Perfect Game?

Perfect Game?

Post by Hiller » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00


I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out, No.2
hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman comes
in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.

Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?

It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's just
a foul ball.

But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at least
at the ball field Thursday night.

Vince
http://members.aol.com/HillerSB

P.S. thank you for the 1,126 hits on my web page in the last week.

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by John Durran » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00


..
:I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out, No.2
:hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman comes
:in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.
:
:Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
:perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?
:
:It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
:someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's just
:a foul ball.
:
:But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at least
:at the ball field Thursday night.
:
:Vince
:http://members.aol.com/HillerSB
:
:P.S. thank you for the 1,126 hits on my web page in the last week.
:
:
It is a perfect game.  A perfect game is defined as no runner reaching
base. Period.  End of sentence.

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by C.W. JOHNS » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00


says...

Quote:

>I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out, No.2
>hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman comes
>in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.

>Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
>perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?

>It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
>someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's just
>a foul ball.

>But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at least
>at the ball field Thursday night.

>Vince
>http://members.aol.com/HillerSB

>P.S. thank you for the 1,126 hits on my web page in the last week.

A perfect game is when no one reaches first base. If no one batter in this game
reached first base safely then it is a perfect game.

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Eric Mad » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out, No.2
> hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman comes
> in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.

> Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
> perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?

> It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
> someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's just
> a foul ball.

> But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at least
> at the ball field Thursday night.

I disagree. A perfect game in my book is one in which no batter reached
first base safely; that is, every batter is retired. I don't think "no
errors" is part of the definition of a perfect game.

Let me throw one back at you. Pitcher retires 27 batters in a row. Top of
the 10th, international tiebreaker is invoked. Does that break up the
"perfect game"?

--
Eric Maddy
Sports Information Director, Golden West College

(714) 895-8344

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Edward Kirn » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



>> I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out,
No.2
>> hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman
comes
>> in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.

>> Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
>> perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?

>> It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
>> someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's
just
>> a foul ball.

>> But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at
least
>> at the ball field Thursday night.

>I disagree. A perfect game in my book is one in which no batter
reached
>first base safely; that is, every batter is retired. I don't think "no
>errors" is part of the definition of a perfect game.

>Let me throw one back at you. Pitcher retires 27 batters in a row. Top
of
>the 10th, international tiebreaker is invoked. Does that break up the
>"perfect game"?

>--
>Eric Maddy
>Sports Information Director, Golden West College

>(714) 895-8344

1. The dropped foul ball prolonged the life of the
batter....BUT...since that batter did not reach base safely, it is not
an error..just a too bad chance...It's a perfect game!

2.  Much confusion about the stupid international tie breaker.  Another
thought which isn't in any scorers manual..if that runner scores..who
do you charge the run to?  Is it an earned run?  It isn't the pitchers
fault the runner reached base.
Ed Kirner
Immediate Past President
International Softball Congress

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Scott Tayl » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

: I posted this on rec.sport.softball earlier but I'm wondering what those on
: r.s.b. and r.s.o. think, so this is a repost of sorts.

: Scenario is this in our girls softball game, but it applies to baseball.
: Our pitcher retired the first 10 to face her when, in the top of the fourth
: and one out, a foul pop landed in our third baseman's glove. She dropped
: it.

: Our pitcher went on to retire that batter on a strikeout and then the next
: five before losing the perfect game in the sixth on a walk.

: However, the reporters covering the game stated that the perfect game was
: lost when our third baseman dropped the foul pop. What do you think?

: By the way, our pitcher had a no-hitter until the 14th when she gave up a
: triple and single and we lost 1-0 in the San Diego CIF semifinals.

: Vince
: http://members.aol.com/HillerSB

  I have always understood a "perfect" game to be one where no player
  reaches 1st base safely for whatever reason.  While an error could
  put somebody on, this one didn't.  Sounds like a rookie sports
  reporter to me.

  Too bad about the outcome.  13 innings of no-hit ball.  Ouch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Scott D. Taylor          "Luck is the residue of design."                

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Eric Mad » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> 2.  Much confusion about the stupid international tie breaker.  Another
> thought which isn't in any scorers manual..if that runner scores..who
> do you charge the run to?  Is it an earned run?  It isn't the pitchers
> fault the runner reached base.
> Ed Kirner
> Immediate Past President
> International Softball Congress

Oh, but it is in the ASA scorer's manual. The run is charged to "Team" and
is neither earned nor unearned, under ASA rules.
 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Jazzso » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Went to the game Vince is talking about last night and it was a true
softball game. The lighting was very bad, the ball used was a Debeer mush
ball that turned the color of the field by the 5th inning, and two of the
best pitchers in San Diego were on their games. There were 51 K's and the
game was won on a couple of hits not errors. It was fun watching two good
teams battle with something on the line.
Don

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by CO » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Everybody in this softball subscription needs to come out and watch the
Tampa Bay Firestix, the new professional Fastpitch softball team that
plays at USF's baseball field.  The opening game is going to take place on
June 3, at seven o'clock.
For more information call Sean or Dwight at 980-3278

 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Edward Kirn » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Oh, but it is in the ASA scorer's manual. The run is charged to "Team"
and
>is neither earned nor unearned, under ASA rules.

That's my point...It really screws up a stat sheet to charge a run to
TEAM and then to say it is neither earned nor unearned ....kind of like
saying..let's pretend it didn't happen.
Ed
 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Coac » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> I want to solicit your opinion of this. Top of the fourth, one out, No.2
> hitter in the lineup is up. She pops up foul and the third baseman comes
> in and blows the catch. Flat ass drops it.

> Next several batters are out. Is the perfect game in tact or is the
> perfect game lost due to the error in foul territory?

> It went into the book as a foul ball and an error on 3B. Any time
> someone's at-bat is extended, you must charge an error, even if it's just
> a foul ball.

> But is a perfect game lost because of it? The consensus is yes...at least
> at the ball field Thursday night.

> Vince
> http://members.aol.com/HillerSB

> P.S. thank you for the 1,126 hits on my web page in the last week.

No batter reached first base safely. Perfect game!!!!!!!!
 
 
 

Perfect Game?

Post by Albert Ya » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I posted this on rec.sport.softball earlier but I'm wondering what those on
: r.s.b. and r.s.o. think, so this is a repost of sorts.
:
: Scenario is this in our girls softball game, but it applies to baseball.
: Our pitcher retired the first 10 to face her when, in the top of the fourth
: and one out, a foul pop landed in our third baseman's glove. She dropped
: it.
:
: Our pitcher went on to retire that batter on a strikeout and then the next
: five before losing the perfect game in the sixth on a walk.
:
: However, the reporters covering the game stated that the perfect game was
: lost when our third baseman dropped the foul pop. What do you think?

Nope. As long as nobody gets on base, it's a perfect game.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Albert Yang                     | "Hit .240 a year or two and then we'll

http://dcn.davis.ca.us/~albert/ |  guy's the best player in the game for
                                |  what, the last seven or eight years?"
                                |     -- Greg Maddux
------------------------------------------------------------------------------