(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

Post by chia-tung ch » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Hello all,

Out of three sports in triathlon, running has been my best event;
however, after trying to bring up the other two sports up to the
same level as my running, it has sort of become the one I like the
least. One of the contributing factor is a funny knee condition
I have when I run.

It started about half a year ago. Usually runners
experience knee discomfort when they land, but mine is when I am
taking the stride. This only happens to my right leg: when it is
in the air to take the stride, flexing from back to the front, it
feels like someone inside the knee is rubbing on a funny bone on the
right side of the right knee. The precise location is just under
the right knee cap, on the outside edge of the knee joint.
It would start out to be some kind of slight annoying feelings, like
someone is tickling a nerve, then develop into an intolerable sharp and
short burst of sensation on the nerve inside in about 10 minutes.
The feeling is so intensive that it makes my heart "skip" everytime
I am in the air taking the next stride. I would not categorize it
as pain because it goes away right immediately if I don't aggravate it.
But it is very uncomfortable.

When I land, however, it is no problem, nice and firm, but when my
right leg is in the air, it rubs on some nerve and really bugs me.
The condition is not consistent; some days if I ignore it, it goes
away and I will only feel it if I walk down the stairs after the run,
but the annoyance is tolerable. Some days it decides to stay, and
progressively gets worse as I run. After a while, it is so annoying
that I cannot keep running because whenever I am in the air flexing
my knee, the sensation of rubbing on the "funny bone" is so great
that I literally "jump" in the air, affecting my concentration
on taking the next stride. This is particular upsetting when I am
running really well: no muscle fatiquing, no breathing problem, every
thing is just fine, and I am forced to stop to walk the rest of the
way because of this intolerable annoyance.

Has anyone had experienced this symptom? I went to see my school's
doctor, and he said : "oh, you have runner's knee. Just rest."
Well, that does not really tell/help me anything; we all know we
need to rest if we are tired, but how about when we are not tired
and what is stopping us is not mental or physical fatique? Thank you
for any advice!!

Chia :-)

--
This is my signature file.

ps. boring, eh?

 
 
 

(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

Post by Jeffrey ONei » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

What you have sounds like ITB (Ilio-Tibular Band Syndrome).
Basically there is this band that is rubbing against a bone on the outside
of your knee which gets inflamed and causes pain.  It can be a very
difficult injury to get rid of, I'm currently battling my second
case of it in two years.  

I think the most important treatment is stretching.  My favorite stretch is
as follows.  To stretch your right knee, stand with your right side
facing a wall.  Cross your left foot in front of your right.  Lean your
body towards the wall stretching your right hip and the outside of your
right knee.  I stretch every morning and evening and also before and after
every bike and run.

I also the ice the knee after running.  Some people recommend alternating ice
and heat, though I don't know how to heat the knee. (Hair dryer?!?  :-)

I am at the point where it never hurts while I run (though I don't push it)
but it sometimes hurts later that night.

If you can, try to find a more useful doctor, they are hard to find
but they are out there.

Jeff O'Neill

 
 
 

(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

Post by chia-tung ch » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>What you have sounds like ITB (Ilio-Tibular Band Syndrome).
>Basically there is this band that is rubbing against a bone on the outside
>of your knee which gets inflamed and causes pain.  It can be a very
>difficult injury to get rid of, I'm currently battling my second
>case of it in two years.  

Hello,

I suspected it was ITB, but I thought the runner experiences
discomfort when landing. Since I did not have any symptoms
during landing, I wasn't sure it was ITB Syndrome. That is
why I posted for confirmation. I did try to do the ITB exercise,
but I guess I did not do enough of it. Thank you for your
opinion.

Chia :-)
--
This is my signature file.

ps. boring, eh?

 
 
 

(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

Post by Bruce Ackma » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> Hello all,

> Out of three sports in triathlon, running has been my best event;
> however, after trying to bring up the other two sports up to the
> same level as my running, it has sort of become the one I like the
> least. One of the contributing factor is a funny knee condition
> I have when I run.

                      snip.......snip.........

Quote:
> Chia :-)


I am no expert but it sounds as though you have aggravated a nerve
on the lateral side of the right knee.  Although the main nerve
trunk runs posteriorly, you may have some local nerve endings on
the lateral facet of your lateral condyle.  I suggest you try a
brace (Cho-Pat) that medializes your patella and see if this helps
reduce the irritation.  

If your cycling shoes are on a tilt or your seat is too
far back, you may be aggravating your ACL.

Hope this helps.  Good luck

Bruce Ackman

 
 
 

(another) "Funny" (??) Knee Condition ...

Post by Bruce Ackma » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> Hello all,

> Out of three sports in triathlon, running has been my best event;
> however, after trying to bring up the other two sports up to the
> same level as my running, it has sort of become the one I like the
> least. One of the contributing factor is a funny knee condition
> I have when I run.

                      snip.......snip.........

Quote:
> Chia :-)


I am no expert but it sounds as though you have aggravated a nerve
on the lateral side of the right knee.  Although the main nerve
trunk runs posteriorly, you may have some local nerve endings on
the lateral facet of your lateral condyle.  I suggest you try a
brace (Cho-Pat) that medializes your patella and see if this helps
reduce the irritation.  

If your cycling shoes are on a tilt or your seat is too
far back, you may be aggravating your ACL.

Hope this helps.  Good luck

Bruce Ackman