I got my flyer in the mail yesterday for the "Citizens Race" and was also
incredulous at the $100 price tag.
My guesses are:
1) We're subsidizing the World Champions and Pros who don't pay entrance
2) We're paying a premium to race the same course on the same day as the
World Champs and pros.
3) They've got to pay for the glossy full color brochure sent out to all
USAT members somehow.
4) This is a world class event that is worth the $100 based on food,
t-shirt, swim cap, etc. you'll receive
5) The entry fee is actually meant to discourage participation. In fact
the brochure sent out to everyone is meant to drive awareness and increase
tv viewership so the ITU can prove televising its events is worthwhile to
p.s. What was the price tag last year?