New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by Bria » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Being the total watch junkie that I am... I always make a point to stop by
the Timex counter whenever my wife drags me shopping..... tonight on a trip
into one of my favorite stores (Target) I was checking out the new Timex IM
watches when I saw a really cool clear box with what appeared to be an HRM
inside. Lo and behold, it was the new 'Timex Ironman Fitness System'.  A
fully functional, Indiglo IM watch with a HRM strap included (wireless).
I have been looking into getting a HRM lately, the price seems very right
($75.00), AND the watch looks way cool by itself.... the only drawback is
all the splashy writing on the front of the transmitter....

Anyone have one of these things??  Are they for real, or just a toy HRM??
Should I buck up and by a Polar or the new Freestyle one??

As always, thanks in advance !

Brian Drake
C***te, NC

 
 
 

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by DeepSouth20 » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I just bought the new freestyle ecg 5..
Wow! Its great. I have had Polar's in the past and they seem to have always
givern me problems in one way or another.. The Freestyle hrm seems well made,
user changable batteries, and very attractive.

Danny
Danny Johnson
Coastal AL


"If I was the shark, I'd be scared too."

 
 
 

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by Tricia Richt » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:49:35 -0400, "Brian"

Quote:

>Being the total watch junkie that I am... I always make a point to stop by
>the Timex counter whenever my wife drags me shopping..... tonight on a trip
>into one of my favorite stores (Target) I was checking out the new Timex IM
>watches when I saw a really cool clear box with what appeared to be an HRM
>inside. Lo and behold, it was the new 'Timex Ironman Fitness System'.  A
>fully functional, Indiglo IM watch with a HRM strap included (wireless).
>I have been looking into getting a HRM lately, the price seems very right
>($75.00), AND the watch looks way cool by itself.... the only drawback is
>all the splashy writing on the front of the transmitter....

>Anyone have one of these things??  Are they for real, or just a toy HRM??
>Should I buck up and by a Polar or the new Freestyle one??

A good friend picked up one of the Timex HRMs just a couple weeks back
and returned it within two days.  He reported that

1)  It did not seem to measure accurately
2)  Seemed to have a much slower response time than a Polar to changes
in HR
3)  The design of the transmitter strap was very poor.  It uses
velcro, and the way it winds up on your torso leaves the scratchiest
part of the velcro right under your arm where it chafes you absolutely
raw.
4)  He found the watchband design ergonomically uncomfortable---said
something about some bumps on the band that dug into his wrist.

Disappointing, because we all were hoping that Timex would give Polar
a run for its money.  God knows we all would benefit from an HRM
that's as accurate and reliable as a Polar and has the lap saving
capabilities, but which costs less and whose battery one can change
oneself.
_________
TriBaby
                                    _
                                  -    o
     '             -  __o       -    </\_
 `     '         -    \<         - __/\
   /\o_         - (()) (())        -  /
^^^^^^^^^^    

"Real triathletes don't draft."
http://www.stanford.edu/~brooksie

*New to triathlon?  Check out Hulaman's Simple TriTips:
 http://www.hulaman.com/triathlon/tritips.html    

 
 
 

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by George Hluc » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I just picked one up. Here is my two cents:

- Haven't compared accuracy, but it seems to work OK.
- I have no problem with the strap.  It has a velcro closure, but for me
it is nowhere near to being uncomfortable.
- Much more straightforward to use as compared to a higher end Polar.
- There are bumps on the wriststrap, but they don't seem to bother me.
And, I am usually pretty picky about wriststraps.  It can't compare to a
Nike Triax wriststrap, but it is better than the Timex 8-lap streamlined
watch.
- The manual says that the watch battery should be changed by a jeweler,
but you can change the cheststrap battery by yourself.

George

Quote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:49:35 -0400, "Brian"

> >Being the total watch junkie that I am... I always make a point to stop by
> >the Timex counter whenever my wife drags me shopping..... tonight on a trip
> >into one of my favorite stores (Target) I was checking out the new Timex IM
> >watches when I saw a really cool clear box with what appeared to be an HRM
> >inside. Lo and behold, it was the new 'Timex Ironman Fitness System'.  A
> >fully functional, Indiglo IM watch with a HRM strap included (wireless).
> >I have been looking into getting a HRM lately, the price seems very right
> >($75.00), AND the watch looks way cool by itself.... the only drawback is
> >all the splashy writing on the front of the transmitter....

> >Anyone have one of these things??  Are they for real, or just a toy HRM??
> >Should I buck up and by a Polar or the new Freestyle one??

