calf cramp during run

calf cramp during run

Post by chew » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by Larry M Dee » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I had this problem a lot when I first started.  Try doing some bricks so
your body gets used to running after pedaling.  It took me several years to
make that adaptation.

--
Larry Deem


Quote:
> I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
> tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
> in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
> quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by marty » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It's pretty normal to be tight at the beginning of the run, your
best bet is include in your training bricks, where you ride
(insert amount), then immediately run afterwards.  Helps your
body grow accustomed to the feeling.  You can also try doing a
workout that is something like 2 mile bike, 1/2 mile run 3 or 4
times.  Don't forget you're young for the sport so you got the
rest of your life to develop -don't burn out too early ;-)  good
luck.


Quote:

>I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
>tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
>in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
>quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

>* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can

also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and
Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by trInI » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Standing up on the last couple of hundred yards on the bike and carefully
stretching out the calves helps me quite a bit to loosen up before the run.

trInIc


Quote:
> I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
> tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
> in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
> quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful
 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by Wim Colgat » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You may be running on your toes -- have a real coach examine your gait. I had
trouble like this too, but a sports medicine practitioner convinced me to run
more heal-toe. No more calf cramps/tightness.

Wim

Quote:

> Standing up on the last couple of hundred yards on the bike and carefully
> stretching out the calves helps me quite a bit to loosen up before the run.

> trInIc



> > I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
> > tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
> > in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
> > quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
> related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
> Beautiful

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by Geoffr » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Alrigth, now I am confused...From everything I've read, you are
SUPPOSED to run toe to heal, and now you are saying that it should be
heal to toe?

Is this different for every body?

Geoffrey



Quote:
>You may be running on your toes -- have a real coach examine your gait. I had
>trouble like this too, but a sports medicine practitioner convinced me to run
>more heal-toe. No more calf cramps/tightness.

>Wim


>> Standing up on the last couple of hundred yards on the bike and carefully
>> stretching out the calves helps me quite a bit to loosen up before the run.

>> trInIc



>> > I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
>> > tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
>> > in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
>> > quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

>> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
>> related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
>> Beautiful

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by Wim Colgat » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It was explained to me like this:

If you run on your toes, your calf muscle has to stop 7 times your bodies weight
as you run. It then is used to push off (How CAN one run by pushing off at the
heel?). As such, the calf doesn't get much of a chance to relax -- and eventually
causes the tightness and cramping.

I came from a soccer background, where all we did where a whole bunch of connected
little sprints. Sprinting, I think, tends to make me run more forward (i.e.
leaning forward) and makes me run on my toes. As I've transitioned to longer
distances as a part of triathlons, I'm more neutral in my body position and run
more heel-toe. To tell you the truth, it feels a little better to.

Wim

Quote:

> Alrigth, now I am confused...From everything I've read, you are
> SUPPOSED to run toe to heal, and now you are saying that it should be
> heal to toe?

> Is this different for every body?

> Geoffrey



> >You may be running on your toes -- have a real coach examine your gait. I had
> >trouble like this too, but a sports medicine practitioner convinced me to run
> >more heal-toe. No more calf cramps/tightness.

> >Wim


> >> Standing up on the last couple of hundred yards on the bike and carefully
> >> stretching out the calves helps me quite a bit to loosen up before the run.

> >> trInIc



> >> > I am 16 and have only done a couple of sprint distance
> >> > tri's and a coulpe of duathlons. I always seem to get cramp
> >> > in my calfs at the begining of the run which slows me down
> >> > quite a lot. Any suggestions????????

> >> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
> >> related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
> >> Beautiful

 
 
 

calf cramp during run

Post by Mark Hick » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>It was explained to me like this:

>If you run on your toes, your calf muscle has to stop 7 times your bodies weight
>as you run. It then is used to push off (How CAN one run by pushing off at the
>heel?). As such, the calf doesn't get much of a chance to relax -- and eventually
>causes the tightness and cramping.

>I came from a soccer background, where all we did where a whole bunch of connected
>little sprints. Sprinting, I think, tends to make me run more forward (i.e.
>leaning forward) and makes me run on my toes. As I've transitioned to longer
>distances as a part of triathlons, I'm more neutral in my body position and run
>more heel-toe. To tell you the truth, it feels a little better to.

I've always found it's a speed thing.  When I run slower, I have a lot
more heel strike.  When I run faster, it's more on my toes.

On race days, it's a LOT faster, because I've switched to my flats,
which don't have much in the way of padding at the heels.  It's
amazing how much difference that makes...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.cynetfl.com/habanero/
Home of the $695 ti frame