The right to have a slalom course

The right to have a slalom course

Post by james wa » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00


I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski
lake.  Every course that has been put out has been cut up.  There are
only a few who do not ski on the lake and they do not want any motor
boats.  In my opinion they should have purchased on a lake that did not
allow motor boats since they purchased knowing that this was a ski lake.
I need to be able show that those of us who want the ski course have the
right to have one.  I own a course and had it in the lake being used by
a lot of the families.  I had to remove the course after a neighbor
threatened to cut it out.  We need help to maintain the ski lake that we
purcased.  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thanks.
 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Tom Ru » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
>private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski
>lake.  

Have you checked to see if there are any caveats on your
property allowing/forbidding courses?

Quote:
>Every course that has been put out has been cut up.  

Er... do you have law enforcement in your area? Up here,
wilful destruction of private property is a criminal
offense.

Quote:
>There are
>only a few who do not ski on the lake and they do not want any motor
>boats.  In my opinion they should have purchased on a lake that did not
>allow motor boats since they purchased knowing that this was a ski lake.

Probably, but they are there now.  Incidentally, I've seen
this attitude before.  And not just for courses.  Up here,
folks buy land next to a pig farm and then threaten the
farmer with lawsuits due to smells.  Why in God's name
someone moves next to a swinery and then complains...

Quote:
>I need to be able show that those of us who want the ski course have the
>right to have one.  I own a course and had it in the lake being used by
>a lot of the families.  I had to remove the course after a neighbor
>threatened to cut it out.  We need help to maintain the ski lake that we
>purcased.  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thanks.

Clearly your neighbour (and I use the term  loosely) has a
problem with lawful activity.  You might want to get the
rest (majority) of neighbours together and perhaps speak
with a lawyer to see what rights or options you have.  And
then arrange an informal (no lawyers) session with the folks
who don't want the course and see if there isn't an
alternative.  Maybe you can restrict your hours (like is
someone skiing outside their door at 6:00 am?)

Tom

 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Waterski.ne » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Jimbo,

Sorry to hear that your neighbor is giving your problems, I hope that you
guys find a solution. We enjoyed skiing on it at the reunion (Florida State
University Waterski Club).

Take it easy,

chuck

Quote:

> I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
> private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski
> lake.  Every course that has been put out has been cut up.  There are
> only a few who do not ski on the lake and they do not want any motor
> boats.  In my opinion they should have purchased on a lake that did not
> allow motor boats since they purchased knowing that this was a ski lake.
> I need to be able show that those of us who want the ski course have the
> right to have one.  I own a course and had it in the lake being used by
> a lot of the families.  I had to remove the course after a neighbor
> threatened to cut it out.  We need help to maintain the ski lake that we
> purcased.  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thanks.


 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Mark Kovalcso » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> >I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
> >private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski lake.

> Have you checked to see if there are any caveats on your
> property allowing/forbidding courses?

Around here all it takes is one land owner to keep a ski course from
going in. For that reason all of our courses are on public lakes. Of
course this means we have to share our courses with Wallies and PWC.

I have seen people moore up to a ski ball and break the PVC tube holding
the ball in place. I have seen idiots drive through the course and
flatten 2-3 balls at a pass and then leave when the course when it
starts to shift around. I'll say one good thing about PWC over other
recreational boats. At least they don't tear up the slalom course while
being idiots running over ski balls.

--
Mark Kovalcson
http://www.perfectpull.com
Waterski Training Equipment

 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Tom Ru » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

....

Quote:
>Around here all it takes is one land owner to keep a ski course from
>going in. For that reason all of our courses are on public lakes. Of
>course this means we have to share our courses with Wallies and PWC.

Wasn't the property in question a "ski lake" to begin with?
If so, surely there must be some guide or precedent to
support a course.

Quote:
>I have seen people moore up to a ski ball and break the PVC tube holding
>the ball in place. I have seen idiots drive through the course and
>flatten 2-3 balls at a pass and then leave when the course when it
>starts to shift around. I'll say one good thing about PWC over other
>recreational boats. At least they don't tear up the slalom course while
>being idiots running over ski balls.

Nah, they just wreck the water all day long.

Tom

 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by RJDSKI » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I would think the AWSA would have some possable steps for you to take. They
have been involved with these kinds of problems many times.
 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Ray Pulle » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00


says...

Quote:

>I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
>private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski
>lake.  Every course that has been put out has been cut up.  There are
>only a few who do not ski on the lake and they do not want any motor
>boats.  In my opinion they should have purchased on a lake that did not
>allow motor boats since they purchased knowing that this was a ski lake.
>I need to be able show that those of us who want the ski course have the
>right to have one.  I own a course and had it in the lake being used by
>a lot of the families.  I had to remove the course after a neighbor
>threatened to cut it out.  We need help to maintain the ski lake that we
>purcased.  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thanks.

Get a lawyer.

Ray

 
 
 

The right to have a slalom course

Post by Robert Willi » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

When you say it was a ski lake are you implying that it was man made or was
the designation just given to it because somebody decided it was to be so.
If it was privately developed as a "ski lake" then you may have a course of
action. If it was a public lake and has always been that way then they may
also have to right to attempt a ban.

Intentional destruction of private property should be protected, however
said property appears to be on a public lake..... It will be interesting to
see how this is worked out.

--
Regards
Robert Willis



Quote:
> says...

> >I need information on my right to have a slalom course.  I live on a
> >private lake.  My home was purchased 40 years ago because this was a ski
> >lake.  Every course that has been put out has been cut up.  There are
> >only a few who do not ski on the lake and they do not want any motor
> >boats.  In my opinion they should have purchased on a lake that did not
> >allow motor boats since they purchased knowing that this was a ski lake.
> >I need to be able show that those of us who want the ski course have the
> >right to have one.  I own a course and had it in the lake being used by
> >a lot of the families.  I had to remove the course after a neighbor
> >threatened to cut it out.  We need help to maintain the ski lake that we
> >purcased.  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thanks.

> Get a lawyer.

> Ray