> A good friend picked up one of the Timex HRMs just a couple weeks back
> and returned it within two days.  He reported that

> 1)  It did not seem to measure accurately
> 2)  Seemed to have a much slower response time than a Polar to changes
> in HR
> 3)  The design of the transmitter strap was very poor.  It uses
> velcro, and the way it winds up on your torso leaves the scratchiest
> part of the velcro right under your arm where it chafes you absolutely
> raw.
> 4)  He found the watchband design ergonomically uncomfortable---said
> something about some bumps on the band that dug into his wrist.

> Disappointing, because we all were hoping that Timex would give Polar
> a run for its money.  God knows we all would benefit from an HRM
> that's as accurate and reliable as a Polar and has the lap saving
> capabilities, but which costs less and whose battery one can change
> oneself.
> _________
> TriBaby
>                                     _
>                                   -    o
>      '             -  __o       -    </\_
>  `     '         -    \<         - __/\
>    /\o_         - (()) (())        -  /
> ^^^^^^^^^^

> "Real triathletes don't draft."
> http://www.stanford.edu/~brooksie

> *New to triathlon?  Check out Hulaman's Simple TriTips:
>  http://www.hulaman.com/triathlon/tritips.html

 
 
 

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by George Hluc » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

OK, today I ran with it to see how quickly the HRM responded to heart
rate changes.

I have to admit, it responds rather slowly.  The HRM would show no
change in heart rate after running a moderate incline for about 20-30
seconds.

Quote:

> I just picked one up. Here is my two cents:

> - Haven't compared accuracy, but it seems to work OK.
> - I have no problem with the strap.  It has a velcro closure, but for me
> it is nowhere near to being uncomfortable.
> - Much more straightforward to use as compared to a higher end Polar.
> - There are bumps on the wriststrap, but they don't seem to bother me.
> And, I am usually pretty picky about wriststraps.  It can't compare to a
> Nike Triax wriststrap, but it is better than the Timex 8-lap streamlined
> watch.
> - The manual says that the watch battery should be changed by a jeweler,
> but you can change the cheststrap battery by yourself.

> George


> > On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:49:35 -0400, "Brian"

> > >Being the total watch junkie that I am... I always make a point to stop by
> > >the Timex counter whenever my wife drags me shopping..... tonight on a trip
> > >into one of my favorite stores (Target) I was checking out the new Timex IM
> > >watches when I saw a really cool clear box with what appeared to be an HRM
> > >inside. Lo and behold, it was the new 'Timex Ironman Fitness System'.  A
> > >fully functional, Indiglo IM watch with a HRM strap included (wireless).
> > >I have been looking into getting a HRM lately, the price seems very right
> > >($75.00), AND the watch looks way cool by itself.... the only drawback is
> > >all the splashy writing on the front of the transmitter....

> > >Anyone have one of these things??  Are they for real, or just a toy HRM??
> > >Should I buck up and by a Polar or the new Freestyle one??

> > A good friend picked up one of the Timex HRMs just a couple weeks back
> > and returned it within two days.  He reported that

> > 1)  It did not seem to measure accurately
> > 2)  Seemed to have a much slower response time than a Polar to changes
> > in HR
> > 3)  The design of the transmitter strap was very poor.  It uses
> > velcro, and the way it winds up on your torso leaves the scratchiest
> > part of the velcro right under your arm where it chafes you absolutely
> > raw.
> > 4)  He found the watchband design ergonomically uncomfortable---said
> > something about some bumps on the band that dug into his wrist.

> > Disappointing, because we all were hoping that Timex would give Polar
> > a run for its money.  God knows we all would benefit from an HRM
> > that's as accurate and reliable as a Polar and has the lap saving
> > capabilities, but which costs less and whose battery one can change
> > oneself.
> > _________
> > TriBaby
> >                                     _
> >                                   -    o
> >      '             -  __o       -    </\_
> >  `     '         -    \<         - __/\
> >    /\o_         - (()) (())        -  /
> > ^^^^^^^^^^

> > "Real triathletes don't draft."
> > http://www.stanford.edu/~brooksie

> > *New to triathlon?  Check out Hulaman's Simple TriTips:
> >  http://www.hulaman.com/triathlon/tritips.html

 
 
 

New Timex IM Fitness System - Reviews?

Post by Bria » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well, I went out and bought one.  I agree, response is rather slow, but for
65 bucks... I'm not complaining too loudly !!

bd

Quote:

>OK, today I ran with it to see how quickly the HRM responded to heart
>rate changes.

>I have to admit, it responds rather slowly.  The HRM would show no
>change in heart rate after running a moderate incline for about 20-30
>seconds.