Abbotsford tour stop

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Paul Jage » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00


What would like to hear about...

The slalom final was won by Andy before he actually skied.  This is the only
way to explain it. In a way he seems to practically own the starting dock,
showing up on it early to start his rituals of fiddling and dipping his
handle and his gloves, talking with the officials.  With the exception of
Wade, the other guys stay more in the background,  tension building in their
subconcious - what if I knocked him off today?

Heat #1: So Chris Parrish, strong and smooth with all kinds of reach, skied


Heat #2: Behind the second (white Sammy Duvall) boat, Mapple opens looking a

Rodgers in the hole have the capability to do 4.5 right?  The tension of the
opportunity grips both, the chance to dispose of the greatest.  Jamie B was
skiing very well to qualify for the finals.  I was very impressed since he
doesn't have the reach advantages of say Chris Parrish, but he does ski on
the Fogmans.  Anyway, his 38 pass looked pretty good until perhaps a lack of
all out aggression midway. He ended very late in a go for broke cut then
falling around 6.  Jeff Rodgers goes out, crowd is pumped, Andy's goin' down
this time and he skis 4 at 39.5 to tie!  Well not enough Andy survives and
is in the head to head.

Well Chris Parrish happy to be in the head to head and skiing great, pumps
the crowd up for the Noon time duel by waving his arms.  Didn't look silly
or anything but I wonder if it cost him some focus.  Andy gets to ski behind
the Red Pro Star Tour Edition boat, which pulled Chris' run into 41.

In the head to head, Chris skis first.  He's looking good.  Andy looks much
better this time around, and seems to be skiing with even greater
concentration.  He body slams around an on-side turn at 38 and the crowd
gasps at the sight, he bounces up to ski two more and out the gates.

Now the 39.5 run.  Chris gets a great one ball, but around two, he jams up a
little, it's his first real mistake of the day.  He recovers, but is not in
ideal position for the cut to #3 still he powers to #4 and in a perfect
world his ski might have stayed in.  As it was, the force of the turn at #4
was too much and the ski pops out and he's down.

Andy, who had trouble on his last 39.5, is blessed with the red Pro Tour
boat and skis his best run of the day.  Aggressive out of one, driving off
the back of the ski on his off-side with his hips generating impossible
angle.  Almost slamming the ski into an on-side preturn, with his patented
"I'm going to blow the field away turn at #2", Andy skis to #5 and raises
his arms in victory.

Crowd goes nuts.  Man he's done it again!

Quote:

>was anyone lucky enought to go...??  any good stuff, highlights?

>--
>Come to my Wakeboard, Mountain Bike, South Park, Break dancing page at
>http://members.tripod.com/wakekidder

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by cablegu » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

was anyone lucky enought to go...??  any good stuff, highlights?

--
Come to my Wakeboard, Mountain Bike, South Park, Break dancing page at
http://members.tripod.com/wakekidder

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by cablegu » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

actually i am interested in the wakeboard side of things

Quote:

> What would like to hear about...

> The slalom final was won by Andy before he actually skied.  This is the only
> way to explain it. In a way he seems to practically own the starting dock,
> showing up on it early to start his rituals of fiddling and dipping his
> handle and his gloves, talking with the officials.  With the exception of
> Wade, the other guys stay more in the background,  tension building in their
> subconcious - what if I knocked him off today?

> Heat #1: So Chris Parrish, strong and smooth with all kinds of reach, skied


> Heat #2: Behind the second (white Sammy Duvall) boat, Mapple opens looking a

> Rodgers in the hole have the capability to do 4.5 right?  The tension of the
> opportunity grips both, the chance to dispose of the greatest.  Jamie B was
> skiing very well to qualify for the finals.  I was very impressed since he
> doesn't have the reach advantages of say Chris Parrish, but he does ski on
> the Fogmans.  Anyway, his 38 pass looked pretty good until perhaps a lack of
> all out aggression midway. He ended very late in a go for broke cut then
> falling around 6.  Jeff Rodgers goes out, crowd is pumped, Andy's goin' down
> this time and he skis 4 at 39.5 to tie!  Well not enough Andy survives and
> is in the head to head.

> Well Chris Parrish happy to be in the head to head and skiing great, pumps
> the crowd up for the Noon time duel by waving his arms.  Didn't look silly
> or anything but I wonder if it cost him some focus.  Andy gets to ski behind
> the Red Pro Star Tour Edition boat, which pulled Chris' run into 41.

> In the head to head, Chris skis first.  He's looking good.  Andy looks much
> better this time around, and seems to be skiing with even greater
> concentration.  He body slams around an on-side turn at 38 and the crowd
> gasps at the sight, he bounces up to ski two more and out the gates.

> Now the 39.5 run.  Chris gets a great one ball, but around two, he jams up a
> little, it's his first real mistake of the day.  He recovers, but is not in
> ideal position for the cut to #3 still he powers to #4 and in a perfect
> world his ski might have stayed in.  As it was, the force of the turn at #4
> was too much and the ski pops out and he's down.

> Andy, who had trouble on his last 39.5, is blessed with the red Pro Tour
> boat and skis his best run of the day.  Aggressive out of one, driving off
> the back of the ski on his off-side with his hips generating impossible
> angle.  Almost slamming the ski into an on-side preturn, with his patented
> "I'm going to blow the field away turn at #2", Andy skis to #5 and raises
> his arms in victory.

