World Championship Events for 1998/1999

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by John & Karen Warre » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00


I posted this as a reply recently, but meant to change the header from
saying Re: Du Worlds, so here it is again with a better subject line.

I have just asked for and received the dates and venues for the 1998 and
1999 ITU World Championships.

This from Mike Gilmore of ITU:

We will announce the full schedule for 1998 and 1999 on 1 January. It will
be on the ITU web site.

1998
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Triathlon World's - Lausanne, SUI - 28/29 Aug
Duathlon World's - TBA
LD Triathlon World's - Sado Island, JPN - 6 Sep
LD Duathlon Powerman - Zofingen, SUI - 7 June

1999
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Triathlon World's - Immenstadt, GER - 3rd or 4th week Aug
Duathlon World's - TBA
LD Triathlon World's - Sater, SWE - 4 July
LD Duathlon Powerman - Zofingen, SUI - 6 June

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Warren

home pages: http://www.ts.co.nz/~warrenjk/
Nelson Tri Club: http://www.ts.co.nz/~warrenjk/nelsontriclub.htm

 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by Tim Gros » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

So still no word on the World Du then?
When I was at this year's version, Auckland in New Zealand seemed to be on
everyone's lips but I did hear then that it was unofficial - obviously that
bit was true!
I'm hoping for New Zealand anyway - will make for a good trip and I can
visit my coach Ken Maclaren who has just moved there from the UK.
E-mail is a great thing - he can still 'coach' me even though we are about
10,000 miles apart!
--
Tim Grose

Please remove xxx if replying



Quote:
> I posted this as a reply recently, but meant to change the header from
> saying Re: Du Worlds, so here it is again with a better subject line.

> I have just asked for and received the dates and venues for the 1998 and
> 1999 ITU World Championships.

> This from Mike Gilmore of ITU:

> We will announce the full schedule for 1998 and 1999 on 1 January. It
will
> be on the ITU web site.

> 1998
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Triathlon World's - Lausanne, SUI - 28/29 Aug
> Duathlon World's - TBA
> LD Triathlon World's - Sado Island, JPN - 6 Sep
> LD Duathlon Powerman - Zofingen, SUI - 7 June

> 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
> Triathlon World's - Immenstadt, GER - 3rd or 4th week Aug
> Duathlon World's - TBA
> LD Triathlon World's - Sater, SWE - 4 July
> LD Duathlon Powerman - Zofingen, SUI - 6 June

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> John Warren

> home pages: http://www.ts.co.nz/~warrenjk/
> Nelson Tri Club: http://www.ts.co.nz/~warrenjk/nelsontriclub.htm


 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by CaptainT » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>So still no word on the World Du then?
>When I was at this year's version, Auckland in New Zealand seemed to be on
>everyone's lips but I did hear then that it was unofficial - obviously that
>bit was true!
>I'm hoping for New Zealand anyway - will make for a good trip and I can
>visit my coach Ken Maclaren who has just moved there from the UK.

I think it was coming down to Auckland and Windsor, Canada.   Sorry Tim, I
gotta pray for Canada, I can't afford to go to New Zealand first year in
college.  I guess the bums (ITU that is) are announcing it Jan. 1.
Side Bar: Does it seem to anyone else that the ITU and also USAT do a fairly
lousy job promoting duathlons???  Nationals in Dallas was pretty low-key (which
is fine to a point) and there was virtually no coverage afterwards in
magazines.  This is compared to triathlon (which is higher-profile) that had a
couple pages in Triathlete and an article in the USAT magazine.  Is there a
USAT Duathlon Comittee?  If not, perhaps there should be.  On the ITU front I
have the same complaint, Du World's coverage and (to me at least, and probably
only me, but hey, free country) prestige seems to be pretty meek.  In my
opinion, ITU specifically and USAT need to do a much better job with duathlons.
 There should be much more growth potential in it (everyone can run and bike,
not everyone can swim) and, as a sport, it is as difficult as a triathlon.
Maybe as a start duathlon could secceed (spelling???) from the ITU and start
its own governing body?  Just a thought.
My $.02 anyway,
Paul Keen
Drafting Sucks.  Keep tri-ing!

 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by SteveBl » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Maybe as a start duathlon could secceed (spelling???) from the ITU and start
>its own governing body?  Just a thought.
>My $.02 anyway,

>Drafting Sucks.  Keep tri-ing!

This is a great idea!  Once the IDU is set up, triathlon could seceed (hell, I
can't spell it either) from the ITU as well and join in under the IDU banner.

There is a Biathlon NGB (USA Biathlon?), for ski-shoot multisporters in the
winter and run-shoot types in the summer.  This might solve two problems --
what to do about the ITU, and how to effectively enforce no draft rules.


Tellus Venture Associates

"Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win."  R.A.H.

 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by JimTurne » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Following is excerpt from a recent  message to me from a friend who spoke to
Tim Yount at USAT re location for 1998 Du World Championship.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Had another voice mail from Tim...

Seems like St. Wendel, Germany has taken on added  importance...!

New Zealand and Canada have withdrawn their proposed hosting of World Du in
;98.....

 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by katherine william » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> So still no word on the World Du athlon?
> When I was at this year's version, Auckland in New Zealand seemed to be on
> everyone's lips but I did hear then that it was unofficial - obviously that
> bit was true!
> I'm hoping for New Zealand anyway - will make for a good trip and I can

Not a chance, Tim. Auckland withdrew its bid, so there is still no decision.

Katherine Williams

 
 
 

World Championship Events for 1998/1999

Post by Tim Gros » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

As it seems New Zealand is out I'd more than settle for Canada - never been
before. Hope to see you there!

I don't know about the US as I'm from the UK but I agree that Du doesn't
get the coverage it deserves. Personally I think it's a much more
accessible sport than tri but I'm probably biased because my swimming is
relatively lousy.

In the UK there are virtually no duathlons in the summer which is a shame.
The nationals were in August but there was only one or two other races of
comparable quality in the whole of the rest of the summer.
--
Tim Grose

Please remove xxx if replying



Quote:

> >So still no word on the World Du then?
> >When I was at this year's version, Auckland in New Zealand seemed to be
on
> >everyone's lips but I did hear then that it was unofficial - obviously
that
> >bit was true!
> >I'm hoping for New Zealand anyway - will make for a good trip and I can
> >visit my coach Ken Maclaren who has just moved there from the UK.

> I think it was coming down to Auckland and Windsor, Canada.   Sorry Tim,
I
> gotta pray for Canada, I can't afford to go to New Zealand first year in
> college.  I guess the bums (ITU that is) are announcing it Jan. 1.
> Side Bar: Does it seem to anyone else that the ITU and also USAT do a
fairly
> lousy job promoting duathlons???  Nationals in Dallas was pretty low-key
(which
> is fine to a point) and there was virtually no coverage afterwards in
> magazines.  This is compared to triathlon (which is higher-profile) that
had a
> couple pages in Triathlete and an article in the USAT magazine.  Is there
a
> USAT Duathlon Comittee?  If not, perhaps there should be.  On the ITU
front I
> have the same complaint, Du World's coverage and (to me at least, and
probably
> only me, but hey, free country) prestige seems to be pretty meek.  In my
> opinion, ITU specifically and USAT need to do a much better job with
duathlons.
>  There should be much more growth potential in it (everyone can run and
bike,
> not everyone can swim) and, as a sport, it is as difficult as a
triathlon.
> Maybe as a start duathlon could secceed (spelling???) from the ITU and
start
> its own governing body?  Just a thought.
> My $.02 anyway,
> Paul Keen
> Drafting Sucks.  Keep tri-ing!