SUNSCREEN opinions sought

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by david alber » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Can someone recommend a sunscreen that does not run into your eyes when you sweat (preferably one that is available in Canada)
Thanks,
Dave

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Fred » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I don't know of one in Canada but by far the best sunscreen
 I have ever used is called Beaver. Once you rub it in, it
feels dry and it has no taste or odor and it won't sting
your eyes. It's worth sending for and the address is:
Sunwet Labs Hawaii Inc.
350 Ward Ave. Suite 106-a
Honolulu, HI 96814

 By the way, I am in no way connected to this company.
 Steve Fredericks
 Oceanside, CA

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Iron Pe » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Dave says:

Quote:
> Can someone recommend a sunscreen that does not run into your eyes when
> you sweat (preferably one that is available in Canada)
> Thanks,
> Dave

The Coppertone Sport has been the best for me throughout triathloning. I
don't know if it is available in Canada, but I will buy one here before I
go somewhere out of the country. Besides, in Canada, you'll pay that crazy
14% tax on it.

Iron Pete

     -----I need a better slogan

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Rolf Aran » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>Dave said:
>> Can someone recommend a sunscreen that does not run into your eyes when
>> you sweat (preferably one that is available in Canada)
>> Thanks,
>> Dave


Quote:
>The Coppertone Sport has been the best for me throughout triathloning. I
>don't know if it is available in Canada, but I will buy one here before I
>go somewhere out of the country. Besides, in Canada, you'll pay that crazy
>14% tax on it.

I first bought the Coppertone Sport in Canada before IMC 1994.
The price was actually the same as, or lower than, what
I paid here in the US for it.  I bought it at the pharmacy in
Penticton (out towards the Walmart, I think.)

-Rolf

--
Call me IronMac ...
                        ... I tri ...
                                         ... I prefer Macintosh!
IMC '94 - 14:06:47   IMC '95 - 11:58:35    IMC '97 - 10:45:00

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Trione » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have had a great deal of success with the Coppertone Sport line. Both
SPF 15 and SPF 30. I have used the SPF 30 at Ironman Canada for the past
two years and it worked all day. However, there is a new line of skin care
products produced by a Canadian company called Kinesys. I have used their
sunscreen this spring and I would have to say that it is better than the
Coppertone. Went for a 20 mile run in the scorching Miami sun recently
with my pasty white Vancouver winter tan. Had the Kinesys SPF 15 on and I
was fine.

Steve Fleck

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Trione » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

With regards to IronPete's comments on Canadian taxes
and prices on the sunscreen thread:

Actually, a large nymber of consumer goods in Canada are
now priced at the same dollar value as in Canada as in the
U.S. However, you must remember that the U.S. dollar is
significantly stronger than the Canadian dollar. As of this
morning the US $ was about $1.27 as compared to the
Canadian $. Therefore, the sunscreen that you by in Canada at
$9.99 is quite a bit less than the same sunscreen priced at
$9.99 in the U.S. During a recent trip to the U.S., I was
astonished to see many common sporting goods items
priced at the same amout as they were in Canada. There
were no savings to be had by shopping in the U.S. In fact,
a contact of mine in the sporting goods business told me
that across the board, on average, Canada has some of the
lowest prices in the world for sporting goods equipment.
Now, in Canada we do pay about(some provinces have
slighty more or less tax) 14% tax on top of that. However,
I pay this tax safe in the knowledge that should I crash on
my bike, I can be taken to ANY hospital in the country and
receive the best medical treatment that is available to
me, no questions asked.  Finally, visitors to Canada
should know that they can claim back the 7% Goods and
Services tax when they leave the country. There are forms
that you must fill out and of course you must have the receipts.

In conclusion, the financial advantages to travelling to
Canada for Americans is quite significant. No wonder
that U.S. tourist visits to Canada are at an all time high
and Ironman Canada is being swamped by entries from the
U.S.. Show us the money!!!

Steve Fleck

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Ken Lanco » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Coppertone Sport 15spf in the cobalt blue plastic container as
indorsed by "Iron Pete" in a previous message is the best.  Goes on
easy, stays on under all kinds of conditions, and does exactly what
its supposed to do.  

Coppertone Sport  is available in Canada and yes, in BC you will pay
the 7% Provincial Sales Tax plus the 7% Goods and Services Tax.  You
can thank the previous federal government for that hair brained idea.

Ken



Quote:
>Can someone recommend a sunscreen that does not run into your eyes when you sweat (preferably one that is available in Canada)
>Thanks,
>Dave

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Tom Ru » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>... There
>were no savings to be had by shopping in the U.S. In fact,
>a contact of mine in the sporting goods business told me
>that across the board, on average, Canada has some of the
>lowest prices in the world for sporting goods equipment.

I have to say that you are only partly right.  Just try
pricing some high end Campy stuff for example.  Even after
taxes, duty and shipping, I often buy Campy parts at US
retail that are less than the Canadian WHOLESALE.

I do however, support the LBS as long as it is reasonable
(like 10 or 15% more than the US) 'cause I use them alot.
AAMOF, my last bike Trek OCLV was purchased here as the
differential was too small to warrant the trouble of a US
purchase.  

Quote:
>Now, in Canada we do pay about(some provinces have
>slighty more or less tax) 14% tax on top of that.

NO PROV SALES TAX in Alberta!  Another good reason to do a
triathlon here :=)

Quote:
>However,
>I pay this tax safe in the knowledge that should I crash on
>my bike, I can be taken to ANY hospital in the country and
>receive the best medical treatment that is available to
>me, no questions asked.  

If you actually believe this, the you are out of ouch with
the current medical system in Canada.  The move toward
privatization (and PPO, HMO and a lot of other TLAs) is
creating a multi-tiered ssytem.  Just look at Alberta and
Ontario.

Quote:
>Finally, visitors to Canada
>should know that they can claim back the 7% Goods and
>Services tax when they leave the country. There are forms
>that you must fill out and of course you must have the receipts.

This dones not apply to all GST, so be forewarned.

Quote:
>In conclusion, the financial advantages to travelling to
>Canada for Americans is quite significant. No wonder
>that U.S. tourist visits to Canada are at an all time high
>and Ironman Canada is being swamped by entries from the
>U.S.. Show us the money!!!

Yup...

Tom

 
 
 

SUNSCREEN opinions sought

Post by Kahuna36 » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I really hate to say it but one of the best I've found is the IRONMAN SPF
35, The reason I say I hate to say it is that I think the IRONMAN hype has
gotten just a wee bit out of hand ( yes I am blasphemous, I will say 100
Hail Tinley's later ). But this stuff works. It's not greasy, it doesn't
run and when you sweat you can't even taste it. ( hey sweat gets in my
mouth ). The only reason I tried it was I got a sample and took it to the
beach, used it once for 6 hrs in and out of the water and sand. ( I like
to make castles ). No problem at all... Actually went and bought some
about $7.00. and I still like it. Use it on my kids even.. And in Florida
it gets tested..