CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

Post by Baroo » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00


I seem to have a problem with cramping in my quads during the run portion of a
race.  And what I have also figured out, is that it only happens when I travel
for races....i.e. airplanes.  I know you can get dehydrated but I hydrate so
well that I need to be very close to a restroom.

Do you think that drinking bottled water can take too many minerals out of your
body?  Since, when I travel, I do hydrate with bottled water.  I'd appreciate
your feedback.

 
 
 

CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

Post by TECo » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Drinking too much water can leach the electrolytes out of your body.  But
cramping can come from many other sources, injury, fatigue, temperature...



Quote:
> I seem to have a problem with cramping in my quads during the run portion
of a
> race.  And what I have also figured out, is that it only happens when I
travel
> for races....i.e. airplanes.  I know you can get dehydrated but I hydrate
so
> well that I need to be very close to a restroom.

> Do you think that drinking bottled water can take too many minerals out
of your
> body?  Since, when I travel, I do hydrate with bottled water.  I'd
appreciate
> your feedback.


 
 
 

CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

Post by Natalie & Ste » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Drinking too much water can leach the electrolytes out of your body.  But
> cramping can come from many other sources, injury, fatigue, temperature...

I've experienced quad cramping during the run after biking for the last
8 years.  In every triathlon, duathlon or brick that I've done in the
past 8 years the ache/pain in my quads is always what holds me back.
When the pain starts, I know that I have to slow down or else they'll
cramp up on me.  If I ignore the pain and continue to run at the same
pace or faster, cramping and severe PAIN occurs ... I end up walking,
jogging or a combo of the two to the finish.  The pain will keep me from
running for a couple days if I ignore the warning signs and continue to
push into the CRAMP ZONE.

I'm still not completely sure about the cause but I suspect that it's
related to minerals and cycling intensity.  I've ruled out injury,
fatigue, overhydration and temperature.  The pain seems to be less and
take longer before it sets in on the run if I eat a banana or two
immediately before the race or workout (potassium ?).   The same if I
just cruise on the bike (tough to do ... the bike used to be my
strongest event).  In my first few years of triathlon ('87-'89) I didn't
really know how to push myself on the bike and I stayed out of the
cramping zone.  I've learned to start the run out slowly (tough to do
... my body wants to really move once I get off the bike) and gradually
increase my effort through the run hoping that the pain won't occur.
It's frustrating knowing that the rest of your body can go faster (my 5
and 10k time tell me this) but those damn quads are slowing me down !

Any suggestions ?

S2

**************************************
Stew Blake

***************************************

 
 
 

CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

Post by David Baldwi » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> I seem to have a problem with cramping in my quads during the run portion of a
> race.  And what I have also figured out, is that it only happens when I travel
> for races....i.e. airplanes.  I know you can get dehydrated but I hydrate so
> well that I need to be very close to a restroom.

> Do you think that drinking bottled water can take too many minerals out of your
> body?  Since, when I travel, I do hydrate with bottled water.  I'd appreciate
> your feedback.

I have similar problems with cramps, and have noticed an airplane link in some
cases, or a long car trip (1 day or more). I haven't found a reliable solution
unfortunately. Magnesium supplements have been suggested. Also plenty of
stretching, including ITBs particularly.

I also seem to cramp onto the bike after a long swim (1.5km+) - I think I have
isolated this to a bio-mechanical problem and have avoided it successfully by
kicking like mad for the last few hundred metres of the swim. I wish I'd
remembered in the recent Sri Chinmoy Triple Tri :-(

Always looking for suggestions/insights...

David.
--
=======================================================================+

Head, Teaching and Learning     URL:   http://tltsu.anu.edu.au/~dgb900 |
  Technology Support Unit       phone: {intl+61+2 | (02)} 6249 5026    |
Australian National University  FAX:   {intl+61+2 | (02)} 6249 3992    |
Canberra ACT 0200, AUSTRALIA  *========================================+

 
 
 

CRAMPING IN QUADS DURING THE RUN

Post by Rick Denn » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Maybe try some strength training?

On Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:51:44 -0500, Natalie & Stew

Quote:

>It's frustrating knowing that the rest of your body can go faster (my 5
>and 10k time tell me this) but those damn quads are slowing me down !

>Any suggestions ?

>S2

>**************************************
>Stew Blake

>***************************************

Rick Denney
Take what you want and leave the rest.