Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Francois Brisset » Thu, 22 Aug 1991 03:21:47


RACE RESULTS:  TORONTO WORLD CUP

The Toronto world cup race was held August 5 on a near
perfect day (despite a bit of wind).  This race was the
fifth on the world cup series and the second in Canada.
The field assembled for this was probably the strongest
ever assembled in Canada for an Olympic distance race.
Here are the results for the top men and women.

MEN RESULTS.                          

1-   1.50.18  Brad Bevan        Australia  
2-   1.51.13  Greg Welch        Australia  
3-   1.51.58  Dan Murray        Canada      
4-   1.52.36  Frank Clarke      Canada
5-   1.52.41  Mark Bates        Canada
6-   1.52.54  Nick Croft        Australia
7-   1.52.56  Leandro Macedo    Brazil
8-   1.53.09  Andrew McMartin   Canada
9-   1.53.44  Garrett McCarthy  U.S.A
10-  1.54.10  Simon Cassidy     Canada
others
15-  1.54.40  Jeff Devlin       U.S.A
16-  1.54.51  Ricardo Gonzalez  Mexico
20-  1.56.49  Andrew McNaughton U.S.A
21-  1.56.55  Mike Pigg         U.S.A
26-  1.58.44  Rip Esselstyn     U.S.A

Bevan had a great swim (a minute faster than Welch). Both
Aussies started the run together but Bevan was too strong
on the hilly run course.  The results outline the strength
of the Canadian team (Go Canada !!!) and the bad showing of the
Americans (Pigg flatted as far as I understand).  Note that
McMartin is still a junior and that was Bates' second race
coming out of a mononucleosis.

WOMEN RESULTS.

1.-  2.02.09  Karen Smyers      U.S.A.
2.-  2.03.11  Carol Montgomery  Canada
3.-  2.03.46  Joanne Ritchie    Canada
4.-  2.05.32  Terry Smith-Ross  Canada
5.-  2.06.41  Isabelle Mouthon  France
6.-  2.08.44  Sue Schlatter     Canada
7.-  2.09.11  Catharina Davies  Spain
8.-  2.09.29  Carol Gephart     U.S.A
9.-  2.09.39  Beth Mitchell     U.S.A
10.- 2.11.34  Beatrice Mouthon  France

Smyers and Montgomery battled it out on the run till
the 7 th kilometer when Smyers pulled away.  They faced
each other 3 times this year, Smyers leading 2-1.
The race will be on TSN in a couple of weeks.

How did I do ?    Don't ask.

  Francois Brissette
  McMaster University
  Hamilton, Canada

=====================================================



  ^^^^,__'    \^^^      (')\/(`)       ___/\
              '                            /_
  SWIMSWIMSWIMSWIM  BIKEBIKEBIKEBIKE  RUNRUNRUNRUN
=====================================================

 
 
 

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Keith Jacks » Sat, 24 Aug 1991 21:12:55


Quote:
>RACE RESULTS:  TORONTO WORLD CUP

>21-  1.56.55  Mike Pigg         U.S.A
>26-  1.58.44  Rip Esselstyn     U.S.A

>on the hilly run course.  The results outline the strength
>of the Canadian team (Go Canada !!!) and the bad showing of the
>Americans (Pigg flatted as far as I understand).  Note that

Mike Pigg (and Rip Esselstyn) also completed in the US Pro National
championship the day before in Cleveland with Pigg winning.  I
believe that could contribute to a bad showing in toronto!

Quote:

>WOMEN RESULTS.

>1.-  2.02.09  Karen Smyers      U.S.A.

Karen also completed in the Cleveland race on 8/4.  She won
that race too.  That is amazing!

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Jackson                  |     phone: 216-433-5105 or
Sverdrup Technology, Inc       |            216-891-2946


 
 
 

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Keith Jacks » Sat, 24 Aug 1991 23:06:52


Quote:

>>RACE RESULTS:  TORONTO WORLD CUP

>>21-  1.56.55  Mike Pigg         U.S.A
>>26-  1.58.44  Rip Esselstyn     U.S.A

>>on the hilly run course.  The results outline the strength
>>of the Canadian team (Go Canada !!!) and the bad showing of the
>>Americans (Pigg flatted as far as I understand).  Note that

>Mike Pigg (and Rip Esselstyn) also completed in the US Pro National
>championship the day before in Cleveland with Pigg winning.  I

                  ^^^^^^^^^^
***** I screwed up.  The Cleveland race was the next weekend (8/11) ***

Sorry.

Quote:
>believe that could contribute to a bad showing in toronto!

>>WOMEN RESULTS.

>>1.-  2.02.09  Karen Smyers      U.S.A.

>Karen also completed in the Cleveland race on 8/4.  She won
>that race too.  That is amazing!

>--
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Keith Jackson                  |     phone: 216-433-5105 or
>Sverdrup Technology, Inc       |            216-891-2946


--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Jackson                  |     phone: 216-433-5105 or
Sverdrup Technology, Inc       |            216-891-2946


 
 
 

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Ray Bradbu » Tue, 27 Aug 1991 07:01:12


Quote:
>RACE RESULTS:  TORONTO WORLD CUP

>MEN RESULTS.                          

>1-   1.50.18  Brad Bevan        Australia  
>2-   1.51.13  Greg Welch        Australia  
>6-   1.52.54  Nick Croft        Australia

Look at those aussies go. Boy are you Americans in trouble in
Oct. at the World Champs. (in Australia!!!). We have a few more
up out sleaves as well.

Ray.

 
 
 

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Francois Brisset » Tue, 27 Aug 1991 23:18:13

Quote:
>>MEN RESULTS.                          

>>1-   1.50.18  Brad Bevan        Australia  
>>2-   1.51.13  Greg Welch        Australia  

>>6-   1.52.54  Nick Croft        Australia

>Look at those aussies go. Boy are you Americans in trouble in
>Oct. at the World Champs. (in Australia!!!). We have a few more
>up out sleaves as well.

>Ray.

Unless Mark Allen shows up, I would say the Americans have a good
chance of finishing third.  The Canadians have been pretty consistent
on the world cup circuit so far and I would say that 4 guys and as many
women have a fair shot at a top ten placing in Australia this October.
With the Europeans coming strong, the American domination of the sport
is almost a thing of the past.

Go Canada !!!

  Francois Brissette
  McMaster University
  Hamilton, Canada

=====================================================



  ^^^^,__'    \^^^      (')\/(`)       ___/\
              '                            /_
  SWIMSWIMSWIMSWIM  BIKEBIKEBIKEBIKE  RUNRUNRUNRUN
=====================================================

 
 
 

Toronto World Cup RACE RESULTS

Post by Ray Bradbu » Thu, 29 Aug 1991 07:55:25


Quote:

>>Look at those aussies go. Boy are you Americans in trouble in
>>Oct. at the World Champs. (in Australia!!!). We have a few more
>>up out sleaves as well.

>Unless Mark Allen shows up, I would say the Americans have a good
>chance of finishing third.

If I remember rightly Greg Welch cam VERY close to beating Mark
on a couple of occasions, and actually beat him once this year
(the race with Pigg 1st, Welch 2nd and Allen 3rd).

I haven't been kept up to date with the recent US races. Is Allen
doing any better than his early season form? If not, I think there
are 3 Australians that can beat him - can't comment on the
Canadians as I don't know much about them.

Ray.