Observation from a Non-volleyballer on the game...

Observation from a Non-volleyballer on the game...

Post by drew Kalapa » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:16:02


Thought I'd mention a bit of a conversation I had this afternoon with
a couple of guys who are not fans of volleyball....

They said to me.... "Hey!!  We gave your sport a shot last night and
watched a bit of the Goodwill Games."  Now, they know of volleyball,
but do not follow the sport at all.  They know of the "old rules" and
basically how the game was played.  I didn't see any of the matches
because I was working.  At any rate they said, "Good, it sucked!!!".
So I pressed them as to why they said that.  My friend Jay said,
"This.... point on every flocking play... When did that ***start??!!
What the hell is all that about?... It just sucked big time.  There's
nothing to the game anymore".  I couldn't help but actually feel bad
and said, "Yeah... They ruined a perfectly good game, but that's just
how it is now.  I really don't watch it with the same interest I once
had.  I prefer now going to high school matches here in Texas where
they still play the game like I like it or playing on the weekends
with my friends."

Well.. there's two, at least, that haven't been won over by the rule
changes...

Drew

 
 
 

Observation from a Non-volleyballer on the game...

Post by RMF » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:12:46

hi drew

[..]

Quote:
> Well.. there's two, at least, that haven't been won over by the rule
> changes...

good thing there are more than two who don't give up -- DESPITE the rule
changes...

.bob
--
 /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /
  X        Against HTML
 / \     in e-mail & news

 
 
 

Observation from a Non-volleyballer on the game...

Post by Bub » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 12:32:16

What do you mean two?  I don't know anyone who likes the new rules.  The
same type conversation happened with me.  We were talking about rules
and integrity of the game....something like baseball's strike zone
started the conversation.  I chime in about volleyball's "marketing
ploy" rules change.  They kind of look at me glassy-eyed and ask "Well,
if people that love volleyball don't like the new game, why would anyone
else?"
1.  This was a change for marketing, right?  Like "New Coke"?  Where is
New Coke today?
2.  Has The sport dramatically increased it's fan base?  I'm guessing,
No! It's smaller and shrinking.
3.  What's next:?
         Don't call carries?- (Just slows up the game, no action)
         Front row specialist? -  (Big tall guy that can't pass)
         Team server?  Why make everyone serve?  It's tooooo hard.
         Nix rotation?  I just want to play right front!  Why make me
play back row?  I want to be one dimensional, like that back row
specialist idiot.  Besides, he is great at serving into the tape so it
drops over the net!  That makes for Great TV!
4.  Who were those bad fairies that destroyed my game.
5.  The new rules do not promote skills in new players = eventual demise
of sport.

Quote:

>Thought I'd mention a bit of a conversation I had this afternoon with
>a couple of guys who are not fans of volleyball....

>They said to me.... "Hey!!  We gave your sport a shot last night and
>watched a bit of the Goodwill Games."  Now, they know of volleyball,
>but do not follow the sport at all.  They know of the "old rules" and
>basically how the game was played.  I didn't see any of the matches
>because I was working.  At any rate they said, "Good, it sucked!!!".
>So I pressed them as to why they said that.  My friend Jay said,
>"This.... point on every flocking play... When did that ***start??!!
>What the hell is all that about?... It just sucked big time.  There's
>nothing to the game anymore".  I couldn't help but actually feel bad
>and said, "Yeah... They ruined a perfectly good game, but that's just
>how it is now.  I really don't watch it with the same interest I once
>had.  I prefer now going to high school matches here in Texas where
>they still play the game like I like it or playing on the weekends
>with my friends."

>Well.. there's two, at least, that haven't been won over by the rule
>changes...

>Drew


 
 
 

Observation from a Non-volleyballer on the game...

Post by Drew Kalapac » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 22:44:22

LOOK.... these guys weren't fans to start with....  they knew a little about
the way the game USE to be played and see no reason to start watching now.
This isn't a case of "giving up" on a sport...

And for me...  I'm not.....  I went to a high school game last night...  AND
IT WAS SOOOOOOO nice to see Sideout scoring again......

--
Drew Kalapach
MP3 downloads: http://ampcast.com/drewk
CD Sales: http://mp3.com/drewk
http://drewk.com

Quote:

>hi drew


>[..]
>> Well.. there's two, at least, that haven't been won over by the rule
>> changes...

>good thing there are more than two who don't give up -- DESPITE the rule
>changes...

>.bob
>--
> /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> \ /
>  X        Against HTML
> / \     in e-mail & news