> Crowd goes nuts.  Man he's done it again!


> >was anyone lucky enought to go...??  any good stuff, highlights?

> >--
> >Come to my Wakeboard, Mountain Bike, South Park, Break dancing page at
> >http://members.tripod.com/wakekidder

--
Come to my Wakeboard, Mountain Bike, South Park, Break dancing page at
http://members.tripod.com/wakekidder

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Mark Kovalcso » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> The slalom final was won by Andy before he actually skied.

<snip interesting editorial>

So do you write articles for anyone?  That was interesting reading.

I'm curious you mentioned various skiers being blessed when using the MC
ProStar. I've heard that as much as beginning and intermediate skiers
have complained about the 22 and 28 off wakes especially at slower
speeds, that the ultra short line lengths behind that boat are
excellent. I've had a number of people tell me that at 35 off and
shorter that it has an even better wake than the SN and that MC has
narrowly missed having a number of world records hold due to technical
issues.

--

Mark Kovalcson
http://www.perfectpull.com
Waterski Training Equipment

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Paul Jage » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Wakeboard finals:

A hoarde of beings 5'8" or less, outfitted in tatoos, earrings and dyed hair
infiltrates the spectator area.  Wakeboarding is on tap, it's here man and
the cameras are rolling.

Then a fat guy 5'6" with tatoos, earrings and dyed hair sinks the end of the
starting dock with his entourage. He's got a wireless mic, a smooth voice
and knows all the moves.  Probably couldn't do one of them, but that's OK
he's a REAL rapper....

1st Rider, 1st pass...
Cut, invert, PLOP...Cut, invert, PLOP...Cut, invert, PLOP...screw up the
double up
2nd Pass
Cut, invert, PLOP...Cut, raley, PLOP...Cut, invert, PLOP.......Back to dock.

Just Kiddin!!....

I only saw some of the Men's Semis on Saturday and the Women's final.  The
Mens final was too late in the day, and I was on my way out.

The womens final was actually pretty good.  Yeah there weren't the big
moves, but there was drama.  All of the women are pretty close, a fall and
you're score is so low you might as well be out.  So Tara Hamilton's run is
not doubt the most technical.  And how she uses the board, she is clearly
the most praticed if not talented. But she falls at the end of her first
pass, a bad landing.  Coming back she does a 360 and plows it into the wake.
Down again!  That's a shame.

Darin Shapiro should not wear long shorts.  Kovak, who looks like a giant on
the water is about no more than 6 feet.  Nice to see Jeremy Kovak back, he's
up there as one of Canada's greatests athletes. You can checkout more
stories on www.prowaterskitour.com

Wakeboarding Finals
(16) Jeremy Kovak 88.67
(9) Parks Bonifay 82.68
(8) Shawn Watson 81.67
(2) Shaun Murray 80.69
(3) Darin Shapiro 79.03
(7) Rob Struharik 78.02
(1) Brannan Johnson 78.00
(19) Freddy Krueger 67.35
(4) Zane Schwenk 62.03
(12) Brett Eisenhauer 54.05
(15) Justin Evans 53.70
(14) Kyle Wells 51.37

Womens Wakeboarding Finals
(2) Emily Copeland 64.34
(3) Maeghan Major 62.01
(5) Marie Botved 59.35
(6) Christy Smith 57.01
(9) Leslie Kent 52.69
(1) Tara Hamilton 49.01

Sea-Doo Boarder-Cross
Team USA (Parks Bonifay 1:08:00 & Shaun Murray :46:10) defeated Team Canada
(Chad Sharpe 1:07:12 & Jeff Heer :48:30). Total Time: Bonifay/Murray 1:54:10
were faster than Sharp/Heer 1:55:42

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Paul Jage » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm curious you mentioned various skiers being blessed when using the MC
>ProStar. I've heard that as much as beginning and intermediate skiers
>have complained about the 22 and 28 off wakes especially at slower
>speeds, that the ultra short line lengths behind that boat are
>excellent. I've had a number of people tell me that at 35 off and
>shorter that it has an even better wake than the SN and that MC has
>narrowly missed having a number of world records hold due to technical
>issues.

It was in reference to:  one Red Pro tour driven by Ian Stapley?? and the
Sammy Duvall Edition driven by Gerry Whittaker, Kelowna, B.C.  Identical
boats, perfect pass, but the Pro Tour edition seemed to be pulling better
results.  It's probably just chance.

The wakes of the 97+ SN at anything past 28 are pretty damn good.  I would
expect MC to be very close.  The MC is a few hundred pounds heavier, which
kinda bugs me.  Considering its size the SN is a very light boat.

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Tom Ru » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

...

Quote:
>The wakes of the 97+ SN at anything past 28 are pretty damn good.  I would
>expect MC to be very close.  The MC is a few hundred pounds heavier, which
>kinda bugs me.  Considering its size the SN is a very light boat.

According to MC, the PS 190 is only 10 lbs heavier than the
SN.  Malibu's Response is 2450 - about 100 lbs more.

Tom

 
 
 

Abbotsford tour stop

Post by Mark Kovalcso » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> According to MC, the PS 190 is only 10 lbs heavier than the
> SN.  Malibu's Response is 2450 - about 100 lbs more.

I wonder when they changed that. When the 1998 first came out the specs
listed on the website were a few hundred pounds heavier. Of course they
could have been wrong.

--

Mark Kovalcson
http://www.perfectpull.com
Waterski Training Equipment