitive process that goes on at a  National Tournament anymore than the
pick-up player system which allows more players to experience the experience as
long as the draw is fair at the tournament..

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by GJWPB » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

We should be happy that some of the deserving California teams are getting this
opportuinty to compete in Nationals. If getting a "berth" is so contraversal to
many of you, my question is: Why are California teams going out of state to
qualify and taking the qualifing berths away from that states home teams. Maybe
it should be changed that you can only qualify in your state. So instead of
questioning how, why and when, you should congratulate all the teams and hope
your team does well. I am sure the competetion of the teams will speak for
itself.
 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by GJWPB » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yes and the teams that are going to Nationals are qualified  in ASA opinion. So
again I must stress that we should be happy for the teams that worked hard to
get there. Lucky for some of them that a "berth" was available to these teams.

Maybe the answer is more berths in California, but instead of putting teams
down for having this opportunity, you should suggest the more berths to ASA.

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by FstPtchm » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Sting,

You're correct that I have supported giving more berths.  I'm not against as
many teams as possible going to Nationals and I congratulate all teams that are
going.  I just don't understand the process of granting berths to Nationals.  I
would prefer that teams earn the spot and I'm not saying this because we
finally landed the coveted prize.  Even last year when we did not qualify for
ASA Nationals (we did go to Triple Crown) I still felt the same way.

I would prefer to see far more slots given to each state and region at the time
of qualifying rather than selecting teams to go in an arbitrary fashion.  I
have long wondered why berths are not in proportion to the number of registered
teams and/or players.  I wasn't asking about what "at large" meant in a
negative fashion, I just didn't understand the process.

I would certainly prefer, if teams are given "at large" berths, that they go to
teams that are at the top of the list in the state rather than inviting local
rec teams to the big dance as I have seen at past Nationals.

Here's to a wonderful time to all of the teams, coaches, players, and parents
who have worked so hard this past year to get to Nationals.  Panama City Beach,
Florida, here we come to play some competitive fastpitch softball.  Life is
good.

Margie (Fstptchmom)
14U So CA Punishers

In Response to Sting's Post:

Quote:
>Margie,

>Last year the discussion was for more berths for SoCal which you as I
>remember
>seemed to support.  Congrats to the Punishers for getting one this year and I
>say be happy for the SoCal teams that got the "at large" and "third place at
>State" ones.  I don't think we should worry about them embarassing themselves
>or "our" region at the Nationals.  In fact, them doing well is empirical
>proof
>we need more berths here in SoCal year in and year out!  I don't think the
>players that get a chance to go because of this quirk contaminate the
>competitive process that goes on at a  National Tournament anymore than the
>pick-up player system which allows more players to experience the experience
>as
>long as the draw is fair at the tournament..

 
 
 

ASA 14-U National Handout Berths

Post by PUGSY 21 » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Margie, I couldn't have said it better. Chuck