Quick Rule Question

Quick Rule Question

Post by Elan Freydes » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 13:35:39


Under the 94-95 USFA rules, when fencing 15 touch direct elimination
bouts what are time divisions?  I believe its 3,1,3,1,2,warning
of 1 minute remaining, 1.  Not sure about these rules so please
confirm or correct me.  Thanks.

Elan Freydenson

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Mark C. Ort » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 03:12:28


Quote:
> Under the 94-95 USFA rules, when fencing 15 touch direct elimination
> bouts what are time divisions?  I believe its 3,1,3,1,2,warning
> of 1 minute remaining, 1.  Not sure about these rules so please
> confirm or correct me.  Thanks.

No, that's how it was last year.  One of the new FIE rules, which was
adopted by the USFA, eliminated the 1-minute warning.  So the timing
is 3,1,3,1,3, with an additional 1 minute of fencing if time expires
with the score tied.

--
      Mark C. Orton
      employed by (but not speaking for)
      Pulse Communications, Inc.

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by AMcBa » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 04:55:08


Quote:
Freydeson) writes:
>Under the 94-95 USFA rules, when fencing 15 touch direct elimination
>bouts what are time divisions?  I believe its 3,1,3,1,2,warning
>of 1 minute remaining, 1.  Not sure about these rules so please
>confirm or correct me.  Thanks.

3 minutes; 1 minute break (one person can coach); 3 minutes; 1 minute
break; 3 minutes

NO warning of time remaining, but the fencers may ask, at any break in the
bout (but they can't stop the bout for that purpose), how much time
remains.

If the score is tied at the end of the 3rd 3 minutes, the ref flips a coin
to determine priority. The bout continues for up to one additional minute
("sudden death", as it were). If the score is still tied at the end of
that additional minute, the fencer with priority wins, 15V-15D. If the
bout is decided by a single touch, the final score is 15V-14D. Double
touches in that final minute are not counted.

Hope this helps.

Ann McBain Ezzell
USFA Secretary


 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Morgan Bur » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 03:54:43


|> An interesting twist would be the following question:  "Fencer X asks for a
|> halt, and then asks for the amount of time remaining.  The referee does not
|> reveal the time remaining as per the rules.  Fencer Y immediately asks for
|> the amount of time remaining."  Since Fencer Y did not request a halt for
|> the purposes of determining the amount of time remaining, should the referee
|> reveal the time now?

Or fencer X want's to know the time remaining, so he requests a halt
to straighten his blade (or tie his shoes, or towel his face, or
adjust his body wire, etc.) and then asks for the time when he comes
back on guard.

-- Morgan Burke

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Kelly Ringwa » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 09:10:09

Quote:

>>Under the 94-95 USFA rules, when fencing 15 touch direct elimination
>>bouts what are time divisions?  I believe its 3,1,3,1,2,warning
>3 minutes; 1 minute break (one person can coach); 3 minutes; 1 minute
>break; 3 minutes
>NO warning of time remaining, but the fencers may ask, at any break in the
>bout (but they can't stop the bout for that purpose), how much time
>remains.

What is the penalty for stopping the bout to ask ?
Kelly
 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by David Saper » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 20:58:29

Quote:

>What is the penalty for stopping the bout to ask ?

If I'm wrong, I'll probably be stabbed through the heart with an epee, but I
believe that there is no penalty.  The referee simply directs the fencers to
come en garde.

An interesting twist would be the following question:  "Fencer X asks for a
halt, and then asks for the amount of time remaining.  The referee does not
reveal the time remaining as per the rules.  Fencer Y immediately asks for
the amount of time remaining."  Since Fencer Y did not request a halt for
the purposes of determining the amount of time remaining, should the referee
reveal the time now?
--

                                   |  74767,3010 (CompuServe)

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Dick Ki » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 02:20:33


Quote:
|> Freydeson) writes:

|>
|> >Under the 94-95 USFA rules, when fencing 15 touch direct elimination
|> >bouts what are time divisions?  I believe its 3,1,3,1,2,warning
|> >of 1 minute remaining, 1.  Not sure about these rules so please
|> >confirm or correct me.  Thanks.
|>
|> 3 minutes; 1 minute break (one person can coach); 3 minutes; 1 minute
|> break; 3 minutes
|>
|> NO warning of time remaining, but the fencers may ask, at any break in the
|> bout (but they can't stop the bout for that purpose), how much time
|> remains.

Just a nit, but it's my understanding that they cxan only ask during the third
and overtime periods.  Am i correct?

-dk

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Desiree Michele Fulfo » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 04:54:54


: An interesting twist would be the following question:  "Fencer X asks for a
: halt, and then asks for the amount of time remaining.  The referee does not
: reveal the time remaining as per the rules.  Fencer Y immediately asks for
: the amount of time remaining."  Since Fencer Y did not request a halt for
: the purposes of determining the amount of time remaining, should the referee
: reveal the time now?
: --

:                                    |  74767,3010 (CompuServe)

Don't the latest rules allow the fencers to ask for time, at any point?

 
 
 

Quick Rule Question

Post by Mark C. Ort » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 02:46:42


Quote:

> >NO warning of time remaining, but the fencers may ask, at any break in the
> >bout (but they can't stop the bout for that purpose), how much time
> >remains.
> What is the penalty for stopping the bout to ask ?
> Kelly

Yellow card, for improperly causing an interruption in the bout.

Of course, the resourceful fencer will find some other excuse, like
testing the weapon or straightening the blade, and when he's finished
that, ask for time remaining.
--
      Mark C. Orton
      employed by (but not speaking for)
      Pulse Communications, Inc.