Coaching high school players

Coaching high school players

Post by Charlie Mirac » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00


I have a friend who will be coaching our high school junior varsity boys'
volleyball team (mostly 9th & 10th graders) for the first time next year.
Our incoming 9th graders are fairly athletic, but have had very little, if
any, organized volleyball experience.  My friend has coached other sports
(track and something else) but never volleyball.  His personal volleyball
skills are ok, but he needs some support in teaching the game, drills,
etc.  He wants to bone up on his volleyball knowledge and coaching skills
over the summer. Can anyone suggest some good reading material?  How about
a good basic coaching camp?  

Thanks for your help - I have a vested interest in his learning curve as
he will be coaching my son in the fall!

Charlie Miracle

 
 
 

Coaching high school players

Post by Tom Fakehan » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I would start with a USA Volleyball Publication called "Coaches Guide to
Beginning Volleyball Programs".  You'll find a review of the publication
and ordering info at the above URL.
Tom/Malibu

 
 
 

Coaching high school players

Post by Michael David Ber » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

 [ in response to]:

Quote:
>>[snip]. Can anyone suggest some good reading material?  How about
>>a good basic coaching camp?  

>>Charlie Miracle

I agree with many of Ilene's suggestions (USAV and AVCA resources,
the book _Pass, Set, Crush_, IMPACT manual), let me just also add that
a CAP course would be very valuable for a new coach, though it may
offer a _ton_ of information and someone completely new to the sport
could suffer from some overload.  Volleyball Worldwide should have the
dates of the clinics left this summer, but here's a few I can remember:

Jun 20-22   I & II    Hampton, VA
Jul 11-13   I & II    Duluth, MN
Jul 18-20   I         Springfield, MA
Jul 25-27   I & II    Colorado Springs, CO
Aug 1-3     I & II    Lake Placid, NY
Aug 8-10    I & II    College Park, MD

These is the latest information that I've found, please note that there
may be some date changes (e.g., the courses in CO and NY).  For more
information about the CAP program, you should contact Linda Mossberg at
USAV volleyball (719)-637-8300.

Unfortunately, I think that Charlie's in Taiwan (or will you be back
in the States this summer, Charlie? :) and that may put a crimp in
these plans.

Ilene adds:

Quote:
>season, so much the better.  Another idea is for your son and his friends
>to play some outdoor (preferably sand) pick up games (2s, 3s, or 4s) this
>summer.  Older outdoor players are usually willing to help kids who want

Curious as to why you prefer sand for training.  I've heard all of the old
saws about it being better on your joints, improving quickness and jump, etc.,
but I think that playing on the grass is just as valuable.  Both provide
the randomness and high-frequency of contacts that seem so important in
motor skill learning.  Enough nitpicking.

Later

Michael

--
Michael Bertz
Georgia Institute of Technology


 
 
 

Coaching high school players

Post by Glithero, Jaso » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


>  [ in response to]:

> >>[snip]. Can anyone suggest some good reading material?  How about
> >>a good basic coaching camp?

> >>Charlie Miracle

> I agree with many of Ilene's suggestions (USAV and AVCA resources,
> the book _Pass, Set, Crush_, IMPACT manual), let me just also add that
> a CAP course would be very valuable for a new coach, though it may
> offer a _ton_ of information and someone completely new to the sport
> could suffer from some overload.  Volleyball Worldwide should have the
> dates of the clinics left this summer, but here's a few I can remember:

> Jun 20-22   I & II    Hampton, VA
> Jul 11-13   I & II    Duluth, MN
> Jul 18-20   I         Springfield, MA
> Jul 25-27   I & II    Colorado Springs, CO
> Aug 1-3     I & II    Lake Placid, NY
> Aug 8-10    I & II    College Park, MD

Pat Powers is hosting a clinic in Tempe, AZ on June 7th.  It is an
intense coach and high school clinic.

peace,

-Jason
--



http://www.doitnow.com/~reality

/* Print legal stuff about company and me. */
printf("My Opinions do not necessarily reflect my employers
Opinions");-)

 
 
 

Coaching high school players

Post by Wally Dyb » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a friend who will be coaching our high school junior varsity boys'
> volleyball team (mostly 9th & 10th graders) for the first time next year.
> Our incoming 9th graders are fairly athletic, but have had very little, if
> any, organized volleyball experience.  My friend has coached other sports
> (track and something else) but never volleyball.  His personal volleyball
> skills are ok, but he needs some support in teaching the game, drills,
> etc.  He wants to bone up on his volleyball knowledge and coaching skills
> over the summer. Can anyone suggest some good reading material?  How about
> a good basic coaching camp?

> Thanks for your help - I have a vested interest in his learning curve as
> he will be coaching my son in the fall!

One of the best volleyball certification clinics in this part of the
country is the York University Volleyball Seminars: Coaching
Certification Clinic.  I would take the Level I clinic.  Last year we
had a few coaches from the Michigan area and gave us very positive
reviews.  One of the features of our certification clinic is that we
have a number of top coaches/clinicians who have different coaching
styles.

The other thing you could do is couple this clinic with a great vacation
in Toronto!

Check out more information at the following URL

        http://www.yorku.ca/academics/wdyba/semcoach.htm

Wally Dyba