Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Brent » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Yea, a simple bi-line on Howely would suffice.  Its great what he's doing,
but that coverage should be dedicated to those of us who are truely
interested in triathlons.  think they spent 5 minutes during a hour
coverage of a race that takes 8 hours to complete. enough!  

I think it would be neat to ride up that will with the crowds pouring out
like that.  kind of gives you that tour de France flavor, and hell what
elese do you have to occupie your mind with over 6-7 hours riding a bike.
Tim

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Matt Pop » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Yea, a simple bi-line on Howely would suffice.  

                ^^ Freudian slip? I think the guy's gay, not bi. :)

Quote:
> Its great what he's doing,
> but that coverage should be dedicated to those of us who are truely
> interested in triathlons.  think they spent 5 minutes during a hour
> coverage of a race that takes 8 hours to complete. enough!

As great as I think this guy's story is, I must concur that they once
again went too far. I cringed when it sounded like they were going to
launch into a 10 minute special on Jim's sister, who he was staying with
in Germany (thankfully they spared us the agony). I got my fill of this
saga by watching the Escape from Alcatraz '97 tape over and over and
over.....   I bet my $.02 that he will get the same coverage at IMH '98.
Oh well....

Quote:
> I think it would be neat to ride up that will with the crowds pouring out
> like that.  kind of gives you that tour de France flavor,

But that narrow chute kinda forces you to draft. I'm also surprised
there were no accidents on the bike OR run with that frenzied crowd.

I'm not sure what was on that plate - it looked like fruit. I think that
was watermelon Zack was munching on.

P.S. I taped the Roth special. If anyone wants to swap for a copy of an
old IM Hawaii (or other triathlon viedeotape) let me know.

--
Regards,

Matt Pope


NOTE: If using the "reply to" feature , remove "NOSPAM" from my e-mail
address.

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Mike Tenne » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi All:

I caught Sunday's coverage of IM Roth..... while recovering from
Jekyll Island's O distance tri. <Maybe I'll post something on that
later. The run wasn't pretty but I learned something.>

Some random observations:

Now I can see how Simpson thought he could get away with it. Talk
about no control of a course. I couldn't believe the number of
non-participants that clogged the bike and run course. Two way traffic
on foot, bike, motorcycle - and camel, for all I know. 13 year-old
kids riding moutain bikes all around the leaders on the run. What a
zoo.

Does anyone know what was on the plate that was offered to them on the
run? It looked like pasta or sushi <g>. GU packages, maybe?

I had to chuckle when they actually claimed a "World Record" for the
Ironman. C'mon. All the IM courses are so different that there's
obviously no real comparison. 7:50 is awesome anywhere, but how does
the course compare with Hawaii? Canada? NZ?

I wonder if Jim Howley is getting a little embarrassed at being
triathlon's AIDS poster boy? It was a poignant story the first time it
was telecast. Ok the second time. Not so interesting the third.....

Back to work....

Mike "TriBop" Tennent
Remove "nospam." for email reply

WebRunner Running Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/running/running.html
My Model Railroad Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/srr/

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by W G » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Overall its just great to see any triathlon coverage...
I'd like a little more background about the competitors and some
history. I think it adds some perspective. The way ESPN did the
Zack-Hellreigel  attack on the lead was pretty well done. Flashy, but
cool...

On the Howley story, I agree. I couldn't believe it when I saw it again
for the third time. Enough... NBC side stories used for the ESPN
coverage was a waste of time. You don't see that stuff on ESPN's
coverage of the Monster Truck Pull National Championships.

Remember Lori Bowden's piece ( uh, I mean coverage) about training with
her mom for IMH last year?

It was totally cool in that they raced IMH together, but the director of
that story should've been shot by Lori's friends and family. How
embarrassing  for her that must have been. What was that swimming thing
they were making her do? Though, she does look great lying down on a
sofa with a trikini on...

I don't mean to sound like a callous snob, but can't we have a small
amount of good taste in this country - does everything always _have_ to
cater to lowest common denominator? ala MTV... Lightheartedness is
great, but that Lori Bowden peice was just plain goofy at times.

I haven't seen any of the older IMH's back when ABC used to cover the
race. Anyone think that they were as goofy as the ones recently from
NBC?

Wolfgang

Quote:

> Hi All:

> I caught Sunday's coverage of IM Roth..... while recovering from
> Jekyll Island's O distance tri. <Maybe I'll post something on that
> later. The run wasn't pretty but I learned something.>

> Some random observations:

> Now I can see how Simpson thought he could get away with it. Talk
> about no control of a course. I couldn't believe the number of
> non-participants that clogged the bike and run course. Two way traffic
> on foot, bike, motorcycle - and camel, for all I know. 13 year-old
> kids riding moutain bikes all around the leaders on the run. What a
> zoo.

> Does anyone know what was on the plate that was offered to them on the
> run? It looked like pasta or sushi <g>. GU packages, maybe?

> I had to chuckle when they actually claimed a "World Record" for the
> Ironman. C'mon. All the IM courses are so different that there's
> obviously no real comparison. 7:50 is awesome anywhere, but how does
> the course compare with Hawaii? Canada? NZ?

