Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Hong-liang X » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 06:47:18


  During Korea War, the US Army generals and soldiers alike
  thought that Chinese people are not as heroic as they are,
  Chinese are ***, lame, ..., etc. They paid this ignorance
  dearly with their lifes and a biggest defeat in the US war history.

  And they think that Chinese people don't have the integrity and
  morality that they have (said by NBC anchormen in '92 Olympic
  swimming coverage), yet the Chinese troops during Korean war had often
  allowed the US troops who lost fighting capacity to retreat gracefully,
  and China is the country that treated the US POW _most_ leniently
  in the US war history.

  Hong

 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by George Q Wa » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 03:00:46

:This does not mean that I feel that the Chinese athletes are using
:steroids.  Perhaps the success can be attributed to the soup, the worms,
:Ma' workouts, or whatever else they've told us so far.  However, China's
:sudden explosion on to the international sports scene is cause for
:suspicion, and those suspicions are not racially motivated.

:The world was equally critical of East Germany's success in the 1970's, so
:how do you explain racism in that example?

Bad example. Because at that time East Germany was considered "east" by
the western world. Wasn't USSR considered "east" during the Cold War?
After the "end" of East Germany, people accepted every achievement by
Franzisca Van Almsick ( she is from East Germany ), the reason is simple:
Now she is considered as " western people " !

:The fact of the matter is that most people in the sports world are
:paranoid about foul play.  Look at Ben Johnson or Diego Maradona.  Here in

Did they use headlines like " medals and suspisions piled up " in national
medias in 1987 when Ben Johnson beat Carl Lewis in Rome WC ?  No.  Only
after he tested positive one year later, people began to point fingers to
him.  That is the difference.

 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Matt Rada » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 01:40:57

Personally, I think that this whole debate is getting tiresome.  Yet one
thing that is bothering me is that racism is being brought up to much.

I will not deny the fact that many westerners probably are biased against
Asians and do not believe that they are as athletic other people.  I do
not believe this, yet I am suspicious of China's success.

I would be suspicious of any country that became *** in so many
sports so quickly, especially when that country did not have a history of
success in those sports.  If the Australians, Canadians, or even the
Americans performed the way that many Chinese athletes have performed over
the past year I would be equally suspicious.

This does not mean that I feel that the Chinese athletes are using
steroids.  Perhaps the success can be attributed to the soup, the worms,
Ma' workouts, or whatever else they've told us so far.  However, China's
sudden explosion on to the international sports scene is cause for
suspicion, and those suspicions are not racially motivated.

The world was equally critical of East Germany's success in the 1970's, so
how do you explain racism in that example?

The fact of the matter is that most people in the sports world are
paranoid about foul play.  Look at Ben Johnson or Diego Maradona.  Here in
America, we are equally as concerned about fair competition on both the
amateur and professional levels.  The NCAA, NBA, NFL, NHL, and Major
League Baseball are all highly intolerant of steroid or other
performance-enhancing drug use.

In a final controversial note, I must state that China does not have a
good track record for honesty in the international community.  You can
tell me that I'm brainwashed by the western media all you want, but it is
a fact that China has denied its atrocious human rights violations, its
treatment of Tibet, and the shocking amount of slave labor in that
country.

After watching Deng Xiaoping tell Tom Brokaw on live television that there
was no demonstration or uprising in Tiannimen Square, I have difficulty in
accepting truth in anything the Chinese government says.  I don't care if
anyone was hurt or not in Tiannimen Square, China has played down the
incident and denied the torture and executions of the demonstraters.

China's treatment of the whole affair has tarnished its reputation as an
honest nation for a whole generation of people.

And THAT is why there is a definite bias, although I do not feel that it
is racist, against China's recent success.

 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Jolp » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 15:51:04


Wang) writes

"Did they use headlines like " medals and suspisions piled up " in
national
medias in 1987 when Ben Johnson beat Carl Lewis in Rome WC ?  No.  Only
after he tested positive one year later, people began to point fingers to
him.  That is the difference."
__________________
The papers might not have used those headlines, but people who knew
anything about T&F knew what was going on.

 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Hong-liang X » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 10:31:49

Quote:
> >  During Korea War, the US Army generals and soldiers alike
> >  thought that Chinese people are not as heroic as they are,
> >  Chinese are ***, lame, ..., etc. They paid this ignorance
> >  dearly with their lifes and a biggest defeat in the US war history.
> Sorry to steal your thunder, but you're wrong! The U.S.'s biggest defeat

Cute stealing...

According to the book "Korea, the first war we lost" written by Bevin
                                  ^^^^^^
Alexander (1986), when the US' winter offense ended in 1951, its entire
8th Army (100,000+ strong) had been disbanded disastrously.

Quote:
> was the defeat they suffered at the hands of the Canadians and British in
> their attempt to annex Canada in 1812. We burned their capitol building,

Congratulations!  

I'm afraid, however, that nobody seems to bother with that "big"
defeat now. :-(

And, thanks for the lesson.  

Hong

 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Kevin Brian Tre » Sat, 22 Oct 1994 11:48:43

Isn't there a history newsgroup or something that would better
suit this debate?  I don't see what all this has to do with the
Olympics, unless the IOC is going to award medals for wars.
  I am a graduate student in history, and if I wanted to read
or write about wars, I would find a better source.
 
 
 

Accusations Biased, But Not Racist

Post by Matt Simmo » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 01:11:12


: Isn't there a history newsgroup or something that would better
: suit this debate?  I don't see what all this has to do with the
Actually, since the next Olympics won't happen till 96, this is what we
do for fun to keep the group from stagnating...  I seem to remember
getting about 10 messages per month around August 93 or so...  I prefer
r.s.o the way it is -- it's a great homework delayer.