Differences between skill levels?

Differences between skill levels?

Post by Ice » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00


When you play against a complete beginner and are one yourself, you'll
both employ different techniques to beat the opponent.

As you become a better player you'll use different techniques, plus
you'll have to work harder to overcome certain problems posed.

To use a soccer analogy, a beginner would use different moves
frequently without applying tactics - i.e. what move would work best
here.
As experience grows, the player can analyse and play accordingly with
better results.
A player playing against a pro, will have to keep the ball in close
proximity to them or run the risk of having it stolen.

For (American) football, it would be more along thse lines,
At the lowest skill levela you would have more time to pass in the
pocket, have an easier time running (against opposition from other
players at same skill level) , make sacks, INTs, and tackles easier.  

As you grew more experienced and began playing against more advanced
opponents, you would have less time to stay in the pocket, depending
on how good your offense line and their defensive line/backs are, have
to find holes and follow your blockers,
which again would depend on how good they (blockers and offensive
line) are, the runners would be smarter and harder to tackle, and you
would have to really watch out for pass interference.

I'm not as familiar with beach volleyball as I'd like to be, but for
this sport, what would be the differences between skill levels and how
would these manifest themselves?

Hopefully the examples above will give you some idea as to what I mean
& thoughts along the same lines can be applied to the sport for this
newsgroup! (In particular beach).

Look forward to comments,

Ice_.

 
 
 

Differences between skill levels?

Post by Mike Chin » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> When you play against a complete beginner and are one yourself, you'll
> both employ different techniques to beat the opponent.

> ...

> For (American) football, it would be more along thse lines,
> At the lowest skill levela you would have more time to pass in the
> pocket, have an easier time running (against opposition from other
> players at same skill level) , make sacks, INTs, and tackles easier.

> As you grew more experienced and began playing against more advanced
> opponents, you would have less time to stay in the pocket, depending
> on how good your offense line and their defensive line/backs are, have
> to find holes and follow your blockers,
> which again would depend on how good they (blockers and offensive
> line) are, the runners would be smarter and harder to tackle, and you
> would have to really watch out for pass interference.

> ...
> Hopefully the examples above will give you some idea as to what I mean
> & thoughts along the same lines can be applied to the sport for this
> newsgroup! (In particular beach).

> Look forward to comments,

> Ice_.

Well, to start with, in the elementary school matches I've seen, the
winner generally is the team that can get the ball over the net on the
serve!

In the next level above that, it is the team that can keep the ball in
play (while the other team is blasting the ball into the net or out
of bounds) that will win.

- mike
--
Kula Software
Honolulu, Hawaii
http://www.pixi.com/~kulasoft/volley.htm

.