> I wonder if Jim Howley is getting a little embarrassed at being
> triathlon's AIDS poster boy? It was a poignant story the first time it
> was telecast. Ok the second time. Not so interesting the third.....

> Back to work....

> Mike "TriBop" Tennent
> Remove "nospam." for email reply

> WebRunner Running Page
> http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/running/running.html
> My Model Railroad Page
> http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/srr/

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Tony Wals » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> <stuff snipped>
> Some random observations:

> Now I can see how Simpson thought he could get away with it. Talk
> about no control of a course.
> I have to take exception to this series of statements.  In the first

place, from what I gather from other "Simpson" threads posted on r.s.t,
the Ironman Roth race wasn't the only place that Simpson "thought he
could get away with it" -- and some people have asserted that in point of
fact, he did "get away with it" at Gulf Coast and managed to qualify for
Ironman Hawaii in this manner at Gulf Coast.

Secondly, there was MORE control (at least in regards to competitors) on
this course than on ANY of the other Ironman courses I've done.  For
example, you had to have your radio transmitter wristband on, just to get
inside the transition area before the race started.  Furthermore, you had
to "register" by passing your wristband over a detector as you exited
the swim, got off the bike, and not once, not twice, but THREE different
times on the run.  Let me explain: the run at Roth is shaped like a "T",
with the start and finish being at the bottom of the "T" -- each
competitor had to register at both ends of the "T" as well as the start
and finish of the run -- so there was essentially no way to cheat on the
run course.  

From what I recall there were no overt checkpoints on the bike. However,
there were apparently secret videotaped checkpoints.  It's my
understanding that Mr. Simpson's absence from any of the footage taken at
these bike checkpoints played a large part in his eventual
disqualification.

Quote:
> I couldn't believe the number of
> non-participants that clogged the bike and run course.

The only place were the course was congested with spectators was where the
bike course entered Hilpoltstein  - this was the place where the bike
segment took on the "Tour de France" aspects.  It may have looked dicey
and dangerous from the TV footage, but in reality the crowd was
well-mannered (if boisterous) and made sure to stay out of the path of any
competitors.  Speaking for myself, I found this section of the race very
exciting, and quite different from any of the other Ironman races I have
participated in.  I wouldn't have traded it for anything, and in fact, I
wish other venues boasted such enthusiastic and interested spectators.  
Triathlon by its very nature isn't a spectator sport, but this is one
instance in which spectators can get intimately involved in the race!!!

Quote:
> Two way traffic
> on foot, bike, motorcycle - and camel, for all I know.

I never saw any camels on the course. ;-)

just my $.02,
tony walsh

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Sam Call » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>On the Howley story, I agree. I couldn't believe it when I saw it again
>for the third time. Enough... NBC side stories used for the ESPN
>coverage was a waste of time. You don't see that stuff on ESPN's
>coverage of the Monster Truck Pull National Championships.

>I haven't seen any of the older IMH's back when ABC used to cover the
>race. Anyone think that they were as goofy as the ones recently from
>NBC?

Doesn' t the company that runs the Ironman series produce the tape of the event?  I do not think
that ESPN or NBC have anything to do with it except air time and equipment.  The producers and such
are paid for by the triathlon group.
 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Steve Pa » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Some random comments on the coverage:

1) They DIDN'T make the Tour de France analogy when showing the bike hill
   climb with all the spectators. By the way it looked like at least SOME
   of the climb was blocked off with barricades, but not all.

2) Watching Luc sprinting (that's what it looked like to me, anyway) the
   last two miles was simply awesome.

3) No comment at all on drafting, although they repeatedly talked about
   people "working together" on the bike to catch up to the people ahead.
   Any non-triathlete watching this would surely think that they meant
   pacelining, especially as from the camera coverage it *appeared* that
   plenty of drafting WAS occuring. I emphasize "appeared" because with the
   foreshortening effect of cameras, it's impossible to say such a thing for
   sure based on TV.

4) The bit about Luc and his wetsuit was poorly done - they kind of gave us
   half the story and left the viewer wondering what the heck happened.

5) Mark is improving.

In general the coverage was pretty good, you really got a "feel" for the
course (at least I *felt* I did :-) ) and for the race as well. Yes, I would
have preferred seeing coverage of Tony Walsh instead of Jim Howley, but what
the hey. ;-)

Steve Patt
Stevens Creek Software/The Athlete's Bookstore
  http://www.stevenscreek.com

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Triwakef » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>Talk
>about no control of a course. I couldn't believe the number of
>non-participants that clogged the bike and run course. Two way traffic
>on foot, bike, motorcycle - and camel, for all I know. 13 year-old
>kids riding moutain bikes all around the leaders on the run. What a
>zoo.

   With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about!  I
have done this race 3 times (also, hawaii x3, canada x2, and new zealand +
over 100 other tris).  IM Europe is w/o a doubt the best run, best
organized, and overall best race in the world!
Quote:
>. while recovering from
>Jekyll Island's O distance tri.

    Jekyll Island is a great race too, but it is not anywhere near as
controlled or organixed as IM Europe.  I hope you get a chance to go
someday!   David
 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by SBRMJ » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I would agree that Mark Allen's commentary was improved.  He seemed more
relaxed and willing to provide some personal experiences. I would like to
see he and Dave put together in the way that tennis does with McEnroe and
Carillo or Stolle and Drysdale.  I can imagine the insights they could
bring to the final stages of the run!
Mark

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by SBRMJ » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

The ABC shows were never the "stand-alone" hour or two of programming that
NBC airs today.  Ironman was broadcast as part of the Wide World of Sports
programming.  The NBC/WTC productions have varied in quality as far as
"MTV" style values etc, but I felt the 96 race was well put together.  I
have all the races going back to 1987 on tape and I still think the best
job was done in that year and in 1989 when the Allen/ Scott duel provided
for a very solid show.
I hope our man at Equinox productions is lurking out there for this years
race coverage!!!
Mark

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Mike Tenne » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


>> <stuff snipped>
>> Some random observations:

>> Now I can see how Simpson thought he could get away with it. Talk
>> about no control of a course.
>> I have to take exception to this series of statements.  In the first
>place, from what I gather from other "Simpson" threads posted on r.s.t,
>the Ironman Roth race wasn't the only place that Simpson "thought he
>could get away with it" -- and some people have asserted that in point of
>fact, he did "get away with it" at Gulf Coast and managed to qualify for
>Ironman Hawaii in this manner at Gulf Coast.

>Secondly, there was MORE control (at least in regards to competitors) on
>this course than on ANY of the other Ironman courses I've done.  

Perhaps I wasn't clear on what I meant. I watched the broadcast with
an eye to seeing how he might have snuck off in the woods or something
like that. What I saw was a course that had lots of competitors
mingling on a loop course (on the bike) and competitors and spectators
mixed on the run course. This created an atmosphere where one might
assume one could slip off and on and not be noticed. As I said,
"Simpson <thought> he could get away with it."   The officials had it
covered. Great job.

The lack of control I referred to was on spectators. Especially on the
run. It looked pretty hectic. This is from viewing the tape. I wasn't
there, but it looked pretty darned confusing at times around the lead
runners.

<competitor security details snipped for brevity - security worked>

Quote:
>> I couldn't believe the number of
>> non-participants that clogged the bike and run course.

>The only place were the course was congested with spectators was where the
>bike course entered Hilpoltstein  - this was the place where the bike
>segment took on the "Tour de France" aspects.  It may have looked dicey
>and dangerous from the TV footage, but in reality the crowd was
>well-mannered (if boisterous) and made sure to stay out of the path of any
>competitors.  Speaking for myself, I found this section of the race very
>exciting, and quite different from any of the other Ironman races I have
>participated in.  I wouldn't have traded it for anything, and in fact, I
>wish other venues boasted such enthusiastic and interested spectators.  
>Triathlon by its very nature isn't a spectator sport, but this is one
>instance in which spectators can get intimately involved in the race!!!

I''ll concede this. Very European, very exciting. Can we get the IMC
people to do that next August?

Quote:
>> Two way traffic
>> on foot, bike, motorcycle - and camel, for all I know.

>I never saw any camels on the course. ;-)

Look at the tape again. Just after Helreigal is passed on the run,
over his left shoulder....

Quote:

>just my $.02,
>tony walsh

Mike "TriBop" Tennent
Remove "nospam." for email reply

WebRunner Running Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/running/running.html
My Model Railroad Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/srr/

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Mike Tenne » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>   With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about!  I
>have done this race 3 times (also, hawaii x3, canada x2, and new zealand +
>over 100 other tris).  IM Europe is w/o a doubt the best run, best
>organized, and overall best race in the world!

Well, with similar due respect, I only spoke of what I saw. I wasn't
there, but it looked pretty darned confusing on tape. I've raced lots
of tri's too, and I've watched lots on tv, but I've never seen
anything quite like that.

I'll concede the very European crowd behavior on the bike leg, but I
just found it extraordinary that there were so many spectators buzzing
around the lead runners and so many spectators idlely riding among
them.

I apologize if I appeared to be demeaning a great organization.

Mike "TriBop" Tennent
Remove "nospam." for email reply

WebRunner Running Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/running/running.html
My Model Railroad Page
http://www.webrunner.com/webrun/srr/

 
 
 

Ironman Roth Coverage - Some observations

Post by Iron jo » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>  Any non-triathlete watching this would surely think that they meant
>   pacelining, especially as from the camera coverage it *appeared* that
>   plenty of drafting WAS occuring. I emphasize "appeared" because with the
>   foreshortening effect of cameras, it's impossible to say such a thing for
>   sure based on TV.

There was definately drafting.  My wife and friends spectating counted
packs of up to 30 riders together, often three wide. The same riders were
seen  together at many points on the course.  These were guys with times of
bike times sub 5 hours, not just "slower" age groupers.  Very few recieved
draft penalties.  

IronJoe3
Who does not draft!
IMRoth97 9:14